• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 20 ITT (Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles, 36.2km)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Did Froome ever have a TT performance like this?

No, but the Vuelta 2011 stage 10 one was pretty shocking

""I wasn't really expecting that," Froome said at the finish. "

"I was just trying to stay in contention and be there along with Bradley Wiggins, the team leader. I just had a fantastic day and somehow I've ended up in the leader's jersey. It's a dream come true."

He says, tongue firmly in cheek

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Yes. I feel sorry for Roglic as a fellow human being. But he and Jumbo were largely responsible for largely killing the GC battle and the 'big' stages.

Unfortunately I missed some of the fun stages as I'd lost interest

I mean, they played to their strenghts. They arrived to the TT with a minute of an advantage over every GC contender. If someone offered them that before the race I am sure they would take it. But who would have though Pogačar (who looked to be fading slightly in the past couple of days) would beat world class TTers like Dumoulin, WvA and Roglič by one an a half minute or more... if Pogi did his "usual" TT, Rogla would maybe lose a second or two, but would still win comfortably. But this was just completely something else. He was just flying and destroyed everyone.

Why don't people give me the 19 chances Roglic missed to drop Pogacar.

Oh, with that team, they should have been able to conjure something up.

For starters, don't sacrifice Dumoulin, so you can play the numbers game.

I would have liked to have seen poor David de la Cruz trying to marshal the front for Pogacar in that case. Especially downhill...

Also, two days ago, Roglic had a gap after the gravel section but then just waited. Would the others have chased him, or would they have thought they were beaten already?

I started watching hopeful that Pog would make this an exciting stage. By midway I was excited. By the end I felt gutted for Roglič to lose and in disbelief at how much time Pogačar had taken on everyone.

Also, how must MAL have felt being passed by not one, but two riders, and rolling in last?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Famous last words
EiSmNRQX0AQRkQe

I would have liked to have seen poor David de la Cruz trying to marshal the front for Pogacar in that case. Especially downhill...

Also, two days ago, Roglic had a gap after the gravel section but then just waited. Would the others have chased him, or would they have thought they were beaten already?

again with this mit

I feel sorry for Roglic. He was probably just following team orders, trusting that they had all the numbers worked out. But, at the same time, it's great to see a team who tried to suffocate the race fall at the final hurdle.

Imagine Uran smashing Froome in the ITT to win the 2017 TDF?

I know, I can't either.

But that's kind of what today was like.

Some of the posters in here are hilarious.

The same people that said GC was over 2 days ago, are now saying Roglic and JV should have done more earlier.

:D

Yes. I don't see the contradiction.

The former ist what it seemed to almost everyone, the latter is what we now know in hindsight.

eta: and of course many people criticised the Jumbots for their passiveness even at the time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

You have a minute lead in a GT with a guy who has like 7/10 last ITTs he's done and who put 1'30 into the 2nd guy the last GT ITT they did vs each other.

It's like I'm supposed to trash Contador for not dropping Schleck on the 2010 Tourmalet despite being the better ITTer.

Dumoulin might have been 90 seconds closer if he doesn't commit harakiri on the Peyresourde. Then what. He didn't have the legs to attack most of the Tour, yet he's supposed to attack in case the non ITTer wins the ITT by over 1'20 on everyone?

TRENDING THREADS