• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 active cyclists

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
airstream said:
Why? Then Di Luca was pulling the group during 25km on Giau, Tre Croci and Tre Cime - we all know how difficult and steep these climbs are, drilling it from about 30 to 5 guys and after he attacked miraculously, having dropped Simoni and Schleck. Sadly he couldn't take the stage as the breakaway was far away. It wasn't stuff we see every year. Though, somehow people rarely remember that stage probably because of unpopularity of that Giro.

fangirl is a girl who supports a rider for the fact how lovely he smiles at spring giro sunny.

By the way, interesting fact that I don't know Katusha fanboys even within Russian speaking cycling community. ) They support Contador, Basso, Menchov personally, Gesink, but not Katusha.. :D
Are you saying I don't remember a Giro stage? :eek: there have been better stages than that and more impressive rides. For example Aprica 2006 and Chianale 2003.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Are you saying I don't remember a Giro stage? :eek: there have been better stages than that and more impressive rides. For example Aprica 2006 and Chianale 2003.

Of course not! I know you know them better than all of us. :) The 2006 Aprica stage was full of anguish and predetermination..:( Poor Simoni.

Netserk said:
Roughly my reasoning was TdF > WCRR > Giro and Vuelta > Monument > Stage races (P-N, T-A, VPV, DL, TdS) > Classics

So Vino and Valverde have both won 2 L-B-L and Vuelta, and Cunego has won 3 GdL and Giro. I think that's all better than 2 GdL and 1 L-B-L :)

Do you consider Paris-Nice to be worth more than something like Fleche Wallone?

Just wondering.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Roughly my reasoning was TdF > WCRR > Giro and Vuelta > Monument > Stage races (P-N, T-A, VPV, DL, TdS) > Classics

So Vino and Valverde have both won 2 L-B-L and Vuelta, and Cunego has won 3 GdL and Giro. I think that's all better than 2 GdL and 1 L-B-L :)

Yes, but you ignore quite a few things.

2x Amstel Gold Race
1x Ardennes treble
1x Flèche-Wallonne
1x Clasica San Sebastian
2x Omloop het Volk
2x Paris-Tours

And I'm going to be honest, I don't hold all that much value to Cunego's Giro win: just look at the amount of stages Petacchi won there. And I don't really agree that those stage races are better than classics. Most of them are used as mere training prep for GTs or Monuments.

El Pistolero said:
Yes, but you ignore quite a few things.

2x Amstel Gold Race
1x Ardennes treble
1x Flèche-Wallonne
1x Clasica San Sebastian
2x Omloop het Volk
2x Paris-Tours

And I'm going to be honest, I don't hold all that much value to Cunego's Giro win: just look at the amount of stages Petacchi won there. And I don't really agree that those stage races are better than classics. Most of them are used as mere training prep for GTs.

Netserk said:
Based on results:

<snip>

EDIT: Maybe Gilbert should be 10th and the others moved up

First things first: I wrote that it was based on results -> a Giro is a Giro. Otherwise Evans should be moved down.
Second: I would dare to say that Het Volk is used just as must as a prep race as the stage races ;)
Last: I do think that Cancellara's T-A is more impressive than his 2010 E3 :)

EDIT: I do think that Gilbert is one of the best riders atm, but I do think that his palmares is overrated :)

TRENDING THREADS