• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top Ten excuses Sky will use to fend off doping accusations

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Top Ten excuses Sky will use to fend off doping accusati

thehog said:
1. Innovations in training
2. Weight loss
3. Reconnaissance of the course
4. Training as a team

5. Altitude camps
6. Peaking all season
7. Using a swim coach
8. Other teams “not innovating”
9. Hard work, dedication

10. Other people have never worked towards something in their lives like we have.

Bolded have been used in the last few weeks.

Good post hog. Back in 1st week of 2012 no less.

.......plenty of doubters here.......but you gotta hand it to team sky...........they really rode as a team

........not many lone escapes...........selfish pulling etc

loved the team sky kit for final stage............how did they get away with 'yellow flash' kit?

Mark L

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Top Ten excuses Sky will use to fend off doping accusati

thehog said:
1. Innovations in training
2. Weight loss
3. Reconnaissance of the course
4. Training as a team
5. Altitude camps
6. Peaking all season
7. Using a swim coach
8. Other teams “not innovating”
9. Hard work, dedication
10. Other people have never worked towards something in their lives like we have.

it would appear David Walsh has been reading the clinic as part of his research, pity he didn't read all of the clinic.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
I like how for literally everything Sky say and do, Lance set the precedent.

Pretty obvious if Armstrong wasn't such an a$$hole and greedy he could've had 5 TdFs a few Giros, a Vuelta or 2 and all the monuments with his name still on them.

Sky better watch the greedy bit. Let a few others win a few TdFs. Share it around.

Re:

thehog said:
Dr.Sahl said:
I heard many British are hyped for the Olympics and I even have a few British fans that never liked cycling, but now they are like "wow cycling is cool and Wiggins is the best ever" one of them plays a fantasy league with me and he was like (ohh well I gotta support the clean British) after he saw a few stages thats not his opinion anymore..

But the vast majority of press seems to just say "ohh we know Wiggins and Froome are nice they are doing so well what a team and traning effort"

I've heard different commentators say stuff like.

"Its a suprise to see Froome at this level, but he is solid and training well"
"Wiggins is the best TT"
"Wiggins is the best MR"
"Wiggins just training better than the rest"

The funny thing is, now that LA is getting slapped, they actually talk bad about him... pretty lol..

Atleast I saw a good comment today by a commentator

"No wonder they call this UK Postal, is this the new Wiggins/Froome Era?"

Armstrong's 1999 Tour was really won on his own. His team was good but nothing like Sky12. USPS got stronger and stronger in the latter years.

I still maintain what we're seeing from Sky is the worst doping performance in the history of the sport.

Time will tell. Mark my words.

Welcome back Hog!

Re: Re:

buckle said:
thehog said:
Dr.Sahl said:
I heard many British are hyped for the Olympics and I even have a few British fans that never liked cycling, but now they are like "wow cycling is cool and Wiggins is the best ever" one of them plays a fantasy league with me and he was like (ohh well I gotta support the clean British) after he saw a few stages thats not his opinion anymore..

But the vast majority of press seems to just say "ohh we know Wiggins and Froome are nice they are doing so well what a team and traning effort"

I've heard different commentators say stuff like.

"Its a suprise to see Froome at this level, but he is solid and training well"
"Wiggins is the best TT"
"Wiggins is the best MR"
"Wiggins just training better than the rest"

The funny thing is, now that LA is getting slapped, they actually talk bad about him... pretty lol..

Atleast I saw a good comment today by a commentator

"No wonder they call this UK Postal, is this the new Wiggins/Froome Era?"

Armstrong's 1999 Tour was really won on his own. His team was good but nothing like Sky12. USPS got stronger and stronger in the latter years.

I still maintain what we're seeing from Sky is the worst doping performance in the history of the sport.

Time will tell. Mark my words.

Welcome back Hog!

He is back?

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Not sure why people seem to regard doping and marginal gains as exclusive.

It seems to me entirely possible that training and nutrition strategies can exist in conjunction with banned pharmaceutical enhancements.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sky are exploiting ketogenic fuelling research.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:

It seems to me entirely possible that training and nutrition strategies can exist in conjunction with banned pharmaceutical enhancements.

As it has been for donkey's years. Sean Kelly talked about nutrition being important back in the 80s. Doping is but one part of the fabric of the sport. Improvements in other areas have always been monitored and searched fro by teams. How do you think we got to aerodynamic frames, wheels, TT bikes if they all purely relied on doping? Sky are only 5 years old. Teams have been doing the sky stuff for a long time before they started making PR of it.

wendybnt said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Sky are exploiting ketogenic fuelling research.

Now, Wendy, Davey Brailsford denied that. You don't think he would lie now do you :D really :D

Re:

wendybnt said:

Not sure anyone does. I think largely you see mockery of "marginal gains" as it implies some kind of new approach. As if other teams haven't done everything they can to optimize their approach. It's branding, and as such, comical.

Some people, those generally espousing the benefits of marginal gains, like to say things like "we train harder" as if training harder and doping haven't historically gone hand in hand. First with steroids, which allowed for faster recovery and thus harder training (we're talking the 70's), then with oxygen vector doping, which also (and often in combination with steroids) unsurprisingly lets you train harder and longer. It is in fact the dope which allows for the harder training.

Training harder is a claim which is impossible to substantiate or disprove, so why believe it? And if you do believe it, why does it not make you all that much more suspicious?

red_flanders said:
wendybnt said:

Not sure anyone does.
Sky do. All the time. Even when they don't make a speech about it directly there's constant bs subtle refferences to nutrition for example being an alternative to doping. Froome lays it out as a dilema, you can a) dope, or b) become light through nutrition.

You CAN'T do both. the curse on the dopers is they will always weigh more than the clean riders. So the clean riders always win. Happily ever after.

Things Sky don't do better than every other team:
1) Train harder
2) Eat better
3) Improve tiny details to squeeze out seconds
4) Race tactics

Things Sky do better than every other team:
1) Spout BS to the press about how all the stuff they're doing is so great
2) Dope

It's nauseating.

Re:

Saint Unix said:
Things Sky don't do better than every other team:
1) Train harder
2) Eat better
3) Improve tiny details to squeeze out seconds
4) Race tactics

Things Sky do better than every other team:
1) Spout BS to the press about how all the stuff they're doing is so great
2) Dope

It's nauseating.

It's like religion, both require a leap of faith.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
I think the only person who has recently claimed doping and pursuing other venues to increase performance is.. David Brailsford.
Was this how your comment was supposed to read?

SeriousSam said:
I think the only person who has recently claimed doping and pursuing other venues to increase performance are exclusive, is.. David Brailsford.

Yes. That's one of Sky's cherished narratives. Once you resort to being a dirty drugs cheat, you completely disregard the hard and honest work related performance gains.

SeriousSam said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:
I think the only person who has recently claimed doping and pursuing other venues to increase performance is.. David Brailsford.
Was this how your comment was supposed to read?

SeriousSam said:
I think the only person who has recently claimed doping and pursuing other venues to increase performance are exclusive, is.. David Brailsford.

Yes. That's one of Sky's cherished narratives. Once you resort to being a dirty drugs cheat, you completely disregard the hard and honest work related performance gains.

That's my favourite :D Last time a Skybot pulled that one, I just asked "So Rasmussen really WAS on holidays in Mexico?"