• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 20 ITT (Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles, 36.2km)

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They will be looking at stage 18 on television again.

This is a message from Contador, Froome and Nibali: If you have the strength, attack. Don't wait because it will come back to bite you at some point.

Lopez being the biggest idiot, followed closely by JV and Roglic.
Wouldn't have made a big difference for Lopez in hindsight, but yeah, take every chance you get.

This really does feel like a changing of the guard, Sagan, Froome, Nibs etc.

The best riders in the world are now composed mostly of kids. (WVA, VDP, Pogacar, Remco, Bernal). Hopefully next year TJV will come to attack, maybe with a revitalised Big Tom and Simon Yates/Thomas will also go to the tour to see if they can hang with these guys.

The future is now old man.

Combined jersey hardly counts too if one is already top on GC, Points and Mountains.

And in 1969 the points were the same for winning any road stage, unlike today which is weighted in favor of the sprinters

Edit: and as an absolutely meaningless exercise, under 1969 rules Pogacar would have had 150 points in points classification at the end of today, while Bennett would have had 103

And yes I am aware that the race would have been raced totally differently
Not really. For the green jersey there is nothing that Bennet would have been able to do to hold Pogacar.

They will be looking at stage 18 on television again.

This is a message from Contador, Froome and Nibali: If you have the strength, attack. Don't wait because it will come back to bite you at some point.

Lopez being the biggest idiot, followed closely by JV and Roglic.
I think JV missed one strategy of sending Dumoulin up the road on Stage 15 or 17 or 18 forcing Pogachar and his team to work and then counter punching with Roglic. Suprising enough 2019 Movistar did the same to roglic with Carapaz and Landa. But in no way it amounts to a criticsim of JV as what has happened was a 1 in a million chance

Lance Armstrong has called today's TT by Pogi the best performance he's ever seen for the Tour.
I agree with Lance. At least, what I've seen in my lifetime. I haven't seen all the olden day Tours obviously.

Really an insane performance by Pogacar... again, he went as fast as Dumoulin on the flat, a guy easily 10kg more in weight and advantage there. Then he went faster than anyone else in the history on PDBF. It was just crazy.

much more complete.

rode against much tougher competition.

and with a much weaker team.

bernal, dumo, rog, etc... they are now looking at "how can they win the big one?" from here on out.

only remco (as yet not proven) -- should he return to full strength, may have a shot and it could be a wonderful duel for years to come...

Let's get not ahead of ourselves, in 3 years there might a rider in his late twenties, who is still far away from his peak right now, and who will win against the younger guys. I mean where did Froom come from? Jan Ullrich got dominated by an older LA and so on...

Let's get not ahead of ourselves, in 3 years there might a rider in his late twenties, who is still far away from his peak right now, and who will win against the younger guys. I mean where did Froom come from? Jan Ullrich got dominated by an older LA and so on...

I think it’s less likely that riders will suddenly peak or blossom at age 26 or 27. That was often a direct result of other things that were happening in cycling at the time. For example, comparing it to LA and Ullrich is kind of pointless.

But nothing in my comment precluded the possibility of a yet younger champion coming up in two or three years. It just seems that we are blessed with two or three generational talents all within a few years, so by simple probability, it would appear unlikely. But certainly not impossible.

You should listen to today’s ITV podcast and what David Millar and the others say about the present young generation and why it is blossoming at such an early age that was not possible 12 or even 20 years ago.

What happened with Valverde? Did he have some reason for sucking so bad? Of all the things I’d expect from him, getting smashed by bad TTists who weren’t even riding for anything at the end of a GT is not one of them

As far as I know he just didn't bother trying. No crashes or anything and horrible form isn't an explanation. My only explanation is that he sat up from early on and just didn't care enough to be bothered with it.

Best performance in the Tour? Hmm.. I have watched most every big stage from 1996-now (some on Youtube, Im not that old) and can probably pick a few better performances. I think the context of the performance is what leads ppl to say that. But lets try to compare it with some other ones in terms of just pure domination from an athletic standpoint:

Ullrich 1997, Arcalis
Ullrich 1997, Saint Etienne ITT
Armstrong 2001, Alpe d Huez
Ullrich 2003, Cap Decouverte
Landis 2006, Morzine
Rasmussen 2007, Tignes
Contador 2009, Verbier
Schleck 2011, Galibier
Froome 2015, PSM
Pogacar 2020, La Planche ITT

Its up there for sure, but I think some of these performances might be better. But its hard. Unfortunately we didnt get to see some performances from 2014 in this category, could probably have created at least 2 monster performances.

Best performance in the Tour? Hmm.. I have watched most every big stage from 1996-now (some on Youtube, Im not that old) and can probably pick a few better performances. I think the context of the performance is what leads ppl to say that. But lets try to compare it with some other ones in terms of just pure domination from an athletic standpoint:

Ullrich 1997, Arcalis
Ullrich 1997, Saint Etienne ITT
Armstrong 2001, Alpe d Huez
Ullrich 2003, Cap Decouverte
Landis 2006, Morzine
Rasmussen 2007, Tignes
Contador 2009, Verbier
Schleck 2011, Galibier
Froome 2015, PSM
Pogacar 2020, La Planche ITT

Its up there for sure, but I think some of these performances might be better. But its hard. Unfortunately we didnt get to see some performances from 2014 in this category, could probably have created at least 2 monster performances.
Not sure about including Schleck tbh.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS