• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2023, stage 17: Saint-Gervais Mont Blanc - Courchevel, 165.7k

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm so confused. Yesterday was mental. Today was pretty standard.

Pog just imploded.
The thing is: 'normal' after a mental day is not what you would expect. I actually expected both of them to be happy to let a break go as both opf them were rather 'amazingly fast' yesterday. Just watch Gall tomorrow. He'll probably be lucky to arrive with the main peloton.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm so confused. Yesterday was mental. Today was pretty standard.

Pog just imploded.
who knows what happened whether it was a hunger knock, a bad day, the crash affecting him more than it looked like, the condensed prep catching up- even though Vigne is by the body of evidence the better high altitude climber Pog certainly under performed significantly as against those you’d expect him to hold his own against. Reminded me of Ullrich’s implosion on the stage to Les Deux Alpes in 1998 though of course Pog was not in yellow today

But Ironically this will make him even more popular out there with the neutrals
neutral, in what world?
Are you the so-called "neutral" one your talking about.? https://forum.cyclingnews.com/members/hellodolly.112044/#latest-activity

Sadly the opposite, I reckon this level of radicalism that some display because of "cycling" risk tarnishing the rep of a champ like Pogacar & that's a shame as Pogacar is the exact opposite and a very sympathetic levelheaded fellow with great honesty and self-awareness..

Last edited:
Ok my take is that Vingo payed for his effort at Loze.
But OK also impressing ride by Bilbao, thinking not only last ramp but since Meribel (i.e. what I've seen of the stage).
Thought he looked a bit laboured before Kelderman paced him for a while, and the time didn't go down, before he went hard again the last bit.

But of course he was really tired in the end, TJV set a hard pace all day and la Loze is brutal.

Reactions: Sandisfan
who knows what happened whether it was a hunger knock, a bad day, the crash affecting him more than it looked like, the condensed prep catching up- even though Vigne is by the body of evidence the better high altitude climber Pog certainly under performed significantly as against those you’d expect him to hold his own against. Reminded me of Ullrich’s implosion on the stage to Les Deux Alpes in 1998 though of course Pog was not in yellow today
Turns out you can't just go and win the TDF on a whim after focusing on a mega successful classics season - AND breaking your wrist completely messing up your prep.
Meanwhile the defending champ is laser focused on this race with perfect leadup and preparation

I think we can now safely say that Jumbo have cracked the code regarding Pogacar. There are those who will put it down to the crash, and of course that won't have helped, but this is what Jumbo were betting on for the whole Tour and they've done it. Just perhaps a bit more successfully than even they would have expected.

It wasn't very enjoyable to watch though. Granon was just a blip compared to this. I'm pretty sure we'll see a different Pogacar next year, with a different preparation. Unless he decides to go full classics mode and forgets about winning the Tour.

That's rich 😂. I thought you were off to the clinic an hour ago
Does posting in the clinic require to seize all posting in other subforums? What a daft thing to say, which only proves that you don't even understand the definition of the word neutral. Saying something good about a rider doesn't require to be a fan of him and saying something critical of a rider doesn't automatically make you a fanboi of the opponent. Take a dictionary and look up the word...

• Haha
Reactions: ManicJack