• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Second rest day thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish with yellow in Paris?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And what about the day before the last stage? Point being Jonas didn't wait for Pogi on TDF 2021 either. For one day. But still it was a stage race.

You do realise that Vingegaard played domestique in the day before the last stage? He pulled the entire last climb so Rogla could attack. Vingegaard showd in the dauphiné he was the best climber of the 2. But Rogla was ahead of Vingegaard before the 2 mountain stages so that is why they went for him. Now it is the other way around. Vingegaard is 2 minutes in front and is the better climber of the 2.

You do realise that Vingegaard played domestique in the day before the last stage? He pulled the entire last climb so Rogla could attack. Vingegaard showd in the dauphiné he was the best climber of the 2. But Rogla was ahead of Vingegaard before the 2 mountain stages so that is why they went for him. Now it is the other way around. Vingegaard is 2 minutes in front and is the better climber of the 2.

Or maybe it would just look bad if Rogla would go for the win on the last stage?

Anyway. I am not denying Jonas of his chance. If it's his time so be it.

• Haha
Reactions: The Clogger
Not to say Jonas wasn't or isn't in great shape or if he can or can't win this Tour edition. It's on him now and Danes. But he was beaten at Dauphiné.

P.S. Likely he just left the win to Rogla. As he targeted Tour.
Yes I meant Vingo was stronger than Rogla at the Dauphine. So strong I forgot Rogla still won. But is still be seen if Jonas beats Pogi. I only put this down to Pogi’s age not the form he has shown recently. All beibg equal at only 23 Pogi should be stronger than we have yet seen which means stronger than Jonas.

Yes I meant Vingo was stronger than Rogla at the Dauphine. So strong I forgot Rogla still won. But is still be seen if Jonas beats Pogi. I only put this down to Pogi’s age not the form he has shown recently. All beibg equal at only 23 Pogi should be stronger than we have yet seen which means stronger than Jonas.

In my opinion that is an assumption. Not necessarily a fact. But Jonas is in good position now. To prove the doubters wrong.

PS: It's Caleb Ewans birthday

FXYU72BXoAADaEg

Tf is this last 2 pages of this thread.. lol. All Im gonna say is thank God for no Covid cases. Let's hope for this after the 2nd week as well.

If I am a betting man today, I say Pog-Vin-Rog-G-Mas. I just want action man, and I am hoping that GC isn't over after Galibier&Granon.

Reactions: Poursuivant
You think he's going to beat Thomas and Yates for that spot? Also Mas is kind of invisible most of the time so not that surprising no one mentions him tbh. He's just kinda there in the back following but you won't really see him do anything that will attract attention.
I mean, he probably has the ability to beat training wheels Thomas and Adam is clearly not as great in gts as he is in shorter stage races...

These tests are only there to make it official that there are no positive riders. The protocol is designed in such a way that only superspreaders are designated as positive. Everything for the Tour. The health of the riders is not an issue for the UCI.

One of the consequences will be that in the second part of the Tour, the teams will not send home their riders who are positive, even with symptoms.

What a load of rubbish - For a start if you have have symptoms ( COVID or not ) riders will be sent home because their performance will be poor.

You think he's going to beat Thomas and Yates for that spot? Also Mas is kind of invisible most of the time so not that surprising no one mentions him tbh. He's just kinda there in the back following but you won't really see him do anything that will attract attention.
Thomas would be a stretch but Mas will be stronger than both in the alps. His problem will be putting enough distance between them and himself to have a buffer in the TT. On the plus side, Mas has in the past been very strong in long rolling. TTs (but not as good since joining Movistar). He has been plenty aggressive so far this year, just hasn't had a lot to show for it because he crashed in 3 of his 4 buildup races. He was also very aggressive in the Vuelta last year, attacking from 5 kms out on stage 9. He's got as good of a shot as anyone, except maybe Thomas because he will lose time to him in the TT. He just needs to stay upright.

Reactions: Eeslliw
What a load of rubbish - For a start if you have have symptoms ( COVID or not ) riders will be sent home because their performance will be poor.

You are wrong ! Guillaume Martin, who was send home saturday, declared that if the protocol of this testing had been applied saturday, he should not have left the Tour. No one who doesn't feel sick, and has a slight sore throat, will get tested anymore (or their team won't).
It was already suspected that various teams allowed their riders who were positive, but not sick, to continue cycling.

