• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021 - Enthusiastic laymen's thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which team has the winner of the Tour de France 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LOL. How could I miss that :(. At least there weren't many "ifs" like the author suggested. It is settled then. Roglic does not have to worry about Carapaz.

He should worry but the claim on how there is a list with a huge amount of cyclist on it that should be considered to be a better GT rider. Now and in the past couple of years.

That is rather bogus. Roglič is for sure one of them.

And it's not like the Tour is being ridden slower these days, than when Froome and Nibali were at their best.

By this logic Lopez, Mas and many others should be considered better GC riders than Froome and Nibali were. Rises in rider speed are usually not because the athletes of previous years were inferior but because of training methods, nutrition etc. which inflate performance, this needs to be taken out of the equation when comparing riders who peaked in different years.

By this logic Lopez, Mas and many others should be considered better GC riders than Froome and Nibali were. Rises in rider speed are usually not because the athletes of previous years were inferior but because of training methods, nutrition etc. which inflate performance, this needs to be taken out of the equation when comparing riders who peaked in different years.

Exactly, another bunch of variables, which is why you cannot compare like you do (and we are not even getting into the clinic stuff).

We have no way of knowing if Nibali at his best - or for that matter Merckx, Coppi, Pantani, or whoever - would have ridden a better race, given the exact same circumstances.

Its is of course an interesting debate - for us sports fans - but it is not something any of us can ever prove, with any degree of certainty.

Movistar with a strong line-up

Lopez
Mas
Valverde
Soler
Cortina
Verona
Erviti
Arcas

Could be the fourth team to play a role in the GC.

I think you can add EF to that list.

I think that, given his recent form, Uran will get a team that is set up for GC success - with all riders that can climb well - and then, if his form fades, the very same people can win stages, like Bissegger for the TTs, Cort/Valgren for puncheur stages and Higuita/Powless for mountains/polkadots.

Maestro picks 21/6/2021

-5 STAR: ROGLIC, POGACAR
-4 STAR: CARAPAZ, BILBAO
-3 STAR: THOMAS, KELDERMAN, SUPERMAN
-2 STAR: MAS, ALAPHILIPPE, URAN, TGH, PORTE
-1 STAR: IZAGIRRE, G.MARTIN, CHAVES, HAMILTON, HAIG, POELS, KRUIJSWIJK, VALVERDE, WOODS, QUINTANA, BARGUIL, CATTANEO, I WILL ALSO PUT BUCHMANN FOR THE BORA FANBOYS.

insert colbrelli and mohoric where you want.

Maestro picks 21/6/2021

-5 STAR: ROGLIC, POGACAR
-4 STAR: CARAPAZ, BILBAO
-3 STAR: THOMAS, KELDERMAN, SUPERMAN
-2 STAR: MAS, ALAPHILIPPE, URAN, TGH, PORTE
-1 STAR: IZAGIRRE, G.MARTIN, CHAVES, HAMILTON, HAIG, POELS, KRUIJSWIJK, VALVERDE, WOODS, QUINTANA, BARGUIL, CATTANEO, I WILL ALSO PUT BUCHMANN FOR THE BORA FANBOYS.

insert colbrelli and mohoric where you want.
Bilbao 4 stars? Haig is their official GC leader, Even without the role, i would rate him higher..

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS