• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 stage 6: Vesoul > Troyes - 216 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win the stage?

  • Arnaud Demare

    Votes: 7 8.6%
  • André Greipel

    Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Marcel Kittel

    Votes: 44 54.3%
  • Nacer Bouhanni

    Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Dylan Groenewegen

    Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Michael Matthews

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander Kristoff

    Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Ben Swift

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • None of the above

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Vino-option

    Votes: 9 11.1%

  • Total voters
    81
  • Poll closed .
Jan 20, 2016
684
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dr. Watson said:
Lupi33x said:
I saw someone get hit by a spectator in the last few kms and his teammate giving the spectator the finger. Might've been a Lotto Soudal rider.

Someone said Greipel got hit with the camera

may have been

someone was leaning over the barrier too far
 
Feb 27, 2016
65
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Knutsen said:
swissfr said:
deValtos said:
swissfr said:
animir said:
Becasue of antisagan points system change from 2015 Demare lost today against Kittel 20 points instead of 10 poinsts according to the previous poinsts system. With the previous points system Demare would probably win the green jersey. It should hit Sagan and now it hits the french rider. What a irony. Podium standings are premium standings and should get premium points. Good job ASO.

Kittel is too bad in uphill for win the green jersey...

Have you seen the route?


After the Stage 11, Kittel will not be able to win a stage. Maybe Salon de Provence if it's in a good day.

There is this thing in Paris.

Kittel will not score any points in the mountain stages. Démare is the big favorite for the green jersey.
 
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Demare acts with the confidence of a well protected rider.
You guys are so unfair. Demare has nothing to do about Sagan being DQed. Why all this? To me, if you want to blame someone, blame the ones who made the decision, not Demare, instead of acting like a mob with pitch forks and all. None is becoming the weeping boy for all the Sagan fans. The bitter. Those who need to vent their frustration.

He's stronger than ever, has a team dedicated to him, this is the chance of his life. He's trying to win like everybody else.

So many here seem to be learning what a sprint actually is...
 
Apr 12, 2017
147
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

Lupi33x said:
Dr. Watson said:
Lupi33x said:
I saw someone get hit by a spectator in the last few kms and his teammate giving the spectator the finger. Might've been a Lotto Soudal rider.

Someone said Greipel got hit with the camera

may have been

someone was leaning over the barrier too far

Greipel: "In the last 5k I hit at least two spectators. Please be more careful"
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
Wow. Demare likes to test himself against the barriers doesn't he? I thought we were in for something horrible again for a split second.
And that's what's so amazing: how, in general, they avoid crashes in those finishes. It's utter chaos. They don't hold back. Just partaking in a sprint like this shows a big set of...,

Brain damage? :p
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Rollthedice said:
Demare acts with the confidence of a well protected rider.
You guys are so unfair. Demare has nothing to do about Sagan being DQed. Why all this? To me, if you want to blame someone, blame the ones who made the decision, not Demare, instead of acting like a mob with pitch forks and all. None is becoming the weeping boy for all the Sagan fans. The bitter. Those who need to vent their frustration.

He's stronger than ever, has a team dedicated to him, this is the chance of his life. He's trying to win like everybody else.

So many here seem to be learning what a sprint actually is...

I don't let my frustration with the injustice against Sagan meddle with my judgement of Démare's insane riding the last two sprint stages. And I honestly can't remember anybody being so reckless continuously before. Didn't you see how he squeezed between Hagen and the barrier today, almost headbuttinh the Norwegian in the process after having done the same to Haller just before and how he clipped Bouhanni Tuesday? If so, how can you not at least understand why some of us think that he is being protected since his reckless riding is not receiving any kind of repercussions?
 
Re: Re:

Ikbengodniet said:
Tonton said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
Wow. Demare likes to test himself against the barriers doesn't he? I thought we were in for something horrible again for a split second.
And that's what's so amazing: how, in general, they avoid crashes in those finishes. It's utter chaos. They don't hold back. Just partaking in a sprint like this shows a big set of...,

Brain damage? :p
Not what I meant :D . I have been at many Champs-Elysees finishes, a couple of other TdF sprint finishes, several classics (when Paris-Tours was Blois-Chaville), and participated in sprints at my modest level. And I'm amazed to see what those guys are doing. They are great bike handlers, super fast, but also willing to take some crazy risks. It's not as obvious on TV as it is for real: the speed, how close they are...it is scary. Every sprint has potential for disaster. As I wrote before (not to quote myself, but I like the analogy), it's a game of chicken with many participants. Insane.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Rollthedice said:
Demare acts with the confidence of a well protected rider.
You guys are so unfair. Demare has nothing to do about Sagan being DQed. Why all this? To me, if you want to blame someone, blame the ones who made the decision, not Demare, instead of acting like a mob with pitch forks and all. None is becoming the weeping boy for all the Sagan fans. The bitter. Those who need to vent their frustration.

He's stronger than ever, has a team dedicated to him, this is the chance of his life. He's trying to win like everybody else.

