Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 15 (Rodez – Carcassonne, 202.5k)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today on Lance Armstrong's podcast The Move, George Hincapie was beside himself with anger that Primož Roglič left the team to prepare for the Vuelta. He said that the only explanation is internal team dissension because no rider (with a few hated exceptions) would ever leave a team in contention unless they simply could not go.

Any info? Any thoughts?

Today on Lance Armstrong's podcast The Move, George Hincapie was beside himself with anger that Primož Roglič left the team to prepare for the Vuelta. He said that the only explanation is internal team dissension because no rider (with a few hated exceptions) would ever leave a team in contention unless they simply could not go.

Any info? Any thoughts?
I think Hincapie just wants to have Armstrong‘s approval. Roglič‘s performance was clearly getting worse and he still has a shot at winning the Vuelta if he starts recovering now in my opinion. I don‘t think trying to heroically sacrifice your season for your teammate while you clearly don‘t have the shape is that smart. Didn‘t listen to the podcast but this sounds like Hincapie is looking at this not from a Roglič but a Hincapie perspective. Besides all that, Roglič didn‘t really get to make a decision anyway.

Any info? Any thoughts?

In the end everybody is entitled to their opinion. My answer to that would be if Rogla would have done more for his teammate on this race. Then Rogla should get the title.

As you in my opinion really can't be angry at somebody who helped you gain two and a half minute advantage on Pogi. While that same person could barely lift his leg over the saddle.

On top of that we don't know who made the decision. Hence maybe one should get the facts straight first. As maybe it was not Roglič himself that was prepared or made to leave this race.

On top of that it's not like he needs to ask George. That is if he can now go ahead and prepare for the Vuetla.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Hincapie just wants to have Armstrong‘s approval. Roglič‘s performance was clearly getting worse and he still has a shot at winning the Vuelta if he starts recovering now in my opinion. I don‘t think trying to heroically sacrifice your season for your teammate while you clearly don‘t have the shape is that smart. Didn‘t listen to the podcast but this sounds like Hincapie is looking at this not from a Roglič but a Hincapie perspective. Besides all that, Roglič didn‘t really get to make a decision anyway.

Hincapie explained that something similar happened to him when he was in contention for a fairly important stage race (can't remember which one), and a teammate left because "his neck hurt." Hincapie says he was extremely angry then, lost by a few seconds, and has never spoken to that rider since.

In the end everybody is entitled to their opinion. My answer to that would be if Rogla would have done more for his teammate on this race. Then Rogla should get the title.

As you in my opinion really can't be angry at somebody who helped you gain two and a half minute advantage on Pogi. While that same person could barely lift his leg over the saddle.

On top of that we don't know who made the decision. Hence maybe one should get the facts straight first. As maybe it was not Roglič himself that was prepared or made to leave this race.

On top of that it's not like he needs to ask George. That is if he can now go ahead and prepare for the Vuetla.

Yes, of course people have opinions, but there are also codes of behavior deemed good and bad in the sport and in all areas of life. It didn't even occur to me that this was a bad move on Roglič's part. That's why I wanted to check with this bulletin board.

Yes, of course people have opinions, but there are also codes of behavior deemed good and bad in the sport and in all areas of life. It didn't even occur to me that this was a bad move on Roglič's part. That's why I wanted to check with this bulletin board.

If he would have abandon after stage 5. That might have been perceived as a bad move by some. As any of his leg was not missing. After stage 11 i feel that such people don't have any leverage left.

Any info? Any thoughts?

Hincape/Armstrong have a tendency to project, Armstrong especially is unable to comprehend the idea that others may possess sensibilities and motivations different to his own and it often leads to poor analysis, as well as this, neither of them actually watch much modern cycling and it tends to show.

From the interviews it sounds like Roglic didn't actually want to leave, but the DS made the call. FDJ made Pinot ride with a bad back in 2020 and it took 18 months off his career, Roglic's contribution was diminishing returns so I doubt he'd have done much in the Pyrenees without further damage.

I'd recommend the one Brunyneel does alone with the host instead, JB2. I have my problems with Johan (guys an *** in short) but he is very knowledgeable and has excellent race perspective. If he hadn't been blacklisted I'd say he should be in the UAE or Jumbo car.

Any info? Any thoughts?
Yes, lotsa thoughts but only one worth sharing:

Take the same set of facts and look at it from the other end. Here is a guy, Rogla, who pushed through enormous pain (and personal disappointment) to advance his team mate Jonas in a race for a jersey he himself has rightly pursued for years. He hung on as long as he could -- and, I suspect, far longer than almost any other rider would in his position -- and is largely responsible for the double-team decoy that has Pog down 2:22.

Asserting a direct, 'causal' connection to the Vuelta, which Rogla has already won 3 times running, is speculative and mean-spirited.

And a bonus thought: George always was a Lance fanboy who just cannot quit his addiction.

Reactions: RobertCrawley