• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2023, stage 7: Mont-de-Marsan - Bordeaux, 169.9k

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Philippsen is really one of the least convincing "dominant sprinters" in recent Tours? There is usually one guy who wins the majority of the sprints and that's clearly him this time but I'm really not sold on him yet.
Maybe he's less of a "pure" sprinter (he's been building a bit of a classics resume) but if he isn't dominant surely there must be someone who is close. But is there?

Well in terms of pure speed, he has won against anyone so far, but he obviously has a lot to thank Mathieu for. I think that's the best leadout rider I have seen or at least can remember, because god knows I don't really remember that stuff.

I can't be mad at that domination at all though, he seems like a nice lad and he's by far the most versatile of the top sprinters considering he has finished second in Roubaix. That's truly the mark of a very well rounded rider when he can also sprint like this, so Im a fan of course.

You act as if sprinters never touch each other.

No he doesn't, he is just pointing to why it was an unfair sprint by Philipsen, which appears to be in clear conflict with the rules on "staying in your lane".

When you watch the replay, Philipsen launched his sprint from the extreme left of the road, then went clear across the road to close the gap to the right of Cavendish on Girmay and squeezing him into the barrier, before then switching direction again and passing Cavendish on the left.

It's one of the wildest cases of deviation we have ever seen in a sprint, without it resulting in penalty - which I think is what many find surprising.

Reactions: xo 1
Well in terms of pure speed, he has won against anyone so far, but he obviously has a lot to thank Mathieu for. I think that's the best leadout rider I have seen or at least can remember, because god knows I don't really remember that stuff.

I can't be mad at that domination at all though, he seems like a nice lad and he's by far the most versatile of the top sprinters considering he has finished second in Roubaix. That's truly the mark of a very well rounded rider when he can also sprint like this, so Im a fan of course.
Basically you literally can't have a better leadout than MvdP because typically leadouts tend to be sprinters themselves who just lack some top end speed, not guys who are physiological freaks

I dunno about "endangered", but he definitely went from the extreme left, to the extreme right, and impeeded Girmey from launching his sprint... he may even have made contact with his front wheel.
I'm also not sure about how much he actually "endangered" Girmay, as I've seen way worse moves in many sprint finishes, and of course fighting for positions is part of being a sprinter. But at least we shouldn't act like Philipsen just follows van der Poel's wheel or just tries to get to Cavendish's wheel etc. To me it's clear that he changes his lane on purpose to impede others in their sprint. He is clever enough to do it at the edge of what is allowed (or let's better say "of what is tolerated"), though.

No he doesn't, he is just pointing to why it was an unfair sprint by Philipsen, which appears to be in clear conflict with the rules on "staying in your lane".

When you watch the replay, Philipsen launched his sprint from the extreme left of the road, then went clear across the road to close the gap to the right of Cavendish on Girmay and squeezing him into the barrier, before then switching direction again and passing Cavendish on the left.

It's one of the wildest cases of deviation we have ever seen in a sprint, without it resulting in penalty - which I think is what many find surprising.
He went across the road to take Cavendish's wheel, not to squeeze Girmay into the barrier. I'm pretty sure Girmay could see it happen from a mile away and is mostly frustrated that he didn't manage to get ahead of Philippsen in time.

"Before then switching direction again and passing Cavendish on the left"

So the faster guy should stay behind the slower rider in front of him, because otherwise he would be switching direction?

I'm also not sure about how much he actually "endangered" Girmay, as I've seen way worse moves in many sprint finishes, and of course fighting for positions is part of being a sprinter. But at least we shouldn't act like Philipsen just follows van der Poel's wheel or just tries to get to Cavendish's wheel etc. To me it's clear that he changes his lane on purpose to impede others in their sprint. He is clever enough to do it at the edge of what is allowed (or let's better say "of what is tolerated"), though.

I find it surprising it was not penalised, thinking on the previous penalties handed out in sprints this Tour.

It's appears to both be an obvious case of deviation and an obvious case of deliberate impeeding.

To me it's clear that the sun revolves around the earth. I mean just look at it, it's kinda obvious

He went across the road to take Cavendish's wheel, not to squeeze Girmay into the barrier. I'm pretty sure Girmay could see it happen from a mile away and is mostly frustrated that he didn't manage to get ahead of Philippsen in time.

"Before then switching direction again and passing Cavendish on the left"

So the faster guy should stay behind the slower rider in front of him, because otherwise he would be switching direction?

But he DID squeeze Girmay into the barrier.

Intent is not the issue - and makes no sense to debate when none of us can know.

I am speaking to the changes in direction, because of the rules on maintaining your lane in a sprint.

From where Philipsen started, he had a wide open lane to the line, there was no need for him to change lanes, and when it resulted in impeeding another rider that he did change lanes, it became a rule infraction.

To be clear, you can change lanes as much as you want in a print - UNLESS it impeedes another rider - if it does it becomes an infraction.

Reactions: xo 1

What do you mean "close the gap to the right of Cavendish"? Cav himself closed the door on the right side. If Cav hadn't done that, Girmay could have tried to pass on Cav's right.

The deviations that are penalized happen when a slowing rider knows he will get passed and changes lines purely to prevent that from happening. Phillipsen was the one doing the passing and he had a perfectly good reason to ride where he did, which was to benefit from Cav's slipstream. That Girmay had the same idea (with poorer execution) was just a coincidence. As soon as Phillipsen got close to Cav, Girmay handed him the wheel.

I doubt you've ever raced because this is exactly what sprinting consists of. It's a game of chicken where might makes right.

Reactions: Didinho and jono
To me it's clear that the sun revolves around the earth. I mean just look at it, it's kinda obvious
It's clear to me because he has changed langes in every single sprint finish so far. First stage win, I give him the benefit of the doubt and that the barriers were designed in a bad way. Second stage win, he overtakes van der Poel and then goes completely to the right (not to get someone's wheel) instead of sprinting in his lane to the finish line, because that way he get's slightly in front of Ewan who has to go to the left to pass him. Today, he deviated from his line again. If you don't see a pattern...