So many here seem to be learning what a sprint actually is...
So it's fair to use your head to push other riders around?
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
So many here seem to be learning what a sprint actually is...
Finally got around to this point of view, I see.
Tonton said:
He's stronger than ever, has a team dedicated to him, this is the chance of his life. He's trying to win like everybody else.
He's actually won though, so he gets no sympathy there, versus a Bouhanni or a Greipel.
Tonton said:
You guys are so unfair. Demare has nothing to do about Sagan being DQed. Why all this? To me, if you want to blame someone, blame the ones who made the decision, not Demare, instead of acting like a mob with pitch forks and all. None is becoming the weeping boy for all the Sagan fans. The bitter. Those who need to vent their frustration.
Again, sport is inherently unfair. Most here know this. The hypocrisy is what gets (those of) us. Demare has become a nice little symbol of it.

So nothing to do but take your licks here, methinks. They won't last long. Froome will do something, or Porte, or Bouhanni, and we'll get over it. Or maybe Demare does a Kittel and you get to gloat. Meanwhile, it might actually seem bitter to call out others as bitter, as ignorant, etc. Very meta, I know.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Tonton said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
Wow. Demare likes to test himself against the barriers doesn't he? I thought we were in for something horrible again for a split second.
And that's what's so amazing: how, in general, they avoid crashes in those finishes. It's utter chaos. They don't hold back. Just partaking in a sprint like this shows a big set of...,

Brain damage? :p
Not what I meant :D . I have been at many Champs-Elysees finishes, a couple of other TdF sprint finishes, several classics (when Paris-Tours was Blois-Chaville), and participated in sprints at my modest level. And I'm amazed to see what those guys are doing. They are great bike handlers, super fast, but also willing to take some crazy risks. It's not as obvious on TV as it is for real: the speed, how close they are...it is scary. Every sprint has potential for disaster. As I wrote before (not to quote myself, but I like the analogy), it's a game of chicken with many participants. Insane.

You need to have no fear and must be a little crazy to throw yourself in that craziness. Really surprised Degenkolb already participated in that madness again today :lol:
 
Apr 1, 2013
426
0
0
Visit site
is there no rule for behaviour? .... if a rider (Guarnieri) is calling other riders (Bouhanni) "idiots" in front of the press, shouldn't that be fined? if repeated I would DSQ such a rider ....
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
I don't let my frustration with the injustice against Sagan meddle with my judgement of Démare's insane riding the last two sprint stages. And I honestly can't remember anybody being so reckless continuously before. Didn't you see how he squeezed between Hagen and the barrier today, almost headbuttinh the Norwegian in the process after having done the same to Zabel just before and how he clipped Bouhanni Tuesday? If so, how can you not at least understand why some of us think that he is being protected since his reckless riding is not receiving any kind of repercussions?
Implying that he's protected implies a conspiracy that he would be part of. That's what's unfair. I don't think that UCI took Demare into account when making their decision. But it's the narrative for some posters here. Wrong. They completely over-reacted in the moment, probably fearing some outcry, making a stand (politics) for rider safety after one got injured. They had all night to make a decision. They rushed it and made a wrong decision. Demare has nothing to do with it. Hence my reaction to your comment.
 
Well, it doesn't look like Bouhanni behaved particularly nicely either. Quote from Guarnieri:

"Bouhanni is an idiot. He didn’t just pass me, he also put his knee into my bars. He’s a ***, he’s always making people crash. We know he’s like that. He’s probably upset with us because he always loses…"

Strong quote, and of course Bouhanni was his usual baby-like sore loser after the stage and just yelled at the press, telling them they wouldn't get a comment from him.

@loge1884

I don't think people should be punished for telling the truth.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
tobydawq said:
I don't let my frustration with the injustice against Sagan meddle with my judgement of Démare's insane riding the last two sprint stages. And I honestly can't remember anybody being so reckless continuously before. Didn't you see how he squeezed between Hagen and the barrier today, almost headbuttinh the Norwegian in the process after having done the same to Zabel just before and how he clipped Bouhanni Tuesday? If so, how can you not at least understand why some of us think that he is being protected since his reckless riding is not receiving any kind of repercussions?
Implying that he's protected implies a conspiracy that he would be part of. That's what's unfair. I don't think that UCI took Demare into account when making their decision. But it's the narrative for some posters here. Wrong. They completely over-reacted in the moment, probably fearing some outcry, making a stand (politics) for rider safety after one got injured. They had all night to make a decision. They rushed it and made a wrong decision. Demare has nothing to do with it. Hence my reaction to your comment.

Okay, I agree with it being quite conspiratorial, and I don't like to go down that route, really.

It is, however, a fact that very many people believe that the association behind the Tour does hand out some protection for the French riders. And I don't think that belief would be so near-universal as it is, if there were nothing to it. And that is a big problem - just like it was horrible how the motorbikes so blatantly were helping Nibali in the Giro last year.
 
