• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 19 (Bourg-en-Bresse - Champagnole, 166.5 km)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I really don't get the people criticising DQS today?

They now have the green jersey in the bag along with two stagewins.

The difference on the line between Bennett and Sagan after a hard finale would not have been much and Sagan could have very well taken the upper hand. If they are sprinting for the stage win this would mean Sagan would take back 20 points (or even more if somebody else managed to squeeze themselves between the two) and the fight would not be over. Just imagine Bennett having a flat tire or something like that in Paris 5km from the line.

In my opinion the risks outweigh the possible benefits and they made the right call not going for the stage win but focussing on Sagan.

Your're right, Sunweb was DQS 2.0. But I don't think Quickstep failed so much, they will very probably have green and two stage wins. And they were also going for the Giro this season, more than some other teams...
Yes, but giving up stage win like that was never their style. If they want to protect the green jersey, Bennet should not attack and wait for bunch sprint.

Whats harm of doing that. Perhaps Ewan would win, but no way this would give Sagan more points than now. It just shows Bennet not confident of beating Sagan, which is really weird.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I really don't get the people criticising DQS today?

They now have the green jersey in the bag along with two stagewins.

The difference on the line between Bennett and Sagan after a hard finale would not have been much and Sagan could have very well taken the upper hand. If they are sprinting for the stage win this would mean Sagan would take back 20 points (or even more if somebody else managed to squeeze themselves between the two) and the fight would not be over. Just imagine Bennett having a flat tire or something like that in Paris 5km from the line.

In my opinion the risks outweigh the possible benefits and they made the right call not going for the stage win but focussing on Sagan.

I agree.

People just want to see the teams and riders disregard the smartest thing to do for them, because by their accounts "it is boring" or "it ruins the race".

The saying "don't hate the player, hate the game" comes to mind.

I suppose when we're used to a team having a million stage wins, two stage wins are indeed going to feel like a failure.
Quickstep win like three or four stages normally, their best was when Kittel went mad in 2017. This year they have two plus the green jersey which they haven't won in how long? And maybe a third win sunday. Not the best Tour but certainly not a failure.

Reactions: Sandisfan
DQS rode a very good Tour. They killed themselves every day for the green jersey. They still can get a win on the Champs elysees.

Anyway, I am still in disbelief how badly the tactics were between e.g. Trentin and GvA, and what Stuyven, Naesen and Rowe were thinking when SKA went. Maybe they couldn't, but they had almost 3 minutes on the peloton with16-17K to go, so the only thing they should have done is to save the legs a bit instead of pulling (after they got 2 minutes) and follow the attacks (rookie mistake = trying to attack first).

Bauer started collecting bottles with around 17 kms to go which was clearly shown on the coverage - It took him a while to collect the bottles because the road was winding and I guess he was receiving instructions from the DS - the cut off for bottles was 15km.
seems not a good idea to get bottles just before the last bump in the road where action was expected, to have something to drink for the next 10 minutes.

I really dont know how people are proposing that DQS could have got a stage win from that break. What do they think happens if Devenyns somehow brings back Kragh, something he probably can’t do anyway? It would just be ten classics guys going one after the other and everyone else sitting on Bennett waiting their turn

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS