• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
HelloDolly said:
ppanther92 said:
Brullnux said:
So now for GC-ish candidates it's:
Thomas
TJ 3"
Jungels 15"
Uran 42"
Bala 48"
Majka 49"
Fugslang and Porte 50"
Landa 55"
Froome and Yates 59"
Dumoulin 1:00
Nibali 1:05
Roglic 1:14
Quintana 2:07

TJ in but no Bardet? :D

Dan Martin was 6th in th Tour last year riding with injury
And we can see how strong he is today and yet you leave him out

Usual rubbish bias ...
Several guys missing. Bardet, Martin, Zaka, Mollema...I wouldn't take it so personally, probably just an oversight.
Yeah literally just an oversight, it was very quickly done

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Amazinmets87 said:
franic said:
Red Rick said:
Laplaz said:
How much time Froome lost?
Few seconds

Froome lets Thomas worry about seconds
He's probably thinking about minutes himself
He’s going to pull out aNother Chiappucci-like attack (I guess I cant say a Landis in this section of the forum). What an amazing rider he is :cry:
Why would Chiappucci be permissible but Landis objectionable?
No E.T. talks here

Okay upon rewatching, Bala actually did an amazing sprint but was absolutely horribly positioned when Martin attacked. So he probably couldn't have gotten more out of it than that.

He actually made the competition look very mediocre. 500 metres to go he is behind Fuglsang in about 20th position, then he sprints past everybody, almost creating a big enough gap to gain a second.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Okay upon rewatching, Bala actually did an amazing sprint but was absolutely horribly positioned when Martin attacked. So he probably couldn't have gotten more out of it than that.

He actually made the competition look very mediocre. 500 metres to go he is behind Fuglsang in about 20th position, then he sprints past everybody, almost creating a big enough gap to gain a second.
Yeah I was too harsh on him, I didnt notice where he was coming from. Its just that sometimes he just seems on another level in these sprints and can gap people.

Too bad. Would have loved a stage win, but legs seem great.

Valv.Piti said:
tobydawq said:

Yeah I was too harsh on him, I didnt notice where he was coming from. Its just that sometimes he just seems on another level in these sprints and can gap people.

Too bad. Would have loved a stage win, but legs seem great.

It was a rewind of the Cauberg worlds. Still a nightmare of mine.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Imagine if Landa or Quintana would have tried to help Valverde. Not blaming them, its very possible they didnt have anything left, but Richie buried himself for GVA (or was it TJ?).

Fair time penalty btw

I doubt if they could have done much for him. He’s hardly going to rely on them to position him on a Mur and they aren’t going to chase Martin down any more effectively than Yates and Porte.

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
I'm surprised anyone thought Sagan was a contender for this stage. Can't imagine him any response for an attack such as Martin's on those gradients

I think he could have won or been close if Martin hadn't attacked. That would have made it all a bit slower and Majka would perhaps have controlled it for him.

But Valverde would probably have beaten him (and Martin too).

movingtarget said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
UAE’s season not looking too bad now. Six wins in the last five weeks including Martin’s Tour and Dauphine stages and Ulissi’s Susie’s stage.

Its still remarkable how weak the team they’ve sent to support Martin and Kristoff is though. What they are spending their budget on is a mystery on the same scale as Katusha and Cofidis spending decisions.

Maybe they have the best hotels and a celebrity chef ?
They have zipless jerseys this year. I think that must be it, but the traditionalist in me is screaming as I type.

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
I'm surprised anyone thought Sagan was a contender for this stage. Can't imagine him having any response for an attack such as Martin's on those gradients

Finishing top ten was a very good ride. He is at least a dozen kg heavier than anyone else in the top ten and probably much more. But yes, there’s a big gap between making the front group and actually being able to compete with the best in it. If Martin hadn’t attacked, some other climber/puncheur would have and even if by some miracle nobody did, he’s not going to win a sprint in those circumstances.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Everything for Bardet?

Not really. Latour should be free to do whatever in this shape, but Vuillermoz?... Maybe they just don't believe in him 100% (which I fully understand).

If Vuillermoz is going to win, it's on short climbs. He's a Dan Martin stereotype, just slightly worse. He's not really a GC guy

TRENDING THREADS