• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 6 (Binche – Longwy, 219.9k)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only explanation for others teams tactics over the last 2 days is is the voodoo doll is now with Pogacar

Bettiol does his bidding and chases his own team
Stuyven continues to ride when all hope of catching the break is gone
WVA goes up the road , expends all his energy and lets Pogacar win the stage and get bonus seconds
Roglic leads out his sprint

Every rival crashes or has a mechanical at the wrong moment

QED

Only explanation for others teams tactics over the last 2 days is is the voodoo doll is now with Pogacar

Bettiol does his bidding and chases his own team
Stuyven continues to ride when all hope of catching the break is gone
WVA goes up the road , expends all his energy and lets Pogacar win the stage and get bonus seconds
Roglic leads out his sprint

Every rival crashes or has a mechanical at the wrong moment

QED
He's a demigod, he is goddess Fortuna concubine.

They were so even on the climbs when they faced off in 2021, and Roglic had improved his time trialing. It takes blind faith to believe Pogacar would have blown healthy Roglic out of the water last year, but you certainly seem to have that :)
Not blind faith sir, only results. What Pog did in the Alpes last year was simply beyond the best Roglic. And so was Strade Bianche and Carpegna in Tirreno this year. As I have already stated Roglic is working class, admirable and super dedicated, courageous, hard as nails, but Pog is prodigious, a genius on two wheels. He is a Mozart, a Bernini of pedaling and this type of genius is rare in history.

Well if those two losers may perhaps have beaten him, then clearly it was pretty ***.
No I mean it's nothing new. It's 100% the expected result, yet people treat it like it's an outlier or more dominant than expected. Roglic could beat Pog here too if he's not injured and times it well, but it's all whatever.

I was commuting when the finish happened, and I was reading this thread. Based on the posts in here I thought he'd look more ridiculous than he did.

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
Not blind faith sir, only results. What Pog did in the Alpes last year was simply beyond the best Roglic. And so was Strade Bianche and Carpegna in Tirreno this year. As I have already stated Roglic is working class, admirable and super dedicated, courageous, hard as nails, but Pog is prodigious, a genius on two wheels. He is a Mozart, a Bernini of pedaling and this type of genius is rare in history.

Yeah. Roglič is more like Beethoven.

Only just saw the finish. You guys made it seem more ridiculous than it was. It's not even his best sprint this year.

If Van Aert or MvdP show up here in half decent shape they clean him up I think.
Are you kidding? We are 5 stages into the Tour, with a tt, nervous courses, pavé Yesterday...and today was ridden at lightning speed. When Tadej opened the gas at the end of a long stage he immediately got 3 meters. Only a MvdP at his very best, like Alaphilippe, could compete, but certainly not "clean him up." That's ridiculous

Are you kidding? We are 5 stages into the Tour, with a tt, nervous courses, pavé Yesterday...and today was ridden at lightning speed and when Tadej opened the gas at the end of a long stage immediately got 3 meters. Only a MvdP at his very bes, like Alaphilippe, could compete, but certainly not "clean him up." That's ridicilous
It’s not ridiculous, Ala or MVDP would win here, and pretty easily.

If we actually analyze the data we have, there's no reason to believe it was much better than what peak Roglic has achieved.

My take is that at their very best, they're really close. At least if we only look at stage races. Peak Pog probably has a slight edge in the mountains. Peak Rog has the edge in the time trial. What sets Pogacar apart is the fact that he brings that level to the races much more consistently, and then stays on his bike when he does.

And don't get me wrong. The way Pog races now a days, his incredible versatility and the aura he's built, combined with the fact that he brings it pretty much every single time, means he's the best rider I've ever seen. No doubt about that.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Lotto rider after losing his contact lens

FXE8VDbWIAMLpll

• Wow
Reactions: JosefK
If we actually analyze the data we have, there's no reason to believe it was much better than what peak Roglic has achieved.

My take is that at their very best, they're really close. At least if we only look at stage races. Peak Pog probably has a slight edge in the mountains. Peak Rog has the edge in the time trial. What sets Pogacar apart is the fact that he brings that level to the races much more consistently, and then stays on his bike when he does.

And don't get me wrong. The way Pog races now a days, his incredible versatility and the aura he's built, combined with the fact that he brings it pretty much every single time, means he's the best rider I've ever seen. No doubt about that.
I get it, but I don't think so. We haven't even seem peak Pog yet, which is scary.

I agree. It's hard not go past the impression that this Tour was designed to balance Roglic's odds with Pogacar.

Only just saw the finish. You guys made it seem more ridiculous than it was. It's not even his best sprint this year.

If Van Aert or MvdP show up here in half decent shape they clean him up I think.

I don't think you could say about any of the strongest one day classic riders (Van Aert, van der Poel, Pogacar, Roglic, Evenepoel etc) that they could easily beat the others on hilly finishes.

Are you kidding? We are 5 stages into the Tour, with a tt, nervous courses, pavé Yesterday...and today was ridden at lightning speed. When Tadej opened the gas at the end of a long stage he immediately got 3 meters. Only a MvdP at his very best, like Alaphilippe, could compete, but certainly not "clean him up." That's ridiculous
The fatigue is the point. He recovers better from hard flat stages than the guys he's cleaning up. And he accelerates quickly because he sprinted on a small gear.

Reactions: hayneplane
I don't think you could say about any of the strongest one day classic riders (Van Aert, van der Poel, Pogacar, Roglic, Evenepoel etc) that they could easily beat the others on hilly finishes.
Consider Pog's win at Liege last year, beating Alaphilippe in the sprint as he did. In a rare moment of tactical blunder he was trumped in Flanders this year playing cat and mouse with MvdP, suprised by the chasing duo who ruffled his feathers; whereas in an up to speed sprint it would have been very close. The thing with Pog is he does it all, tt, climbing, fast finishing on tough arrivals like today, stage racing, cobbles, grand tours. A monster.

Looking at how the stage played out, having Wout and Simmons in the break was kind of a waste. Simmons could have contested the final for sure, and Wout just wasted energy he'll need later, and might have even been there at the end, too. A 2 rider break, even really good rouleurs, has no chance against a motivated TDF peloton.

Reactions: Extinction

TRENDING THREADS