• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 5 (Gap - Privas, 183 km)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Meanwhile I'm so happy I get to watch the entirety of this stage rather than a boring disgrace of cycling like the final stage of the Dauphine.
Feels great to be distance working on such a glorious day.

Edit : though it was refreshing during the first hour to see those pro talking and laughing which each other like on a sunday ride.
On french Tv, they (Jalabert and Voeckler) also spoke a lot of the WC choice, and the fact that it directly follow the TDF. Voeckler even said : the WC winner must be in this peloton.

Reactions: Red Rick
While we are all whining (myself included) about the lack of action, I think we all have to remember this is a Corona year, and every single riders is showing up to the Tour, in worse condition than ever before.

From a sporting perspective, I understand they are not riding the race hard, as they are all eyeing week 3 with worry.

But DAMN it is boring :D

My thoughts about Sagan:

He'll have a very difficult time to defend the green jersey this year. The way Bennett is going, I simply don't think he has a chance... This year is the worst I have ever seen him race, so far...

1. He is a bit over his "optimal" racing weight, 1-2 kilos... You can easily see it on his face and neck. I think that is due to the 2020 messed up racing calendar. Sagan clearly NEEDS solid and strong racing during Spring classics to arrive in shape for the Tour...

2. His position on the bike is off. I first heard it on "The Move" podcast and was watching him for the last few stages... He seems to move too much in the saddle looking for the best position like something is off, esp. when climbing, while in the past he was "glued" to the saddle like he is one with it;) They speculated it might be saddle sores... Who knows???

3. Age, getting older, losing top level speed is pretty much given and with this new class of young guns who "smell" that Sagan is vulnerable this year it might be too much to overcome...

4. Psychological... Getting through his divorce, being separated from his son a lot and not being as hungry for wins anymore as he used to could also be a factor...

We'll see... I for one, I'm mostly of the opinion that it's a combo of 1 and 3. Number 1, especially, he really doesn't look fit enough for the Tour due to nonexistent racing in the Spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKSemtex
While we are all whining (myself included) about the lack of action, I think we all have to remember this is a Corona year, and every single riders is showing up to the Tour, in worse condition than ever before.

From a sporting perspective, I understand they are not riding the race hard, as they are all eyeing week 3 with worry.

But DAMN it is boring :D
It woudln't really be much more entertaining with a break tbh, and at least now something has been changed in the script

They cant race hard every day over 3 weeks. Which is a good thing. To me it just showcases that these guys are human, in that they cant/wont race hard every day.
It is gonna be these type of days and today makes no sense, than to just get it over with and let the sprinters settle for the win.

It still takes energy to ride these 180k in the heat, and the last part it could still get pretty hectic towards the finish.

Upcoming stages looks a lot more promising for some action, hopefully.

My thoughts about Sagan:

He'll have a very difficult time to defend the green jersey this year. The way Bennett is going, I simply don't think he has a chance... This year is the worst I have ever seen him race, so far...

1. He is a bit over his "optimal" racing weight, 1-2 kilos... You can easily see it on his face and neck. I think that is due to the 2020 messed up racing calendar. Sagan clearly NEEDS solid and strong racing during Spring classics to arrive in shape for the Tour...

2. His position on the bike is off. I first heard it on "The Move" podcast and was watching him for the last few stages... He seems to move too much in the saddle looking for the best position like something is off, esp. when climbing, while in the past he was "glued" to the saddle he is one with it;) They speculated it might be saddle sores... Who knows???

3. Age, getting older, losing top level speed is pretty much given and with this new class of young guns who "smell" that Sagan is vulnerable this year it might be too much to overcome...

4. Psychological... Getting through his divorce, being separated from his son a lot and not being as hungry for wins anymore as he used to could also be a factor...

We'll see... I for one, I'm mostly of the opinion that it's a combo of 1 and 3. Number 1, especially, he really doesn't look fit enough for the Tour due to nonexistent racing in the Spring.
Also I think he might retire at top level. Dont see him going to some other team to collect checks.

Reactions: richwallone
Why the hell is Jungels riding all the time? I would think he could be very useful in the finale.

I can understand they want to give Declercq and Cavagna a break but then again there is no breakaway so nobody even has to work.

Same here. Plus, I understand that DCQ wants to control the race because they hold the yellow but seeing mostly their riders up front for most of the race is clearly idiotic... Hey Lefevre, your guys don't need to lead the peleton for the 80-90% of the race. Plenty of other teams to share the responsibility... Just saying...

Same here. Plus, I understand that DCQ wants to control the race because they hold the yellow but seeing mostly their riders up front for most of the race is clearly idiotic... Hey Lefevre, your guys don't need to lead the peleton for the 80-90% of the race. Plenty of other teams to share the responsibility... Just saying...
that was the plan, actually. Before the stage Morkov said that they were not going to chase down the breakaway, but just control the field to honor Yellow. But seems like the other teams were unwilling to grab that opportunity.

My thoughts about Sagan:

2. His position on the bike is off. I first heard it on "The Move" podcast and was watching him for the last few stages... He seems to move too much in the saddle looking for the best position like something is off, esp. when climbing, while in the past he was "glued" to the saddle like he is one with it;) They speculated it might be saddle sores... Who knows???

I know different riders “age” at different rates, but I thought it worth pointing out that Sagan is 9 months older than Bennett.