• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021 - Enthusiastic laymen's thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which team has the winner of the Tour de France 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Their team sucked compared to every other team they have had in their dominant years, but it didnt really matter when Kennaugh and Kiri were good enough to push out a decent tempo and you have the 2-4th climber in Porte and Froome who by far was the best. Which goes to show that depth, at least in many instances, are kinda overrated as long as you have 1 or 2 really great mountain domestiques. If the rest can grab some water, keep the leaders out of trouble and do some decent turns now and then its guchi

Kiryienka was dropped at the start of the second Pyrenees stage and subsequently was OOT. He really only featured on the Pailheres

Right, right, but I don't think, he has anything against sugar, as long as it's supplied by a company that pays him money.
Anyway I'm not sure, he will rank them the same as you.

Off topic, but just fyi, Ronaldo in 2020 getting asked about his sons potential as a player:

“We’ll have to wait and see if my son becomes a great player. At times he eats crisps and drinks fizzy drinks and he knows that makes me angry, but I guess that’s normal behaviour for a ten-year-old boy,”

So yeah the sugar thing is real :)

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Who is the second Ukrainian favourite?

Sorry, but this sport changes quickly and I'm struggling to keep up.

P.S. Hope he rides for Astana.

I know you're joking, but is Padun really considered a favourite by anyone? Why? He even has pretty impressive betting odds but I don't really get it. Interesting rider, sure, but he has virtually no GC results yet and he's suddenly going to win the Tour - hmm...

I know you're joking, but is Padun really considered a favourite by anyone? Why? He even has pretty impressive betting odds but I don't really get it. Interesting rider, sure, but he has virtually no GC results yet and he's suddenly going to win the Tour - hmm...

I don't count him among the favourites either, not at all, but after him pulling two performances out of the hat that dropped me from my seat, who knows what will happen. Sometimes an asteroid just comes from nowhere.

I consider him a favourite. I even started a thread about him. His thread is a bit quiet now but it'll really take off during the tour.

Honestly, what do you think about Jack Haig?
I've been thinking who would be the chosen one if Bahrain really goes for it - Poels didn't look great, could show another face in the Tour, but with these showings I don't really see him in that role... Landa... cannot have had the most perfect preparation in case he starts. Will they really support Padun?
Or could it be Haig, after all he was 5th at the Dauphiné...?
Did the team say anything about their leader?

• Wow
I've been thinking who would be the chosen one if Bahrain really goes for it - Poels didn't look great, could show another face in the Tour, but with these showings I don't really see him in that role... Landa... cannot have had the most perfect preparation in case he starts. Will they really support Padun?
PELLO BILBAO will be the leader for Bahrain and is their best bet for the GC with the time trials.

Bilbao will have a caruso coming of age in this TDF. Haig is not doing much, Poels could be a top 10, landa no news, Padun probably going easy to give others a chance.

Pello Bilbao will be the best Spanish finisher. Maybe the best non-slovene result if Ineos cocks up.

Mader? Did well in Swiss.

• Wow
Wellens out of the Tour.

Will Lotto pull the trigger, and make the Tour the first GT for neopro Andreas Kron?

Nope, Brent Van Moer and Harry Sweeny are selected. No Degenkolb either, So I would've expected Kron, but I guess Lotto only cares about Ewan (and maybe a shot at the green jersey this year?). A bit dissapointing to me. Not gonna be seeing any LTS riders in the harder stages, maybe De Gendt but doubt it.

Not that Sweeny is bad ofcourse. He has been riding really well all season and has been riding a lot with the guys that are going to the Tour, but Krön has proven to be able to win.