Feb 27, 2016
65
0
0
Visit site
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Tonton said:
tobydawq said:
I don't let my frustration with the injustice against Sagan meddle with my judgement of Démare's insane riding the last two sprint stages. And I honestly can't remember anybody being so reckless continuously before. Didn't you see how he squeezed between Hagen and the barrier today, almost headbuttinh the Norwegian in the process after having done the same to Zabel just before and how he clipped Bouhanni Tuesday? If so, how can you not at least understand why some of us think that he is being protected since his reckless riding is not receiving any kind of repercussions?
Implying that he's protected implies a conspiracy that he would be part of. That's what's unfair. I don't think that UCI took Demare into account when making their decision. But it's the narrative for some posters here. Wrong. They completely over-reacted in the moment, probably fearing some outcry, making a stand (politics) for rider safety after one got injured. They had all night to make a decision. They rushed it and made a wrong decision. Demare has nothing to do with it. Hence my reaction to your comment.

Okay, I agree with it being quite conspiratorial, and I don't like to go down that route, really.

It is, however, a fact that very many people believe that the association behind the Tour does hand out some protection for the French riders. And I don't think that belief would be so near-universal as it is, if there were nothing to it. And that is a big problem - just like it was horrible how the motorbikes so blatantly were helping Nibali in the Giro last year.


In Paris Nice, Bouhanni was disqualified.
 
Re: Re:

swissfr said:
tobydawq said:
Tonton said:
tobydawq said:
I don't let my frustration with the injustice against Sagan meddle with my judgement of Démare's insane riding the last two sprint stages. And I honestly can't remember anybody being so reckless continuously before. Didn't you see how he squeezed between Hagen and the barrier today, almost headbuttinh the Norwegian in the process after having done the same to Zabel just before and how he clipped Bouhanni Tuesday? If so, how can you not at least understand why some of us think that he is being protected since his reckless riding is not receiving any kind of repercussions?
Implying that he's protected implies a conspiracy that he would be part of. That's what's unfair. I don't think that UCI took Demare into account when making their decision. But it's the narrative for some posters here. Wrong. They completely over-reacted in the moment, probably fearing some outcry, making a stand (politics) for rider safety after one got injured. They had all night to make a decision. They rushed it and made a wrong decision. Demare has nothing to do with it. Hence my reaction to your comment.

Okay, I agree with it being quite conspiratorial, and I don't like to go down that route, really.

It is, however, a fact that very many people believe that the association behind the Tour does hand out some protection for the French riders. And I don't think that belief would be so near-universal as it is, if there were nothing to it. And that is a big problem - just like it was horrible how the motorbikes so blatantly were helping Nibali in the Giro last year.


In Paris Nice, Bouhanni was disqualified.

Well, he wasn't disqualified but relegated, and Bardet was disuqalified this year. But there is a difference between doing it there and in the Tour.
 
Re: Re:

carton said:
So nothing to do but take your licks here, methinks. They won't last long. Froome will do something, or Porte, or Bouhanni, and we'll get over it. Or maybe Demare does a Kittel and you get to gloat. Meanwhile, it might actually seem bitter to call out others as bitter, as ignorant, etc. Very meta, I know.

I'm not calling anybody ignorant. Bitter. And I can understand that feeling. But the conspiracy talks, come on :) . Demare is walking a tight rope. They all do. If Nono does something stupid and someone gets hurt, I'll be the last one to defend him. In the meantime that's a lot of hate that would not be taking place had Sagan not been DQed, really.

Yes, a new story will take center stage. I hope it's not Froome and Porte DQed, or I can imagine the talks of French conspiracy to advantage Bardet ;) . I would bet my avatar on it (and get Netserk's old one).
 
Jan 20, 2016
684
0
0
Visit site
Ruby United said:
I know people are pointing out Demare's dangerous sprint today, too, but has anyone noticed that he purposefully headbutted the Katusha rider!!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-1kQ6OyXgg
Look between seconds 45 and 47, watch it a couple of times and in slow motion. Was there contact?

I noticed the Katusha rider complaining when I watched it the first time, I thought Bouhanni got him, but looks like it was Demare. I dunno if it was a headbutt though, might've been a stray elbow.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
tobydawq said:
I don't let my frustration with the injustice against Sagan meddle with my judgement of Démare's insane riding the last two sprint stages. And I honestly can't remember anybody being so reckless continuously before. Didn't you see how he squeezed between Hagen and the barrier today, almost headbuttinh the Norwegian in the process after having done the same to Zabel just before and how he clipped Bouhanni Tuesday? If so, how can you not at least understand why some of us think that he is being protected since his reckless riding is not receiving any kind of repercussions?
Implying that he's protected implies a conspiracy that he would be part of. That's what's unfair.

No it doesn't. It implies that the first French sprinter to win a stage in a long time gets more leeway than his rivals, just as for instance an Italian GC contender at the Giro can expect the powers that be to smile benevolently upon him.
 

TRENDING THREADS