• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 161km

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jsem94 said:
So... the Giro-Tour double is way too difficult. At least for Contador. IDK if Froome can cope with it though. He hasn't raced the Giro in many years, and while the climbing suits him, the race is always harder to control and more unpredictable. Would be interesting to see him try tackle the Giro.

If he races Vuelta then we will see.

Much less time to rest between Tour and Vuelta + much better competition. This double is way harder. If he gets close to winning then Froome can definetely go for Giro-Tour (not next season though)

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Bah Froome is just too strong, and the Movistar got the dream stage for them with TVG out and Contador 2 mins further back. They have the podium wrapped up !

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:
Well that was rubbish. I hate movistar for accepting 2nd and 3rd rather than going for the win.

Froome is the strongest. By a mile. No way they beat him unless they order a domestique to crash into him.
Accept it. Strongest GC rider in the world. By far

I don't disagree that he is the strongest, he clearly is. But instead of getitng your domestiques to ride hard for most of the mountain, why not attack one after the other. At least give your all instead of two Quintana "attacks", and don't chase down riders who could burn up SKY domestiques early in the stage.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 1

Hey guys...how was the stage today? I missed almost all of it, caught the last half hour. Too bad abt AC. Did he crash? Otherwise, it looked like the usual Tour. NQ and AV pretending with 5 second attacks. Looked dull.

Aristarchus said:
jsem94 said:
So... the Giro-Tour double is way too difficult. At least for Contador. IDK if Froome can cope with it though. He hasn't raced the Giro in many years, and while the climbing suits him, the race is always harder to control and more unpredictable. Would be interesting to see him try tackle the Giro.

Has he ever expressed an interest in that kind of thing? It seems to matter for Contador, but for Froome?

Froome initially said he was doing Giro-Vuelta this year because of how anti-him this year's Tour route looked. But he also appears to be doing the Vuelta this year anyway.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

TommyGun said:
I cannot believe how insanely lucky Froome has been since the beginning of the Tour. Absolutely nothing happened to him, that's crazy.

That's how it goes, he had his share of bad luck last year... More amazing is how riders like Indurain or Armstrong managed to be lucky 5 or 6 years in a row : even Coppi, Anquetil, Merckx or Hinault had some GTs where they had bad luck.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:
Well that was rubbish. I hate movistar for accepting 2nd and 3rd rather than going for the win.

Froome is the strongest. By a mile. No way they beat him unless they order a domestique to crash into him.

Agreed, but you can win if you are bold and smart, even when you are not the strongest. Like Contador did in the Vuelta a few years back. First step for that is to ride for the Victory and not 2nd or 3rd.

Some years back Movistar also ruined the chance to gap Froome when they had him isoleted and after the 1st mountain and with a long flat before the next. Sadly they also rode against Contador that time exactly as today making it super easy for Froome in an otherwise very vulnerble situation.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 1

sunnyIce said:
Hey guys...how was the stage today? I missed almost all of it, caught the last half hour. Too bad abt AC. Did he crash? Otherwise, it looked like the usual Tour. NQ and AV pretending with 5 second attacks. Looked dull.

We got excited after an exciting start, and then the race was anulled by Movistar and became the borefest that we are getting accustomed to.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

TommyGun said:
I cannot believe how insanely lucky Froome has been since the beginning of the Tour. Absolutely nothing happened to him, that's crazy.

What´s crazy about that? Circa 100 riders went trou unharmed... LA did it for 8 years... Is this your first tour? :confused:

fungusbear said:
damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:

I don't disagree that he is the strongest, he clearly is. But instead of getitng your domestiques to ride hard for most of the mountain, why not attack one after the other. At least give your all instead of two Quintana "attacks", and don't chase down riders who could burn up SKY domestiques early in the stage.

You mean Valverde? I could see Sky allowing him to win a stage by 4 minutes just to mess with Quintana :D
Seeing what Movistar does at that point would be priceless. Froome covered every single attack from direct competition with ease. He is unbeatable at this point (unless there is a crash)

damian13ster said:
jsem94 said:

Much less time to rest between Tour and Vuelta + much better competition. This double is way harder. If he gets close to winning then Froome can definetely go for Giro-Tour (not next season though)
No way. Giro-Tour is definitely harder. Giro is harder than the Vuelta, and the competition in the Tour is the hardest. If you don't go into the Tour at 100%, you can't win. Contador beat Froome in the Vuelta last year and is not even in the ballpark at the Tour this year after riding the Giro. If you are the best at the Tour, you can follow wheels of the lesser competitors in the Vuelta. Exception being last year's Vuelta with Contador, Froome, and Quintana.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

TMP402 said:
Aristarchus said:
jsem94 said:

Has he ever expressed an interest in that kind of thing? It seems to matter for Contador, but for Froome?

Froome initially said he was doing Giro-Vuelta this year because of how anti-him this year's Tour route looked. But he also appears to be doing the Vuelta this year anyway.

WOuld be nice to see, but Giro-Tour is a harder combo though.

damian13ster said:

bollocks, because of total different prestige Giro/Tour aganist Tour/Vuelta and as someone said, tour as a 2nd GT is way to harder then Vuelta

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

TommyGun said:

On the other hand, last year he has so many freak accidents. Thats cycling

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
TommyGun said:

What´s crazy about that? Circa 100 riders went trou unharmed... LA did it for 8 years... Is this your first tour? :confused:

No, but the course this year seemed way more tricky than the Jean-Marie Leblanc ones in the 90s...

Cimber said:
damian13ster said:
fungusbear said:

Agreed, but you can win if you are bold and smart, even when you are not the strongest. Like Contador did in the Vuelta a few years back. First step for that is to ride for the Victory and not 2nd or 3rd.

Some years back Movistar also ruined the chance to gap Froome when they had him isoleted and after the 1st mountain and with a long flat before the next. Sadly they also rode against Contador that time exactly as today making it super easy for Froome in an otherwise very vulnerble situation.

Trivia question: what was the gap in GC before the Fuente in Vuelta?
What is it now?
Was Rodriguez actually caught out or just not strong enough to chase (it was almost 1 vs 1 battle).
Valverde almost caught up by himself
How much stronger is Froome than Valverde?
Again: what is the gap in GC now?

Nothing can be done in this Tour. The cyclist that is 2 levels above everyone else wins. As simple as that

TRENDING THREADS