• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021 - Enthusiastic laymen's thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which team has the winner of the Tour de France 2021?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So for the 1st stage...
Alaphilippe, van der Poel, Pogacar, Roglic, van Aert, Woods, Gaudu, Valverde
Who do you think that final climb suits best? Or will it just depend on the form of the day?
And do Fuglsang, Barguil and Carapaz have a chance to compete for the win as well?
Do you see any chance of something happening before the Mur?
Can you imagine Hirschi being back by then?

I suppose it will just come down to Mathieu vs. Julian, but I really wonder if Woods can surprise.

I don't think it is hard enough for climbers... I think it's 3-4 % max for a lot of it. I also think it's similar to stage 3 in Dauphine, which saw over 50 riders across the line in the same time.

My mind goes to Colbrelli, Matthews, Hirchi, Kragh, Cort, GvA, WvA, MvdP, Alaphilippe, Asgreen, Kwiatkowski, McNulty and Stuyven :)

Stage 2 however, is a far different animal, where the guys you mention come into play :cool:

I don't think it is hard enough for climbers... I think it's 3-4 % max for a lot of it. I also think it's similar to stage 3 in Dauphine, which saw over 50 riders across the line in the same time.

My mind goes to Colbrelli, Matthews, Hirchi, Kragh, Cort, GvA, WvA, MvdP, Alaphilippe, Asgreen, Kwiatkowski, McNulty and Stuyven :)

Stage 2 however, is a far different animal, where the guys you mention come into play :cool:

Actually... I was looking at the profile of stage 2 when I wrote that :flushed:

I persist with the prediction some of the stronger puncheurs (& GC guys) can have some fun.

Also, the weather forecast prediction for Landerneau next Saturday is rain (METEO LANDERNEAU par Météo-France - Prévisions Météo gratuites pour aujourd’hui, demain et à 15 jours. (meteofrance.com) ), ergo a wet road & bad weather will also certainly add to the tension (& danger) as well. Plus I read elsewhere that the approach to the climb is a bit tricky, so things could get dicey real fast.

Maybe it's just my usual pre-race hype speaking, but I reckon the Tour will start with a bang.

I persist with the prediction some of the stronger puncheurs (& GC guys) can have some fun.

Also, the weather forecast prediction for Landerneau next Saturday is rain (METEO LANDERNEAU par Météo-France - Prévisions Météo gratuites pour aujourd’hui, demain et à 15 jours. (meteofrance.com) ), ergo a wet road & bad weather will also certainly add to the tension (& danger) as well. Plus I read elsewhere that the approach to the climb is a bit tricky, so things could get dicey real fast.

Maybe it's just my usual pre-race hype speaking, but I reckon the Tour will start with a bang.

If it rains, none of the GC guys are gonna play, they may even let a break go to the end.

Nobody is going to risk compromising their entire Tour on wet, bendy roads, for the sake of a stage 1 yellow jersey and 15 seconds on the rest.

If it rains, all the GC teams will let the stage hunting teams, like Qhubeka, Trek, Astana, DQ, DSM and ISN, worry about the early break, and positioning for the last climb, as the risks are too great for the rewards, in a nervous day 1 Tour peloton.

If it rains, none of the GC guys are gonna play, they may even let a break go to the end.

Nobody is going to risk compromising their entire Tour on wet, bendy roads, for the sake of a stage 1 yellow jersey and 15 seconds on the rest.

If it rains, all the GC teams will let the stage hunting teams, like Qhubeka, Trek, Astana, DQ, DSM and ISN, worry about the early break, and positioning for the last climb, as the risks are too great for the rewards, in a nervous day 1 Tour peloton.

You could be entirely right here. But whatever, I'll still be hyped for some GC action just in case.

In other news, no Mark Padun in Bahrain's team selection: Team Bahrain Victorious (@BHRVictorious) / Twitter

E4LkxjfWEAUNNRf

No Gino Mader either.

Pretty much every road in western Brittany is “tricky” with twists and turns and roundabouts!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow, I've just seen this. It would have been good for a Spanish/Portuguese CT team, but it's awful for TD(/E)E

b4VoAxqJjdVNw9m63iQg4c.jpeg

Yeah, and the name doesn't exactly "sing" does it? - For one of the most heavily covered sporting events on the planet :D

French people and English titles are rarely a good fit - I remember once seeing a paintball magazine in a French newsstand.

It was called "Facefull" :D

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
You could be entirely right here. But whatever, I'll still be hyped for some GC action just in case.

In other news, no Mark Padun in Bahrain's team selection: Team Bahrain Victorious (@BHRVictorious) / Twitter

E4LkxjfWEAUNNRf

No Gino Mader either.
Wow!
I did not see that coming. Maybe this happened:

• Padun pissed someone off during the Dauphine from the Bahrain team.
  • ASO told Baharain that they wanted none of that sh*t at the Tour. They had enough wit Ineos, JV and UAE.
  • Padun received a Mayo type letter.
  • They are on a rotation and now is Poels turn.
  • else!

Bahrain not selecting riders with great form at Dauphne and Swiss is almost as baffling as Ineos not selecting a guy who is as strong as a bull on the flats/and was one of last three men standing at the top of the Stelvio.....

Slovenians just became even bigger favourites.

Wait a few more days and it turns out that the Slovenians decided to skip the Tour and prepare for the Olympics.
Something is fishy here, maybe rumours about Froomey returning to 100+ RPM form make his rivals break mentally.

TRENDING THREADS