• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think it's going to rain anymore, the storm has passed and is going north, due to hit Sendai. Unless there's a cloud band that passes through, but the rain stopped and it was a sunny arvo in Tokyo today. It looks like it might be a little windy in the afternoon, though nothing like typhoon wind.

Rain map

tropical storm map

Tokyo (city) temps for tomorrow (and wind)

The German women absolutely destroyed the team pursuit record by 3 seconds, on a supposedly "not particularly fast" track according to the commentators. Everyone else was a bit ragged after that German time shook things up.

Now watching Ganna pouring out the power in the men's pursuit... people struggling to stay on his wheel. And it's a new OR.

edit: Sorry, guess I shouldn't post about this in this thread in the road racing section, guess the Ganna link is a tenuous justification but will post in track cycling in future.

The German women absolutely destroyed the team pursuit record by 3 seconds, on a supposedly "not particularly fast" track according to the commentators. Everyone else was a bit ragged after that German time shook things up.

Now watching Ganna pouring out the power in the men's pursuit... people struggling to stay on his wheel. And it's a new OR.

edit: Sorry, guess I shouldn't post about this in this thread in the road racing section, guess the Ganna link is a tenuous justification but will post in track cycling in future.
That forum seems dead.

Tanti auguri bambini!

I'm alright with track cycling being discussed in this thread as well.

Nasty crash for Alexander Porter.

And the Brits are not as fast as seen in the past, though they still beat their own record.

Last edited:
That Philip Ganna is a mighty strong looking chap, sure be a shame if someone...

Gave him a British passport and tried turning him into a GC rider.

Thomas-Brailsford.jpg

Italy is looking good for Silver, they can beat NZ in the sf.
Gold will be realky hard unless GB manages to push the Danes to their limit in the other sf, so that their legs are gone in the final.

Ganna is in great shape, Consonni is a class rider, Lamon is a great starter and a bit of a freak of nature (a great 1km rider despite being also a part time roadie and only 60kg) and Milan pretty much did only track specific work from the cobbled classics onwards until he raced that prep race in Sardinia where he almost beat Ackermann in that bunch sprint.

But at least the British dominance has been broken. Not that I have anything against them, though of course I'm a bit thrilled that the Danes are at the top right now, but it's just much better when there's more fierce competition. The British team tis time aorund is not very experienced, even though they still have Mr. World Record himself in Ed Clancy.

Now the question if is any of the teams have better times in them right now, or if they're going to fade in the first round and/or final.

But at least the British dominance has been broken. Not that I have anything against them, though of course I'm a bit thrilled that the Danes are at the top right now, but it's just much better when there's more fierce competition. The British team tis time aorund is not very experienced, even though they still have Mr. World Record himself in Ed Clancy.

Now the question if is any of the teams have better times in them right now, or if they're going to fade in the first round and/or final.
The Men are only racing once per day, so I doubt that they'll really fade. With the Women having to race twice tomorrow (if they want a medal) we could see someone fade in the finals.

Britain has enough medals from mountain biking and BMX. In fact it has enough medals full stop. The British media are going crazy even though the sports they have thrown money at (rowing, running and jumping) haven't come up with the goods.

Magic tape, love that, not quite in the category of skullduggery that led Philip Hindes to brazenly admit to falling off on purpose after a bad start, but pretty entertaining stuff anyway.

Speaking of, not looking as good for the brits this year, I assume because they haven't listened to my well informed track cycling commentary and my innovative suggestion to bring back Wiggo.

Britain has enough medals from mountain biking and BMX. In fact it has enough medals full stop. The British media are going crazy even though the sports they have thrown money at (rowing, running and jumping) haven't come up with the goods.
Rowing absolutely. But what are you talking about running and jumping? I don't doubt Team GB will underperfom, but the athletics has barely started.

Not any more.

Times are still coming down in chunks, mind.

The German women smashed the record once again, but the Brits came a lot closer to them in the first round. It will be an exciting final later.

And now even the Canadian men can do sub 3:47. And the Aussies took some revenge for yesterday by setting a new OR.

TRENDING THREADS