• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 5 super-domestique moments 2011

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RedheadDane said:
Yeah... but that was an accident... :p

He said so, yes.
But if I had just pulled the Tour de France for the better part of two weeks, I'd never even think about going with a break on my "day off". I'd sit next to Cavendish in the back of the peloton, occasionally getting some bottles from the car, but otherwise not move a finger.

Maybe he just couldn't adjust to the fact that he wouldn't be riding in the wind all day, and "fixed" that problem in his way... ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Any love for Marcus Burghardt? Throughout the whole tour he was excellent and especially in that stage Evans won as Marcus and George did a great job to get him up the frotn and then start setting tempo.

Fus087 said:
He said so, yes.
But if I had just pulled the Tour de France for the better part of two weeks, I'd never even think about going with a break on my "day off". I'd sit next to Cavendish in the back of the peloton, occasionally getting some bottles from the car, but otherwise not move a finger.

Maybe he just couldn't adjust to the fact that he wouldn't be riding in the wind all day, and "fixed" that problem in his way... ;)

I think it was something with some other guy he couldn't allow to get away... but yeah: crazy.
And just remember; it wasn't the only break he got in... :rolleyes:

auscyclefan94 said:
Any love for Marcus Burghardt? Throughout the whole tour he was excellent and especially in that stage Evans won as Marcus and George did a great job to get him up the frotn and then start setting tempo.

He was excellent part of the problem with him though is it what largely unseen also due to the fact he done such a good job there arent any real standout moments that caught the eye but I agree Marcus was superb.

RedheadDane said:
I think it was something with some other guy he couldn't allow to get away... but yeah: crazy.
I remember that now. But couldn't a teammate (poor Pate if nobody else was around...) have done that?
The guy is nuts. In a good way.

RedheadDane said:
And just remember; it wasn't the only break he got in... :rolleyes:

Bak on the Champs-Élysées. :cool:
Almost forgot about that.

What a season he's had: In the winning break in Paris-Roubaix, pulling Cavendish to a couple of sprint wins & a green jersey, having a go at a stage himself - and another possibly more incredible go at THE stage everybody wants to win, and finally trying his best one month ago, with tens (hundreds?) of thousands of Danes (you and me included ;) ) screaming him around the Worlds course.
In my opinion the best Danish rider this year.
But I digress, this thread is about the super-domestique.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Most of a domestiques work is done in the first 2-3hrs of a race when they don't even film it. i think consistency is important also. Just as Andy Shleck just peaks for the tour, so do many domestiques, that are dead weight the rest of the season. Save those issues I'd have to go with Froome at the Vuelta and (ironically) Wiggins and the whole GB team at the Worlds.

Dupont for Gadret in Giro. Domestique is supposed to set a good pace. Dropping all your rivals for you in an attack is a big bonus:p

Have people forgotten about Busche for Horner Levi?

I like Thomas for EBH leadout for the sprint Hagen won.

Ebh for Wiggo in Dauphine.

Froome for Wiggins.

Niemiec for Scarponi everywhere,

Phil for Andre in the sprint he won.

Andy for Frank - set Frank up for a TDF win on Alpe. Frank failed.

Contador for Paolo.

Mambo95 said:
DDLF dropping Cobo, DDLF sure wants to shoot himself now (or Cobo). - Havetts[/I]

lol, thats a good comment.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Dupont for Gadret in Giro. Domestique is supposed to set a good pace. Dropping all your rivals for you in an attack is a big bonus:p

Froome for Wiggins.

Contador for Paolo.

I hope the statement I made bold is some sort of joke. Andy certainly didn't set Frank up

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
For me it has to be EBH at the Dauphine. Incredible turn to shred the field! I recall reading that the following morning Ivan Basso went and shook his hand because he thought it was incredible.

The Hitch said:

Froome for Wiggins.

Contador for Paolo.

Contador for Paolo:D No brainer, close the thread:D

Excellent review thread. Having seen them all, I wouldn't disagree with any of the nominations. (Except perhaps Thor H, because as pointed out, team leader DQF)

I'd like to add Geraint Thomas to the list. Fantastic throughout the year and particularly the Tour.
However, his "moment" would be at the Ronde, working for Flecha, but ultimately the chasing group/s. Simply phenomenal.

No votes for ACF taking massive pulls, every time Cadel hit the front?:eek::D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Excellent review thread. Having seen them all, I wouldn't disagree with any of the nominations. (Except perhaps Thor H, because as pointed out, team leader DQF)

I'd like to add Geraint Thomas to the list. Fantastic throughout the year and particularly the Tour.
However, his "moment" would be at the Ronde, working for Flecha, but ultimately the chasing group/s. Simply phenomenal.

lovely double entendre :D but not what i want to visualise :eek:

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

post of the year

auscyclefan94 said:
I hope the statement I made bold is some sort of joke. Andy certainly didn't set Frank up

Yeah he did. He killed himself on Iozard -flat - flat - Galibier while Frank rode in the group.

He then killed himself following Contador while Frank rode in the group.

It was there for Frank to launch an attack on Alpe.

But he didnt do it.

I think if Evans hadnt got his mechanical on telegraphe, maybe Frank would have been in an even better position.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I go with Bak, Pate at the Tour, Froome on the flat for the Worlds and on climbs in the Vuelta, Wiggins at the Worlds. Also Vanendert, Rollands.

G Thomas for ultra fast closing kilometres on many occasions.
Tony Martin on quite a few occasions of closing gaps and and generally neutralizing stuff.