• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top Ten excuses Sky will use to fend off doping accusations

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DirtyWorks said:
wendybnt said:
Not sure why people seem to regard doping and marginal gains as exclusive.

It seems to me entirely possible that training and nutrition strategies can exist in conjunction with banned pharmaceutical enhancements.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sky are exploiting ketogenic fuelling research.

I would be very surprised. Cycling just doesn't have money for legitimate research. Pay some guy a percentage of your win who is trying the stuff himself is more like it. (Hendershot, or low end jokers like Carmichael).

Remember that Sky is run by BC. Like USPS, the federation is in on it. UCI is definitely in on it. Also is very busy in the UK now and the UCI gets some of that action.
ketones came out of Oxford Uni, no? Been used by the rowing crew, if i recall correctly... no need to do the research at BC, just extend a bit of local camaraderie wot wot

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au

Archibald said:
DirtyWorks said:
wendybnt said:
Not sure why people seem to regard doping and marginal gains as exclusive.

It seems to me entirely possible that training and nutrition strategies can exist in conjunction with banned pharmaceutical enhancements.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sky are exploiting ketogenic fuelling research.

I would be very surprised. Cycling just doesn't have money for legitimate research. Pay some guy a percentage of your win who is trying the stuff himself is more like it. (Hendershot, or low end jokers like Carmichael).

Remember that Sky is run by BC. Like USPS, the federation is in on it. UCI is definitely in on it. Also is very busy in the UK now and the UCI gets some of that action.
ketones came out of Oxford Uni, no? Been used by the rowing crew, if i recall correctly... no need to do the research at BC, just extend a bit of local camaraderie wot wot

An afternoon of high ketones with lamington chasers eh what ol' chap?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
surely some of mine have finagled there way into the top 10?

1. Gordonstoun
2. Chariots of Fire
3. Muscular Christianity
4. Redgrave
5. Boat Race
6. Rowing
7. Kerrison
8. Oxbridge
9. Hume, we dont believe in miracles, only hard work.
10. The Queen

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

blackcat said:

1. Gordonstoun
2. Chariots of Fire
3. Muscular Christianity
4. Redgrave
5. Boat Race
6. Rowing
7. Kerrison
8. Oxbridge
10. The Queen

You are way off with that stuff. I've lived in the UK on and off for a couple of decades and cycling is a sport for plebs. Polo is where the nobs hang out, what.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
The recruitment of strong all-rounders all clean of course.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jul/27/dave-brailsford-team-sky-chris-froome-tour-de-france-2015-win?CMP=twt_gu

Another key to Sky’s success this year, Brailsford felt, was the recruitment of strong all-rounders to support Froome, riders who could swap roles depending on their form on a given day. “What tends to happen is someone will have a good day while someone has a bad day,” Brailsford said. “The next day it rotates. And if you have a strong enough engine room, versatile enough in terms of climbing ability and the flat, then it rotates, someone can always do that key job.”

Wout stops for a pee in the wrong place, no problem. Konig or Thomas rotates in. Can't beat an army of skyborgs. And we can buy the best. Landa will make an awesome skyborg in the mountains = suck the life out domination.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
1. Find weird disease no one has heard of
2. Play on the publics lack of knowledge about cycling in the uk and pretend all cyclists are way behind other sports = marginal gains
3. Publicize your zero tolerance policy
4 Hire a shed load of dodgy riders, dodgy DS staff, Dodgy doctors.
5. Get the press in your pocket using Murdoch empire
6. Get UCI in your pocket by ensuring they cant afford to go up against you in court
7. Get ASO in your pocket by making sure they cant afford to lose another leader of the TDF and destroy their own race
8. Get a reporter in your pocket to write sh!te about how wonderful the team is
9. Find a number of good track riders who you have had on the gear for years in the track program and bring them onto the road team
10. Get a lead in to the latest drugs to make sure you are ahead of the curve
11. Build a team based upon a nationalist program with massive sponsorship to make sure you have more money and more clout than anyone else.
12. Complain about not enough testing
13. proclaim how many hundreds of tests you have passed and never tested positive
14. Proclaim how immaculate your preperation for the tour is compared to everyone else.
15. Make a program about how your star rider has a physiology that is different to everyone else
16. Acquire TUE's for any potential issue that might be found out - whether they were in time or backdated
17. Ride climbs quicker than proven dopers and still proclaim you are clean
18. Watch as ex team mates get busted for drugs and proclaim dismay at how they fell of the right road after leaving the team

Oh now which team am I describing - is it sky or USPS I am confused as it appears that the lists would be identical

