• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 18 (Lourdes – Hautacam, 143.2k)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jonas to drop Pogacar on the mount doom of Danish cycling. Pogi didn't look great near the end today, I think Vingegaard can drop him.
I hope history will repeat itself 15 years later on the final mountain stage, strictly speaking of what happened on the road of course...

Reactions: spalco
This is it.

I was really disappointed that Pog didn't hit V on the last kilometer (at least) of the Peyragudes. It was perfect for him. He had V isolated and had McNutty in case anything went wrong. Yes, Pog won the stage, and he called it a good victory in the post-race interview, but it certainly wasn't. It was a defeat.

I would not be surprised to see Pogačar attacking at the foot of Hautacam and time trialing it all the way up with V. What does he have to lose?This is it.

Very interesting final mountain stage. So much can happen, and I take big enjoyment in seeing GC guys absolutely suffer and dumb infinite time like today, so hopefully more of that tomorrow.

One of the great things about this Tour is mountain top finishes. So many times in the past stages have been anticlimactic because they finish at the bottom of mountains in towns (that pay the Tour quite a bit to finish there)? There have been some complaints about the layout of the Tour this year and the timing of the stages, but overall I think it's been really terrific.

One of the great things about this Tour is mountain top finishes. So many times in the past stages have been anticlimactic because they finish in towns (that pay the Tour quite a bit to finish there)? There have been some complaints about the layout of the tour and the timing of the stages, but overall I think it's been really terrific.

I believe the descent finishes in 2021 were in part a reaction to the controlled racing in 2020 which led to a lot of stages being decided in uphill sprints in the last 500m or so.

Well, yeah. I mean McNulty hasn't exactly been spectacular this race and he was on the front forever. how hard could the tempo possibly be (for JV) at the end?

Mcnulty still put about a minute into Thomas who didn't fully crack and said after the stage he dropped on purpose and rode threshold, and way more into Bardet, Quintana, Gaudu, Mas etc. The penultimate climb was more infernal definitely but that last climb wasn't slow paced at all, especially with the accumulated fatigue in what was an insane stage. Mcnulty was better than Pogacar today imo, absurd as it sounds relative the rest of the race.

After today I'm way more skeptical regarding Pogacar's possible comeback. Before I still expected different race dynamics in the Pyrenees with Pog super strong and Vinge maybe feeling the effects of his crash. But today Vinge looked as strong as before while Pog wasn't even the strongest in his own team.

Watch out for a Pog super peak performance.

What I'm talking about is that one stage where he annihilates everyone. We haven't had that one yet. I know we're two years on yada yada yada but as a point of reference, on the final Wednesday of the 2020 TdF, Roglic put 15 seconds into Pogacar on the Col de la Loze. Then on the Thursday (one day later), Roglic even got a small gap on the Plateau des Glières (he eased off though). At that point, I don't think many thought Pogacar had that final ITT in his legs. Also there's last year where Le Grand-Bornand stage stands out as that one super performance where he earned most of his advantage in GC.

I'm not saying this will happen in 2022 (personally I believe this TdF has been over since stage 11), but if there's one rider with a 'wait & see' even when he's over two minutes down in GC, it's Tadej Pogacar.

Maybe McNulty & Bjerg had their super peak today, whereas Pogacar will have his own tomorrow.

Watch out for a Pog super peak performance.

Yeah, obviously it still can happen but the circumstances are more difficult this time: Pog hasn't shown he's able to drop everyone (like he did on Peyresourde), the weather won't help him tomorrow (contrary to Le Grand Bornand) while he himself didn't lose just 15 seconds on one stage but 3 minutes. Also some "help" from Vinge is needed (i.e. weaker day).

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Yeah, obviously it still can happen but the circumstances are more difficult this time: Pog hasn't shown he's able to drop everyone (like he did on Peyresourde), the weather won't help him tomorrow (contrary to Le Grand Bornand) while he himself didn't lose just 15 seconds on one stage but 3 minutes. Also some "help" from Vinge is needed (i.e. weaker day).

If nothing happens people will conclude Pogacar loses this TdF as a combination of being less dominant, getting tactically screwed on stage 11 & also Vingegaard's meteoric rise as his equal.

But, there's some inexplicable stuff like technically Pog should be way faster than McNulty on a climb. So it's not just a Vingegaard weaker day he needs, i.e. he needs a proper Pogacar good day.

It's tomorrow or never tbh.

If nothing happens people will conclude Pogacar loses this TdF as a combination of being less dominant, getting tactically screwed on stage 11 & also Vingegaard's meteoric rise as his equal.

But, there's some inexplicable stuff like technically Pog should be way faster than McNulty on a climb. So it's not just a Vingegaard weaker day he needs, i.e. he needs a proper Pogacar good day.

Today's measures suited him down to the ground.
...and they've played their cards.

Faster than McNulty ? The man has put 1:40 into the best of the rest while letting go when Pog attacked. It is a huuuge gap to all the other contenders in freaking Tour de France. McNulty, let's remember the name.

Faster than McNulty ? The man has put 1:40 into the best of the rest while letting go when Pog attacked. It is a huuuge gap to all the other contenders in freaking Tour de France. McNulty, let's remember the name.

My take might be controversial here but I don't think this field is that strong. Thomas is 36 & Ineos aren't at their best.

If peak Bernal & Roglic were getting dropped by McNulty, then sure I'd be saying 'wow', but look at the names behind: Thomas, Bardet, Gaudu, Quintana (what year is this?).

I still think peak Pogacar should be going faster on that final climb.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya

TRENDING THREADS