• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 8: Oyonnax – Le Grand-Bornand, 150.8 km

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He did to a lesser degree in the Vuelta 2019 stage 20 at age 19.

Pogacar also had this sot of "frenzy" on the Peyresourde last year, but JV still contained the gap to a reasonable degree & the question remained whether they'd made a mistake in letting him back into the game, i.e. could they have chased harder? We'll never know. But we do know Roglic beat Pogacar on the Col de la Loze 3 days before the fatal TT.

I don't think them being near equal in those 2 stages has super much bearing on the big climbs.

This is the sad (& predictable) result of Roglic going into a ditch, i.e. on one side some might overrate his chances versus Pogacar as we witnessed today, whilst on the other I see plenty who totally underestimate just how good Roglic is/was.

I can only hope Roglic finds his motivation, his form & gets the backing he deserves to give it another shot.

I don't think them being near equal in those 2 stages has super much bearing on the big climbs.

It has more of a bearing than him beating the likes of Vingegaard, Kelderman, Mas by 3 minutes imo. Those guys couldnt live with Roglic either and whilst Roglic doesn't race like this, he beats those guys handily with how he does race (as boring as it is). Pogacars performance was dominant but theres no competition for him outside of Roglic or a crash, same as how Roglic has no competition outside of Pogacar or a crash.

Among the riders who have finished 34min+ are winners of 11 Grand Tours, 16 monuments, 9 RR world championships and 4 ITT world championships. 12 riders, only 2 of them under 30, 7 of them 34+. Yesterday it was one of the strongest breakaways in recent years and today quite a grupetto.

Anyway, great stage.

Froome is back! First mountain stage and he's beating the likes of Roglic, Thomas...

Pogacar also had this sot of "frenzy" on the Peyresourde last year, but JV still contained the gap to a reasonable degree & the question remained whether they'd made a mistake in letting him back into the game, i.e. could they have chased harder? We'll never know. But we do know Roglic beat Pogacar on the Col de la Loze 3 days before the fatal TT.

This is the sad (& predictable) result of Roglic going into a ditch, i.e. on one side some might overrate his chances versus Pogacar as we witnessed today, whilst on the other I see plenty who totally underestimate just how good Roglic is/was.

I can only hope Roglic finds his motivation, his form & gets the backing he deserves to give it another shot.
I could see Roglic being 2nd best here.

But Pogacar put 3 minutes into everyone on his own. It's absolutely bonkers. There's a chance that a part of that is because I simply underrate the Romme/Colombiere combo after a hard day. But I give Roglic about 1% chance to follow Pogacar today. Maybe he can follow on the Romme or something.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
I could see Roglic being 2nd best here.

But Pogacar put 3 minutes into everyone on his own. It's absolutely bonkers. There's a chance that a part of that is because I simply underrate the Romme/Colombiere combo after a hard day. But I give Roglic about 1% chance to follow Pogacar today. Maybe he can follow on the Romme or something.

That's the thing though. Years of cycling have shown the favourites spend more time looking at each other when they get away. So if Roglic covers Pogacar like Carapaz did but not get blown away on the second dig, in general that means they end up looking at each other and playing games rather than one guy riding 100% as the other sits on his wheel. With Roglic here, that's what I'd expect to happen. Seems extremely doubtful Pogacar goes full on as Roglic just sits on his wheel, cos Pogacar knows if you don't distance Roglic, he outsprints you easily to beat you.

E5YvhEZXoAk3p2k

E5YvhEaX0AAAQIU

One thing's for sure though - we could now have an absolutely epic battle over the GPM, with all these world class climbers having lost so much time that they can fight for breakaways. The Ineos guys probably can't as they have work to do, and Movistar might ask López to serve Mas in return for Vuelta leadership or something, but otherwise you have a lot of teams who are not going to be committing too many resources to their GC frontline.

Poels has already amassed some good points and is a good candidate, Woods and Martin also, but Quintana has managed to salvage a bad race with mountain stage wins late on - and nearly won the GPM in 2019; Simon Yates similarly would have been a high potential polka dot winner had the weather not intervened that year with two stage wins in the mountains late on; Jakob Fuglsang, Sepp Kuss, Miguel Ángel López, Vincenzo Nibali (maybe an aim for a career parting gift, similar to Garzelli in the Giro?), Dan Martin, Sérgio Higuita, all of these could look at the GPM as a possibility, especially those who sat up after being dropped today.

Is the grupetto normally that big? Looked close to 100 riders and some of the names there are staggering!

Alaphilippe - I’m done with that guy. Never liked him anyway but just when I think he might make a podium he lays a turd. Overrated!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Today on Romme-Colombière (including descent, with a little uncertainty over when they started the climb):

Pogačar: 56'40''
Carapaz: 1h00'01 (+3'21'' = +5.91 %)

I'd guess that on the ascents alone, the relative difference is greater than on Hautacam.
I didn't watch the race, but were the chasing group looking at each other on the Colombiere?

I can sort of see it happening that they go "*** that let's ride for 2nd" real fast

TRENDING THREADS