And yet still there are people out there that believe history isn't repeating itself and a nation where cycling is a minority sport with no infrastructure and roads that are deadly for cyclists in any large number, can suddenly produce world class cyclists that can destroy cycling powerhouses from other parts of the world.- Oh am i talking about the USA or UK; again I am confused !!!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
14. lighter paint on their Pinarellos. There is no lead (the mineral this is) in the paint on the Pinarello Dogmas. Brailsfor insisted the bikes must come with a lighter paint job

Re:

Rob27172 said:
2. Play on the publics lack of knowledge about cycling in the uk and pretend all cyclists are way behind other sports = marginal gains
6. Get UCI in your pocket by ensuring they cant afford to go up against you in court
7. Get ASO in your pocket by making sure they cant afford to lose another leader of the TDF and destroy their own race
9. Find a number of good track riders who you have had on the gear for years in the track program and bring them onto the road team
11. Build a team based upon a nationalist program with massive sponsorship to make sure you have more money and more clout than anyone else.
13. proclaim how many hundreds of tests you have passed and never tested positive
14. Proclaim how immaculate your preperation for the tour is compared to everyone else.
15. Make a program about how your star rider has a physiology that is different to everyone else
16. Acquire TUE's for any potential issue that might be found out - whether they were in time or backdated
18. Watch as ex team mates get busted for drugs and proclaim dismay at how they fell of the right road after leaving the team

Oh now which team am I describing - is it sky or USPS I am confused as it appears that the lists would be identical

And yet still there are people out there that believe history isn't repeating itself and a nation where cycling is a minority sport with no infrastructure and roads that are deadly for cyclists in any large number, can suddenly produce world class cyclists that can destroy cycling powerhouses from other parts of the world.- Oh am i talking about the USA or UK; again I am confused !!!

Outstanding stuff. Should be a clinic sticky.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

wendybnt said:
blackcat said:

1. Gordonstoun
2. Chariots of Fire
3. Muscular Christianity
4. Redgrave
5. Boat Race
6. Rowing
7. Kerrison
8. Oxbridge
10. The Queen

You are way off with that stuff. I've lived in the UK on and off for a couple of decades and cycling is a sport for plebs. Polo is where the nobs hang out, what.

And if you knew anything of the cycling infrastructure in the UK you would know that the elite cycling world in the UK is exclusively based in manchester and if you are not willing to either commute their every weekend or move there permanently you will never make it into the British Cycling inner circle. The inner sanctum of a large proportion of british sport is primarily from the upper echelons of the society as the costs involved in supporting a young person to make it are prohibitive for most of the population.

I would suggest a bit more knowledge is gained before making rather silly statements and pretending to know anything about the british cycling establishment.

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

ebandit said:
a well compiled post containing most points extolled here..............however all may not be factual...........and definitely

many are not proof of anything at all...............ah well............here's waiting for the truth to emerge

Mark L
Ahh, I wouldn’t worry…….

I’m sure a large proportion of the population here are familiar with the work of JRR Tolkien, Ursula Le Guin and David Gemmell, etc…………..and if there’s one thing to be learned from the collective works of this literary genre, it’s that no matter how badly out-numbered, how inferior their equipment or how implausible their strategy, the forces of light ALWAYS emerge victorious over the hordes of darkness and minions of Beelzebub. A bit like when Harry Potter’s small band of righteous wizards triumphed over the massed forces of Voldemort…….

So, brave yeomen of the clinic..be of stout heart and all that……….

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site

Rob27172 said:
wendybnt said:
blackcat said:

1. Gordonstoun
2. Chariots of Fire
3. Muscular Christianity
4. Redgrave
5. Boat Race
6. Rowing
7. Kerrison
8. Oxbridge
10. The Queen

And if you knew anything of the cycling infrastructure in the UK you would know that the elite cycling world in the UK is exclusively based in manchester and if you are not willing to either commute their every weekend or move there permanently you will never make it into the British Cycling inner circle. The inner sanctum of a large proportion of british sport is primarily from the upper echelons of the society as the costs involved in supporting a young person to make it are prohibitive for most of the population.

I would suggest a bit more knowledge is gained before making rather silly statements and pretending to know anything about the british cycling establishment.

So remind me, which British cycling stars went to Eton, Harrow or Gordonstoun? Wiggo? Cav? Thomas? Kennaugh? :D :D

Come to think of it, the only British rider I can think of who even went to a private school was Miller, and that was more to do with living abroad as a child. Froome doesn't count because he is about as British as I am.