There is a chance that they will perform slightly less for a few days, only to be fully fit afterwards. This illegal attitude of some teams is now made legal by the new protocol of the UCI. Only the really sick riders will now disappear from the race. That is just like with any disease in the past.

Last edited:
You are wrong ! Guillaume Martin, who was send home saturday, declared that if the protocol of this testing had been applied saturday, he should not have left the Tour. No one who doesn't feel sick, and has a slight sore throat, will get tested anymore (or their team won't).
It was already suspected that various teams allowed their riders who were positive, but not sick, to continue cycling.

There is a chance that they will perform slightly less for a few days, only to be fully fit afterwards. This illegal attitude of some teams is now made legal by the new protocol of the UCI. Only the really sick riders will now disappear from the race. That is just like with any disease in the past.

All teams still do regular testing themselves. It's in their own self-interest to continue the testing to mitigate the risk of an outbreak within the entire team.

I also disagree that the new UCI protocol only obliges "really sick" riders to disappear from the race. If a rider tests positive by means of a PCR test, a medical panel - consisting of the doctor of the involved team, a doctor of the UCI and the designated doctor of the TDF - will decide on possible isolation. They will take into consideration the relevant clinical elements. If the viral load is high enough to risk infection of other riders or if the rider’s own health is at stake, he will not be allowed to continue.

To be clear, such decision was not made yesterday because all tests were negative. Contrary to what you write, it seems that teams have not let riders who tested positive continue to ride.

I am also surprised that Guillaume Martin allegedly said that he would not have been required to leave if the UCI protocol was applied. He can’t possibly know what the panel of doctors would have decided in his case. Moreover, he has been sent home by his team, so in consultation with the team doctor. That same doctor would have been involved in the UCI panel decision, so it's unlikely that the decision based on the UCI protocol would have been any different.

Moreover, he has been sent home by his team, so in consultation with the team doctor. That same doctor would have been involved in the UCI panel decision, so it's unlikely that the decision based on the UCI protocol would have been any different.

I'd say the Martin case it was decided by that panel, going by the statement sent out afterwards: "The decision was taken in a collegial manner by the concerned team doctor, the Covid-19 doctor for the event and the UCI Medical Director, on the basis of the available clinical elements."

All teams still do regular testing themselves. It's in their own self-interest to continue the testing to mitigate the risk of an outbreak within the entire team.

I also disagree that the new UCI protocol only obliges "really sick" riders to disappear from the race. If a rider tests positive by means of a PCR test, a medical panel - consisting of the doctor of the involved team, a doctor of the UCI and the designated doctor of the TDF - will decide on possible isolation. They will take into consideration the relevant clinical elements. If the viral load is high enough to risk infection of other riders or if the rider’s own health is at stake, he will not be allowed to continue.

To be clear, such decision was not made yesterday because all tests were negative. Contrary to what you write, it seems that teams have not let riders who tested positive continue to ride.

I am also surprised that Guillaume Martin allegedly said that he would not have been required to leave if the UCI protocol was applied. He can’t possibly know what the panel of doctors would have decided in his case. Moreover, he has been sent home by his team, so in consultation with the team doctor. That same doctor would have been involved in the UCI panel decision, so it's unlikely that the decision based on the UCI protocol would have been any different.

Thanks for the explanation. It IS weird though, that there are no positive tests with such a contagious virus and positive cases that have occurred among riders and staff. I'm not really complaining since I wouldn't know how to do it myself, but from a statistical point of view it looks suspicious to me.

Reactions: Carols
I'd say the Martin case it was decided by that panel, going by the statement sent out afterwards: "The decision was taken in a collegial manner by the concerned team doctor, the Covid-19 doctor for the event and the UCI Medical Director, on the basis of the available clinical elements."
You're right; they have indeed followed the same UCI protocol for his case. That makes the alleged statement of Martin even stranger.

Thanks for the explanation. It IS weird though, that there are no positive tests with such a contagious virus and positive cases that have occurred among riders and staff. I'm not really complaining since I wouldn't know how to do it myself, but from a statistical point of view it looks suspicious to me.
I don't think it is that weird. All the teams do their own testing and immediately intervene in case of a positive test . The tests undertaken by the UCI seem to confirm the results of the teams’ own prior and repeated testing.

Nevertheless, new infections can still occur and some more positive cases are likely to pop up the coming days and weeks (although I hope the opposite).

TRENDING THREADS