• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 3 (Nice - Sisteron, 198 km)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Also calling for DSQ (last place of group) of Bennet. That was dangerous and on purpose. No need whatsoever.

How many guys does Ewan cut across when he jumps from behind Bennett ?
Ewan was in and out more times than I have ever seen in a sprint.

I swear some people want lanes like swimming now. Ewans is amazing and I worry Sam will have many days losing to him in this kind of crazy sprint

How many guys does Ewan cut across when he jumps from behind Bennett ?
Ewan was in and out more times than I have ever seen in a sprint.

I swear some people want lanes like swimming now. Ewans is amazing and I worry Sam will have many days losing to him in this kind of crazy sprint
The difference is that Ewan overtook slower riders, while Bennet tried to block a faster rider.

The rule that you shouldn't deviate from your line is firstly intended for those that try to block an overtaking rider.

While it can be applied to riders who overtake and cut across other sprinter's lines, Ewan just didn't do that.

I don't really want a Bennett bashing. From what I hear he seems to be a nice guy. Perhaps the Quick Step team isn't good for him. That quote is really arrogant. Trying to block the other riders isn't nice, too.

"It's always guys who are looking for my wheel and can't go first, so I just gave the guys another lead-out. It was just a headwind and it was easy for someone to come off the wheel. My legs weren't the best but it's enough.

[Is there anything you would change?] "I think it was just a matter of luck.

A bit more respect for Ewan who has clearly one more important races would be good for him. Perhaps he said that in the heat of the moment.

26 Big Photos from Stage 3 (more to come) — corvos/aso

030-20200831TDF1004-A.S.O.%20Pauline%20Ballet.jpg

155-CORVOS_00032426-048.jpg

322-CORVOS_00032426-064.jpg

I don't really want a Bennett bashing. From what I hear he seems to be a nice guy. Perhaps the Quick Step team isn't good for him. That quote is really arrogant. Trying to block the other riders isn't nice, too.

"It's always guys who are looking for my wheel and can't go first, so I just gave the guys another lead-out. It was just a headwind and it was easy for someone to come off the wheel. My legs weren't the best but it's enough.

A bit more respect for Ewan who has clearly one more important races would be good for him. Perhaps he said that in the heat of the moment.
Yeah when I do a leadout for someone they also start 10m behind me.

Reactions: jaylew

He obviously hadn't seen the replay when he said that as Ewan was nowhere near his wheel when he went.

I think he just feels a bunch of pressure because of what previous QS sprinters have accomplished so I'd be inclined give him a pass.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Disrespectful asf, old mate was battered in pure speed

Excellent sprint from Ewan.

Bennett probably said what he said immediately after the heat of the battle. He was the best of the rest (quite clearly second best to Ewan but had his nose in the wind For too long) and will have another shot. A hard but fair sprint rivalry is good for the sport.

Still believe Sagan lost his 'Xfactor'. His sprint today was again not convincing at all. But he tries, and he remains the top favourite for green of course.

Not much wrong with what Bennett did. Calm ur tits.

As I saw it, he would have been boxed in if he hesitated, so he had to go far too early in the headwind. He knows he can't win so plays it safe for placings. But yeah, the monster is gone.

We'll have to wait a very long time because a crash is very very unlikely to happen in that kind of scenario.

Out of curiosity, how do you perceive Nizzolo's sprint? Swerving from right to left to right. Should he also be DQ'd?

That it doesnt happen that often is a bad defense and no sign of progress. How much do we value life?

They gotta start somewhere to change something thats normal and part of the process. DSQ anyone that swerve, in a way where you hinder someone to go past and in a dangerous way. Why have a rule if only enforcing it when something bad happens.

I think you can also distinquish someone being faster going past someone, naturally having to change lanes, then someone in the front running out of steam. Changing lanes, with a clear intent to just get in the way of someone else.

As I saw it, he would have been boxed in if he hesitated, so he had to go far too early in the headwind. He knows he can't win so plays it safe for placings. But yeah, the monster is gone.
I think Sagan will still win a stage at this Tour, and probably green, but the question is which stage. He's lost the edge of climbing, so I don't think Bora could drill it on any of this year's stages so that they could drop Bennett or Nizzolo, who can probably match him for speed, or that he could burn them off on a tough uphill finish like stage 12 might be. And on the flatter stages, he also has to navigate through Bol, Kristoff, Ewan, and the bigger sprinters. And we saw today that someone like Ewan can be every bit as good as him at surfing wheels.

That it doesnt happen that often is a bad defense and no sign of progress. How much do we value life?

They gotta start somewhere to change something thats normal and part of the process. DSQ anyone that swerve, in a way where you hinder someone to go past and in a dangerous way. Why have a rule if only enforcing it when something bad happens.

I think you can also distinquish someone being faster going past someone, naturally having to change lanes, then someone in the front running out of steam. Changing lanes, with a clear intent to just get in the way of someone else.

It doesn't "not happen often". It pretty much never happens. Bennett and Ewan are well clear of the rest of the field and there is a ton of space on the side where Ewan is going to pass. I'd say it's a pretty instinctual reaction from a sprinter who is running out of steam and feels a faster rider is coming from behind, to try and force that rider to go the extra yard by swerving a little bit.

It's not like it was a clear obstruction. Not even close.

What about changing lanes when a faster rider comes round and you jump into its slipstream, like Nizzolo did? Again, would you DQ him? You don't think that's potentially more dangerous?

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS