• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 11 (Châtelaillon-Plage - Poitiers, 167.5 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I suspect that it would have to be those guys themselves rather than their teams if they are going to ditch Ewan or even more so Bennett

Maybe, what I am, saying is, that the fast puncheurs have a shot, because there is a kilometre at around 4 %, 3 k from the finish line, and it's day 11 at the Tour.

I should have mentioned Boassen Hagen too, but he crashed pretty hard yesterday, so may not be ready for it.

We could also see some of the big TT guys try to punch it up that hill and solo to the line, Kung, Asgreen, De Gendt, Jungels, etc. .... Obviously 3 of them have sprinters, so it would take a sprinter not feeling it.

At the end of the day, I think it WILL be a bunch sprint, a lot of teams want that, but the terrain is not as easy as yesterday.

I fear as long as Roglic's in yellow his sprinting days are numbered.

They’re not numbered, they’re over. WVA is a monster they need for the mountains. Guy just puts in major pulls at the front to the point of blowing himself to smithereens. It’s crazy how good he is leading the train up hills. They can’t risk him for a meaningless stage or sprint when their goal is yellow.

They’re not numbered, they’re over. WVA is a monster they need for the mountains. Guy just puts in major pulls at the front to the point of blowing himself to smithereens. It’s crazy how good he is leading the train up hills. They can’t risk him for a meaningless stage or sprint when their goal is yellow.

They make decisions on the road. If Roglič is safely in the pack with 3k to go, if the sprint is not a full-bunch straight flat shoot out and if Wout feels good, then he goes for it. Otherwise he doesn't. He knows he won't win a normal sprint with all the fast guys there. And it is also too dangerous. For today, I am not sure. The stage is easy, so most of the sprinters will probably make it to the line fresh, but on the other hand the finish is quite technical and there is that slight uphill 3k to go. I am tilting more towards the scenario where he does not contest it. But one never knows. They did not want to drill it on stage 9 either, but then Roglič said in the middle of the stage that he wants to win it. And then the plan changed.

You clearly got it backwards! He's leading the train up hills to give everyone else a fighting chance in the sprints.

Last edited:

I don't think that any TDF stage win is meaningless.

I don't see why - after having helped to look after Roglic - very late in a stage, Wout cannot turn his attention to trying to win the stage, if the finish suits him (as stage 11 does), and he has the legs. Especially if Jumbo still has other domestiques left in the bunch to take care of Primoz.

The way the last 3 k look, I'm not sure it's one of the usual sprinters.

If people like Van Aert, Pedersen, Trentin, Sagan have their teams punch it on the gradients the last 3 k, the real sprinters may drop off.
We are talking 3-4% gradients here. It's nearly false flat.

Ewan and Bennett are the two best uphill sprinters in the world. They will properly prefer something harder than this final. It's impossible to drop them on an easy stage like this. What tend to put them in trouble are multiple hills/medium mountains.

TRENDING THREADS