• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top Ten excuses Sky will use to fend off doping accusations

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
red_flanders said:
wendybnt said:
Not sure why people seem to regard doping and marginal gains as exclusive.

Not sure anyone does.
Sky do. All the time. Even when they don't make a speech about it directly there's constant bs subtle refferences to nutrition for example being an alternative to doping. Froome lays it out as a dilema, you can a) dope, or b) become light through nutrition.

You CAN'T do both. the curse on the dopers is they will always weigh more than the clean riders. So the clean riders always win. Happily ever after.

Agreed completely. I meant on the forum.

Re:

wendybnt said:

It seems to me entirely possible that training and nutrition strategies can exist in conjunction with banned pharmaceutical enhancements.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sky are exploiting ketogenic fuelling research.

I would be very surprised. Cycling just doesn't have money for legitimate research. Pay some guy a percentage of your win who is trying the stuff himself is more like it. (Hendershot, or low end jokers like Carmichael).

Remember that Sky is run by BC. Like USPS, the federation is in on it. UCI is definitely in on it. Also is very busy in the UK now and the UCI gets some of that action.

DirtyWorks said:
wendybnt said:

It seems to me entirely possible that training and nutrition strategies can exist in conjunction with banned pharmaceutical enhancements.

I would be very surprised. Cycling just doesn't have money for legitimate research. Pay some guy a percentage of your win who is trying the stuff himself is more like it. (Hendershot, or low end jokers like Carmichael).

Remember that Sky is run by BC. Like USPS, the federation is in on it. UCI is definitely in on it. Also is very busy in the UK now and the UCI gets some of that action.
Good point...but governments do. The laboratory in Chatenay Malabry has been under funded for many years. They can't even find someone to run it right now! You'd think the French government would try to salvage the national treasure that the TdF is. I was so hopeful it would happen this year. If hotels are booked in advance, bug them. There are so many ways... :mad: ...

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
wendybnt said:

As it has been for donkey's years. Sean Kelly talked about nutrition being important back in the 80s. Doping is but one part of the fabric of the sport. Improvements in other areas have always been monitored and searched fro by teams. How do you think we got to aerodynamic frames, wheels, TT bikes if they all purely relied on doping? Sky are only 5 years old. Teams have been doing the sky stuff for a long time before they started making PR of it.

wendybnt said:

Now, Wendy, Davey Brailsford denied that. You don't think he would lie now do you :D really :D

I would expect any team to keep its advantages close to its chest, whether legal or not.

I find it strange that one or two people here, like you, seem to think that all teams are equally advanced. I guess you are a recent watcher of the sport and didn't see Lemond turn up to a final stage TT with an aero helmet and lo-pro bike while his opponent rode round on a standard machine with pony tail flapping around and lost all his advantage plus 8 seconds.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:

Wendy, they are intrinsically linked, because they are the figleaf PR.

but I have written hear before, I think some marginal gains might in fact, be an inverted gain, a negative gain, a loss. a false economy.

here... the australian track team took their team pursuiters into a wind tunnel to determine which order and which riders should be in the TP. But the TP riders are in the wind for one quarter of the time, most of their time is recovering at a near threshold level for their max anaerobic efforts in the wind riding their lap. How do you measure how the 3 slipstream riders are managing their recovery and ability to smash their lap time? I think the old way, of the coaches determining which rider was suited to which position in the TP, was more advantageous. And having a stopwatch by the side of the track. That is the ultimate arbiter. It would be nice to know the flow dynamics of a team pursuit, and how the individual on the front is being slowed by his CdA.

I think this marginal gains palava, may take ones eyes off the prize. It is better to focus your attention on about the 3 variables that contribute to a minimum of 90% of your performance. And you dial dial dial dail in those variables and get them to a certain guaranteed 100% of their potential. If you take your eyes off those three variables that contribute the most to your performance, you will lose significantly more than your marginal gains offers. ofcourse, brailsford will say, this is a false dichotomy, we do both.

I say BS. I say give those other variables 100% of your attention. stuff the trivial stuff.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

wendybnt said:
Lemond turn up to a final stage TT with an aero helmet and lo-pro bike while his opponent rode round on a standard machine with pony tail flapping around and list all his advantage plus 8 seconds.

there has been a study on Lemond's position and his helmet, and they found that it was actually not a help, it was actually less efficient wrt his CdA

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

blackcat said:
wendybnt said:
Lemond turn up to a final stage TT with an aero helmet and lo-pro bike while his opponent rode round on a standard machine with pony tail flapping around and list all his advantage plus 8 seconds.

there has been a study on Lemond's position and his helmet, and they found that it was actually not a help, it was actually less efficient wrt his CdA

Plus Fignon had double discs - to Lemond's spoked front wheel. I'd call it even, given Fignon's head is always going to be aero wrt his back, and Fignon had a dropped front end anyway.

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

buckle said:
Froome was born with an extra testicle - "extraterresticle".
Surely that would be a disadvantage.....racing saddles are uncomfortable enough with just 2 normal orbs..............unless, of course, this 3rd bollock is placed somewhere else about his person........under an armpit maybe ?

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Saint Unix said:
Things Sky don't do better than every other team:
1) Train harder
2) Eat better
3) Improve tiny details to squeeze out seconds
4) Race tactics

Things Sky do better than every other team:
1) Spout BS to the press about how all the stuff they're doing is so great
2) Dope

It's nauseating.

And let's not forget about UCI protection.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

blackcat said:
wendybnt said:

but I have written hear before, I think some marginal gains might in fact, be an inverted gain, a negative gain, a loss. a false economy.

here... the australian track team took their team pursuiters into a wind tunnel to determine which order and which riders should be in the TP. But the TP riders are in the wind for one quarter of the time, most of their time is recovering at a near threshold level for their max anaerobic efforts in the wind riding their lap. How do you measure how the 3 slipstream riders are managing their recovery and ability to smash their lap time? I think the old way, of the coaches determining which rider was suited to which position in the TP, was more advantageous. And having a stopwatch by the side of the track. That is the ultimate arbiter. It would be nice to know the flow dynamics of a team pursuit, and how the individual on the front is being slowed by his CdA.

I think this marginal gains palava, may take ones eyes off the prize. It is better to focus your attention on about the 3 variables that contribute to a minimum of 90% of your performance. And you dial dial dial dail in those variables and get them to a certain guaranteed 100% of their potential. If you take your eyes off those three variables that contribute the most to your performance, you will lose significantly more than your marginal gains offers. ofcourse, brailsford will say, this is a false dichotomy, we do both.

I say BS. I say give those other variables 100% of your attention. stuff the trivial stuff.[/quoteSk

I agree that Sky are PR heavy, and the notion of marginal gains is part of this.

But, I don't discount the idea that any team, including Sky, could be doing certain things better than others. It has always been the case in all sports.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

blackcat said:
wendybnt said:

I say BS. I say give those other variables 100% of your attention. stuff the trivial stuff.[/quoteSk

I agree that Sky are PR heavy, and the notion of marginal gains is part of this.

But, I don't discount the idea that any team, including Sky, could be doing certain things better than others. It has always been the case in all sports.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

wendybnt said:

you are right. what Sky are doing, is putting all resources into one basket. July. Vroom. and the win. Like USPS. Other teams dont have the luxury.

all the team is pulling to this end.

one for all and all for one.

Ruperts glory.

Wendi ding ding Deng BINGO!

#Blairsglutes

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
:D ha ha brilliant. I've just had to Google that as I'd not heard about it.
yes, she played the old master at his own game, and took him for a half share each in the family trust for her daughters, and managed to cuckold the octogenarian. she is brilliant.

TRENDING THREADS