Cycling in Europe has also was been a working class sport, and that includes the UK.

wendybnt said:
Rob27172 said:
wendybnt said:
blackcat said:

1. Gordonstoun
2. Chariots of Fire
3. Muscular Christianity
4. Redgrave
5. Boat Race
6. Rowing
7. Kerrison
8. Oxbridge
10. The Queen

So remind me, which British cycling stars went to Eton, Harrow or Gordonstoun? Wiggo? Cav? Thomas? Kennaugh? :D :D

Come to think of it, the only British rider I can think of who even went to a private school was Miller, and that was more to do with living abroad as a child. Froome doesn't count because he is about as British as I am.

Cycling in Europe has also was been a working class sport, and that includes the UK.

Can anyone name anyone who has gone to Gordonstoun (except the Royal Family) without googling?

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
In terms of embeddedment (is that a word) within the British social hierarchy Gordonstoun is a newbie. the Queen has been around longer than Gordonstoun ;)

wendybnt said:
Rob27172 said:
wendybnt said:
blackcat said:

1. Gordonstoun
2. Chariots of Fire
3. Muscular Christianity
4. Redgrave
5. Boat Race
6. Rowing
7. Kerrison
8. Oxbridge
10. The Queen

don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
the estate wiggo grew up in was horrible. and as you've stated above the most of the current british riders are chavvy, G is from Cardiff for gods sake, its a sordid little grief hole.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Cycling in Europe has also was been a working class sport, and that includes the UK.[/quote]

Unfortunately you yet again show your lack of understanding and your Pop TV knowledge base as you think the top of the country is ETON, Harrow and Gordonstoun.
There are many more private schools and far better ones as well.

Alex Dowsett went to a very nice private Prep school
Laura Trott - Turnford private school in cheshunt
Victoria williamson - Norwich high school for girls (private independent school)
Chris Hoy - George watsons college (private school in scotland)
Nicholas roche - blackrock college (private school)
Phillip Anderson - trinity private school
Phillip Hindes - Private sports school in germany

There are many others that went to grammar schools and other schools as well
Although on the continent there is a large spread of the population in sport in the UK the lack of funding and a lack of assistance it means that the wealthier families are always going to be at an advantage as they are able to drive their children to Manchester every weekend to ride their bikes with the GB squad - and anyone who has been involved in the elite cycling scene in the uk in the last 15 years will tell you that unless you are in manchester or can get there regularly then you will never make it into the team

Maybe you could stop posting on areas of the UK cycling scene you obviously know nothing about.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.
the estate wiggo grew up in was horrible. and as you've stated above the most of the current british riders are chavvy, G is from Cardiff for gods sake, its a sordid little grief hole.

Have you been to cardiff lately? or ever?
I lived in cardiff 20 years ago and it was as good as any other capital city with areas that we re less nice but others that were nicer
now it has some of the priciest areas in the uk especially around the docks area.

As I have said above there are those who have the means to support their children and those who don't and the ones who do will have a huge benefit in getting their children to the top of sport in the uk due to the lack of support from the state

I am not saying there will never be others that make it based upon their pure talent, I am saying though that the mainstream of UK sports (other than football) is run by and contains within it a disproportionate amount of persons above the median pay of the UK

Rob27172 said:

Unfortunately you yet again show your lack of understanding and your Pop TV knowledge base as you think the top of the country is ETON, Harrow and Gordonstoun.
There are many more private schools and far better ones as well.

Alex Dowsett went to a very nice private Prep school
Laura Trott - Turnford private school in cheshunt
Victoria williamson - Norwich high school for girls (private independent school)
Chris Hoy - George watsons college (private school in scotland)
Nicholas roche - blackrock college (private school)
Phillip Anderson - trinity private school
Phillip Hindes - Private sports school in germany

There are many others that went to grammar schools and other schools as well

Roche is Irish so shouldnt be in the list.
Turnford isnt a private school - its a (former) local authority controlled secondary school that has just closed and is being reopened as an Academy with the help of an independent school.

Re:

Rob27172 said:

I think your analogy with the USA is totally exaggerated.

1) What weird disease are you talking about, Testicular Cancer? Pretty sure that has been heard of by most people.
10) I don't think Lance had the latest and greatest drugs. He wasn't using unicorn blood, just better logistics and a better safety net of protection.
18) That happened with USPS, but the UCI doesn't look ready to suspend anybody other than a few small fries nowadays.

The roads in the USA are really good for riding in many parts of the country. Calling them deadly is laughable.

TRENDING THREADS