• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 19 (Castelnau-Magnoac – Cahors, 188.3k)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sure, I agree, but what's inconveniencing the Tour going to do, or holding up people in traffic, or trying to get themselves run over in a F1 race.

The only people who can do something are those in charge and the very rich who run the major companies.

Me, you, Matej Mohoric etc can do feck all. Even changing our own habits a bit by buying more sustainable clothes (I do this anyway), using more public instead of private transport is like an ant trying to push over mountains, it ain't going to matter one bit.

Yes I agree, there’s no way out through ethical consumerism. But most climate protesters understand that and aim to create a wider movement focused on political change, a process which will sometimes involve inconveniencing large numbers of people. That’s the nature of antagonistic social movements, and there is basically no inconvenience this one can inflict that will seem in any way significant compared a failure to mitigate climate change.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
But again, this way all the achieve is annoying people.
Also; it kinda failed today; ASO refused to film them.

I know this is gonna be an incredibly unpopular opinion, but I think most if not all of these protesters are suffering from a mild-severe mental illness. So strategic thinking shouldnt be expected. I wanna note that I dont think beeing mentally ill (in this case anxiety disorder of various degrees) is something condemable at all and its not mutually exclusive to actually protesting the right thing, which those protesters are undoubtfully doing. I just think theyre doing themselves and their movements a disservice overall, likely because their judgement is clouded

Yes I agree, there’s no way out through ethical consumerism. But most climate protesters understand that and aim to create a wider movement focused on political change, a process which will sometimes involve inconveniencing large numbers of people. That’s the nature of antagonistic social movements, and there is basically no inconvenience this one can inflict that will seem in any way significant compared a failure to mitigate climate change.

Ya, I just think their current actions preach to those already converted, pushes others furthers away and annoys those in the middle (which is most of us) who are willing to accept some changes. Just a terrible tactic imo on getting people on board with change.

Yes, but have they considered protesting in a way that affects those that actually have a major part in causing it?
Look, compared with the global population as a whole even the average poorer residents of wealthy countries contribute a lot toward climate change. That isn't to say we are all equally complicit, individual choice has very little to do with any of this. It's just important to recognise that we (residents of wealthy countries) are collectively the biggest obstacles to change, as opposed to the usual racist distractions (China, "overpopulation" in Africa etc).

I know this is gonna be an incredibly unpopular opinion, but I think most if not all of these protesters are suffering from a mild-severe mental illness. So strategic thinking shouldnt be expected. I wanna note that I dont think beeing mentally ill (in this case anxiety disorder of various degrees) is something condemable at all and its not mutually exclusive to actually protesting the right thing, which those protesters are undoubtfully doing. I just think theyre doing themselves and their movements a disservice overall, likely because their judgement is clouded
I think this speaks to how disconnected even from the relatively recent past we are. No one's throwing or mailing bombs, trying to blow up Macron's car, or anything of the sort. This is all incredibly benign, and you're going on about mental illness. Sounds a little hysterical to me.

I think this speaks to how disconnected even from the relatively recent past we are. No one's throwing or mailing bombs, trying to blow up Macron's car, or anything of the sort. This is all incredibly benign, and you're going on about mental illness. Sounds a little hysterical to me.

Thats possible of course, Im from germany and since a year or so Ive been thiking I wouldnt be at all surprised if we would see a sort of climate-RAF in my country in the foreseeable future... At the time even I thought thats quite the bold prediction, but since then multiple high ranking members of friday for future and extinction rebellion have puplicly entertained that idea... So we will see I guess?

Edit: But i guess this isnt really the place to discuss such things, so Ill restrain myself from any further engagement, feel free to answer and berate me of course, if you see fit :)

Ah, but a race sabotage will help with that, lol. It's not a choice between one or the other. You might as well say that the pandemic is more inconvenient, or that no one should complain about "first world problems" because someone somewhere has it worse than you.
All successful social movements antagonistic to the status quo involve disruption, because creating serious social change generally involves heightening a sense of crisis. Climate protestors have thus far been remarkably restrained. The suffragettes, that most retrospectively respectable of social movements, bombed churches and set fire to moving trains. The world was full of people claiming that the suffragettes were setting back their cause too.

TRENDING THREADS