• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 11 (Albertville – Col du Granon Serre Chevalier, 151.7k)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From a logical perspective, we can only assume, that the user is making a "joke"
Mainly because there is no news about it yet. That being said, you never know what type of scandals that happens in TDF
I am just annoyed about the situation TBH and made a sarcastic joke to underscore the madness of the current C-19 protocol in the peloton.

Very good to take preventative measures but the double standards makes no sense.

Like why expose riders to an audience but still maintaining strict protocol regarding test results?

Either you do it fully (no audience combined with distance for organisation/staff) or don’t do it at all.

Last edited:
Isolating Pogacar in the mountains like many have suggested here has no purpose if you don't sacrifice some of your riders from far away. None. He can follow wheels in the mountains all day. The big teams need to sacrifice some of their riders. Roglic, Pidcock, Yates. Otherwise, you will be going head to head against him and we all know how the story will end.
I think a key reason to isolate Pogacar is to make it a different effort. If the attacks don't start until the final 7km, Pogacar will likely crush most riders. But what if a team can isolate him early, and make it a 60km effort?

Then it's more of an unknown. Following attacks and counter attacks for over an hour is a completely different type of racing, and tactics play a much greater part. It's more like breakaway racing and as we saw yesterday, breakaways are not always won by simply being the strongest rider and riding away from everyone.

From today‘s July 13, until July 23, these ten days will certainly be the best days of all cycling year 2022. Nothing compares to TdF hard mountain stages and long ITTs. Best riders in best shape. Let the party begin! :)

Afterwards, Autumn will come so soon… Then, suddenly, it‘s October, and season is over… So let‘s enjoy these next days. Gladly, Primoz is still in the race, and also Geraint Thomas. That makes it exciting.

Pog's main lieutenant Majka finished a minute down on the yellow jersey group yesterday so it is possible that he is not 100% after his positive test. Ideally JV and Ineos need to get rid of Majka and McNulty and isolate Pog before Granon. Then begin the attacks and counter attacks.

I think a key reason to isolate Pogacar is to make it a different effort. If the attacks don't start until the final 7km, Pogacar will likely crush most riders. But what if a team can isolate him early, and make it a 60km effort?

Then it's more of an unknown. Following attacks and counter attacks for over an hour is a completely different type of racing, and tactics play a much greater part. It's more like breakaway racing and as we saw yesterday, breakaways are not always won by simply being the strongest rider and riding away from everyone.
Also you need to eat and drink. If ineos and JV take turns attacking, Pog has no time to get more food or water. He'll have to let go at one point.

I am just annoyed about the situation TBH and made a sarcastic joke to underscore the madness of the current C-19 protocol in the peloton.

Very good to take preventative measures but the double standards makes no sense.

Like why expose riders to an audience but still maintaining strict protocol regarding test results?

Either you do it fully (no audience combined with distance for organisation/staff) or don’t do it at all.
Agree ! Agree !

Reactions: dutchdescent
Today is the day if Jumbo and Ineos wants to hurt Poggy in any way.
I fully expect the likes of Roglic or Pidcock in an early mass break away perhaps with the support of half man half motors like WVA, Ganna or Van Baarle (although the last 2 were already in the break yesterday).

Here's to wishfull thinking and a spectacular stage. Pidcock to take yellow and stage.

That sure is optimistic

today is G-day.

the riders will tackle the two hardest climbs of this whole tour. the Galibier, where pantani dethroned ullrich, is the souvenir henri desGranGe for the 29th time. the Granon, where lemond slayed the badGer, is hiGh and lonG, and has a hiGh Gradient. the temperature above 30 deGrees celsius will add to the fatiGue in this queen staGe.

can poGacar hit them with his sledGehammer? hasn’t he been too Generous with the efforts of himself and his team? can vinGeGaard challenGe him at hiGh altitude? Is roGlic still a factor? can Geraint hanG on? can Gaudu keep the french hopes alive? who will rattle the small Gear and become le meilleur Grimpeur? Glance, Gape and GoGGle!
Forcing g...

It is a fine balance for sure. I think it is a odd protocol as well. But now I wanna focus on todays stage, where we will see a phoenix be reborn.

I’m hoping for a Pogostomp!

Pogimon might evolve or devolve today. Realistically it will be the first, but I just hope he shows he is human, that would make me like him more.

With Wout, Rog and the other doms, Jumbo have a team to challenge Pog. But I don't think Jumbo have the balls or the brains to implement it. So I expect a train, and Vinnie to go one on one against Pog. I expect Pog to win. It'd be more interesting if Vinnie won, but only marginally so. It's a must watch stage because it might deliver.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
If Jumbo and Ineos wants to put pressure on Pogacar, they should try it in the beginning of the stage or at the Galibier.

Just to accelerate at the Col de Granon doesn´t make sense in my eyes, because they just would help Pogacar with that..
The thing is, I think Pogacar is the better the harder the race is. But that said, you are obviously right - you can only expose the team’s weakness by not waiting on the last climb.

Today is the day if Jumbo and Ineos wants to hurt Poggy in any way.
I fully expect the likes of Roglic or Pidcock in an early mass break away perhaps with the support of half man half motors like WVA, Ganna or Van Baarle (although the last 2 were already in the break yesterday).

Here's to wishfull thinking and a spectacular stage. Pidcock to take yellow and stage.
This only works if all GC teams have a contender in the break, or those other teams will simply assist UAE in controlling the race. Either they will shut everything down, or they keep the break on a leash, which is even worse considering it's just wasted energy for the GC guys in the break. Imho for contenders still relatively close in GC, like Roglic, i would wait for an early attack on the final climb. It will isolate Pogacar and there will not be any domestiques around of other teams who are able to control a guy of the caliber of Roglic. That means you force Pogacar to react to every move by himself, wearing him down, or he has to take the chance of ignoring the attack and riding his own pace. A guy like Pidcock should be able to go in an early break because he is still very much unproven as a GC rider. But even then, there is no guarantee that you don't get guys defending their 9th place in GC and helping out Pogacar.

Unless UAE shows massive signs of weakness early in the stage, i would not send serious podium/top 5 contenders in an early break. Start by sending Kruijswijk, Kuss, Benoot... see how UAE react, before taking the chance to send Roglic.

TRENDING THREADS