• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think all of you guys are exaggerating the problem of recognizing the riders, even if the majority of them will be in the white. The combination of the kit (nation), bike&helmet and style od riding is unique for each of the riders. Actually, imo it's harder to tell the riders apart when they ride for their non-national teams, as in every team, everyone has exactly the same bike, helmet, sunglasses..
Even with the Yatesy brothers it's so simple, cause they ride totally different bikes and wearing different helmets!

Guy on a Trek in Dutch colours? Mollema
BMC owner in Belgian kit? GvA
Pinarello in Polish team? Kwiato
etc etc

Of course, the situation is getting more complicated when we have two guys or more (I think only Spain has 3 Astana guys) from one nation riding for the same team. Like Carapaz & Narvaez or Nibali & Ciccone. But please tell me, who wouldn't distinguish Nibali from Ciccone?!

I truly believe in you, that after all those years watching cycling races, you won't have any issues with it and when Evenepoel drops on Mikuni you won't think it's Higuita just because they wear similair kits! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think all of you guys are exaggerating the problem of recognizing the riders, even if the majority of them are mostly white. The combination of the kit (nation), bike&helmet and style od riding is unique for each of the riders. Actually, imo it's harder to tell the riders apart when they ride for their non-national teams, as in every team, everyone has exactly the same bike, helmet, sunglasses..
Even with the Yatesy brothers it's so simple, cause they ride totally different bikes and wearing different helmets!

etc etc

Of course, the situation is getting more complicated when we have two guys or more (I think only Spain has 3 Astana guys) from one nation riding for the same team. Like Carapaz & Narvaez or Nibali & Ciccone. But please tell me, who wouldn't distinguish Nibali from Ciccone?!

I truly believe in you, that after all those years watching cycling races, you won't have any issues with it and when Evenepoel drops on Mikuni you won't think it's Higuita just because they wear similair kits! ;)
CN doesn't even think Evenepoel drops when it's really Evenepoel.

I think all of you guys are exaggerating the problem of recognizing the riders, even if the majority of them will be in the white. The combination of the kit (nation), bike&helmet and style od riding is unique for each of the riders. Actually, imo it's harder to tell the riders apart when they ride for their non-national teams, as in every team, everyone has exactly the same bike, helmet, sunglasses..

etc etc

You understand we’re just goofing around when we talk about not telling riders apart? Just random chatter while getting excited about the race just hours away?:)

etc etc

I have no problem recognising individual riders, but it's a lot quicker and more accurate if I immediately can see what team (nation) they ride for. Especially for spotting where certain riders are in the peloton.

etc etc

It's going to be really hard in the helicopter shots, though, and I often have problems recognizing the riders in their national kits anyway, because I am not used to see them in it. Of course when I think about it it's often possible to tell them apart, but in a race you often don't have the time to think about it, just a second, or the rider doesn't come into view so well that you can tell all details. I don't really get what's so difficult about having some stricter rules about this, when there are rules for everything. Apart from the countries themselves who should have some interest in having a recognizable kit that stands for the country.

Reactions: jmdirt
Imagine sprinting in a small group for the win then being like "who the hell are you actually"

Like Nibali said to himself when he beat Valverde in that Giro sprint?

Nicki Sørensen famously thought he was riding against Mikel Astarloza when he won won his Tour stage in 2009 (or at least that was what he called Martinez in his victory interview), but even though they don't have race radios here, they will probably still be able to recognise most riders without any help.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Just read up about that speed skating fiasco.

You have to feel for the Dutch, technically excellent at a lot of sports, but whatever can go wrong usually does, that boy was styling out there.

I still think if The Chicken was on a different team he wins that tour, Rabo are still a bad omen to this day.

Anyway, Eddie Dunbar, 150/1, looked very sharp in Suisse, coming into good form it seems.

Dumoulin-e1618756778215-600x344.jpg

Dutch apparel.

TRENDING THREADS