• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
E67aW-QVkAMfJKY

E67abkYUYAA1yBS

I'm not a fan of the blue/green combo of Slovenian shirts. Is there a reason for this combo, because i can't recall any green in the national colors. Not that that's a requirement obviously (there's no blue in the Belgian or Italian flag or Orange in the Dutch flag), but i don't find the combination as pleasant. It does stand out though.

He's probably more likely to get a gold certification for his next heavy metal album.
Clearly that's a disco rhythm.

any chance that the normal pro tour teams end up working together instead of the national teams?

Happened in 2000 when T Mobile for one of the few times decided to ride as a team and took 1, 2, 3 with Ullrich, Kloden, and Vino.

Bruyneel also got involved in a Spanish dispute over the 2008 TT results. Spain wanted Levi DQed so Contador would get bronze, but Buryneel got involved in that appeal

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
You’re right that teams and riders might consider that strategy because Pog and Rog would pummel them on the last climb, but that doesn’t mean it’s reasonable to expect they will execute that strategy. At Flanders, the entire peloton knew that it was almost impossible to stay with Cancellara on the Oude Kwaremont, but very few riders ever tried or were able to execute the strategy of being out in front before that climb.

Much easier to execute that strategy here with the team sizes imo. No one team or even two teams can control the race here. In most WT races the top teams can do that. For the teams then with more options like Spain, Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, France etc it just makes sense for them to get riders up the road before that last climb and have their No1 options try to follow Pog and Rog then. Like I can't imagine someone leaves Wout go up the road but they'll leave GVA, Vansevenant or Benoot. That's what those teams should be doing imo.

Much easier to execute that strategy here with the team sizes imo. No one team or even two teams can control the race here. In most WT races the top teams can do that. For the teams then with more options like Spain, Belgium, Italy, Netherlands, France etc it just makes sense for them to get riders up the road before that last climb and have their No1 options try to follow Pog and Rog then. Like I can't imagine someone leaves Wout go up the road but they'll leave GVA, Vansevenant or Benoot. That's what those teams should be doing imo.
Well I hope you’re right because that will be make the race much interesting to watch!

Probably stating the obvious but I'm struggling to see a race situation where WVA can actually get himself in a position to win unless Belgium get their tactics absolutely spot on.

It's fine when he is the strongest rider on the parcours (e.g. strafe bianchi), but he's almost certainly no going to be the fastest man up the final climb.

No one's going to work with him out front in a break, and no one is going to work with him behind a break in the last 30km either.

There's some strong TT'ers who suit the final climb a lot better who are very unlikely to let him ride himself back into contention if they lose him up Mikuni.

Interested to hear the bettiol chat. Put a few £ on him the other day as an outside bet. Was absolutely flying by the end of the Giro. He's obviously not going to be storming up the final climb ahead of Rog & Pog but if the race becomes uncontrolled he could keep himself in contention for the run-in.

I think this will come down to Jetlag and heat tolerance rather than pure climbing ability as to who is in contention in the last 30km. I'd predict a small group of non-favourites or lone rider to get away at some point whilst the others behind refuse to work, rather than a LBL scenario where a group of favourites come to the line together.

Olympics like the worlds is different to the monuments as a top 3 still delivers a tangible reward so if the group is small enough I think that others will offer at least a few turns if not 100% committment.

He will be dropped on the descent of Fuji when Nibali goes hard.
Evenepoel will do fine in the descents. Nice and big roads. Smaller peleton if not mistaken. This is his first real peak ( remco and goals = bingo). Small teams, race difficult to contol, most domestiques will be gone after Fuji. And he s considered as an underdog so he will have the space for an attack between Fuji and Mikuli pass.

I'm not a fan of the blue/green combo of Slovenian shirts. Is there a reason for this combo, because i can't recall any green in the national colors. Not that that's a requirement obviously (there's no blue in the Belgian or Italian flag or Orange in the Dutch flag), but i don't find the combination as pleasant. It does stand out though.

Clearly that's a disco rhythm.

TL;DR: we're too young of a country to get an early pick at colours and our flag colors permutation is so common, we had to find something that stands out more and can still be seen as representing the country in a way (it's more of a natural symbolic representation, than political symbolic representation (which our (like French) flag colors stand for)).

Slovenia has had green colour as a base for clothes for most sports (most importantly footbal and basketball teams) since I was aware of.
Blue replacing green was a thing for some time in last ~10-15 years, but now it looks like they decided that mixture is the best. (and I must say I think our outfits in sports are getting nicer these last years, with expected fluctuations of course)
508555270.jpg

tbh, I just went to check for some examples and the first picture I saw was Andrej Hauptman thrid place in Lisbona 2001 WC, with exactly the green-blue combination and "Triglav" mountain motive in the upper part, so here's that...

It's an interesting question, where did the green/blue first start, the most I could find was this (machine translation):
When it comes to the color image of Slovenian athletes, it is necessary to delve a little deeper into history. On the basis of the campaign "Slovenia, my country", in 1988, on the initiative of Ivo Daneu, Vital Eiselt and Tom Levovnik, an equipment design was made with four basic colors - green, blue, yellow and white. In 2007, the Assembly of the Olympic Committee eliminated yellow from the set of colors. We asked the president of the Olympic Committee of Slovenia and the greatest authority in our sport, Janez Kocijančič, why they did not choose color combinations from the Slovenian tricolor. "The color combination of the Slovenian flag is known in many countries of the world, which were created during the spring of nations, when the countries were inspired by the French flag. Precisely because of this, we were looking for a specific combination in sports with which to be recognizable. Due to the linden leaf and green areas in the country, the green color also represents Slovenia. Already at the recently concluded Mediterranean Games in Mersin, Turkey, we were able to see that none of the twenty-four contestants had a combination of green, blue and white. Blue and white, for example, are used by at least fifteen teams. By no means do we want to repeat the colors of clubs at the national level, "says Janez Kocijančič.
( https://www.dnevnik.si/1042596480 )

Last edited:
Evenepoel will do fine in the descents. Nice and big roads. Smaller peleton if not mistaken. This is his first real peak ( remco and goals = bingo). Small teams, race difficult to contol, most domestiques will be gone after Fuji. And he s considered as an underdog so he will have the space for an attack between Fuji and Mikuli pass.
he wont and he isnt considered an underdog, he is 4th favorite based on the betting odds

Pog will sacrifice himself for Rog, he is younger still has time to win, bag full of Tours already and feels sorry Rog crashed out of the Tour. Problem is Rog will not be able to bag the Olympic gold. In fact I don't think he'll be on the podium.
They won't work for each other until Mikuni, and on the climb they will see who's the stronger one. I think that Rog will be stronger than Pog.

TRENDING THREADS