• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France Femmes 2022 (July 24th-31st)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hands up anyone else who is watching the Eurosport/GCN coverage with the volume turned off because they can't stand Marty MacDonald's commentary style?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of contractual requirement to say both the first and last names of every rider (and the full team names?), because the men's race commentary just say the ride's surname.

And then for good measure, he'll often say the riders full name and then their teams immediately afterwards, and in the same sentence repeat it. The mens commentary doesn't have this repetitive verbal style, which allows more time to discuss the race, and Marty's technique simply rider spots.

And now he's started translating "Maillot Jaune" at every opportunity........... all very distracting, not entertaining, and detracts from the race action.

:eek: There are times when you just have to suck it up and take the impact of the crash because swerving to avoid will just take out more of the riders behind you, but that is next level.

Yeah sure, but I don't know anything about her. Some of the women don't do that many races. Might be lack of experience, over-anxiety etc. If you haven't really been in situations like that before, you just might do something really stupid. I don't want to say it's like that, but hm.

From what I gather she'd been involved in a previous incident and was going hell for leather to chase back on, giving it the full Froome stare at the stem and going full gas, and didn't look up until way, way, way too late to react to what was going on in front of her. Scary impact, the way Cavalli's legs are cut out from under her and she flips back to land on her back and snap her head back from the road. Also not sure what was going on with the rider who crashes in the grass a little ahead of where Frain hits Cavalli, I can see exactly why and how she went down, but she seemed to be wandering off into the fields as though she didn't know where she was.

Did see some hilarious roasting of SD Worx's tactical aptitude from Jens Dekker on Twitter what with one SD Worx rider sat at the back of the group not contributing, Vollering dithering way too long before contributing (as well as complaining to others), then panicking at the gap, taking a huge pull which then blows the riders she's hoping to collaborate with out the back, then, after expending her own forces, realises she's getting no help (because she blew up those helping chase) and drops back...

I'm gonna be made to pay for not picking Kasia in the Prediction Game now, aren't I... at least the pick I took in the spot I would have had Kasia in was Elisa Longo Borghini so she was there too.

Hands up anyone else who is watching the Eurosport/GCN coverage with the volume turned off because they can't stand Marty MacDonald's commentary style?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of contractual requirement to say both the first and last names of every rider (and the full team names?), because the men's race commentary just say the ride's surname.

And then for good measure, he'll often say the riders full name and then their teams immediately afterwards, and in the same sentence repeat it. The mens commentary doesn't have this repetitive verbal style, which allows more time to discuss the race, and Marty's technique simply rider spots.

And now he's started translating "Maillot Jaune" at every opportunity........... all very distracting, not entertaining, and detracts from the race action.
He and Rowe are just appalling to listen to.

From what I gather she'd been involved in a previous incident and was going hell for leather to chase back on, giving it the full Froome stare at the stem and going full gas, and didn't look up until way, way, way too late to react to what was going on in front of her. Scary impact, the way Cavalli's legs are cut out from under her and she flips back to land on her back and snap her head back from the road. Also not sure what was going on with the rider who crashes in the grass a little ahead of where Frain hits Cavalli, I can see exactly why and how she went down, but she seemed to be wandering off into the fields as though she didn't know where she was.

Did see some hilarious roasting of SD Worx's tactical aptitude from Jens Dekker on Twitter what with one SD Worx rider sat at the back of the group not contributing, Vollering dithering way too long before contributing (as well as complaining to others), then panicking at the gap, taking a huge pull which then blows the riders she's hoping to collaborate with out the back, then, after expending her own forces, realises she's getting no help (because she blew up those helping chase) and drops back...

I'm gonna be made to pay for not picking Kasia in the Prediction Game now, aren't I... at least the pick I took in the spot I would have had Kasia in was Elisa Longo Borghini so she was there too.

Judged from the results, I think it was Anne van Rooijen from PHV who was wandering about in the fields. I haven't seen any updates from them.

And yes, SD Worx having Vollering, Moolman-Pasio and Kopecky in the group guaranteed that they weren't going to close the gap.

Movistar had numbers in the group, but according to Norsgaard, Van Vleuten was panicking a bit, and that might be why they pushed hard instead of keeping a high and steady pace pace for a little longer.

I think Marty is just one of those commentators that feels that they need to be filling every moment of the broadcast. That's fine when stuff is going on, but when it isn't, sometimes that's when you need a few seconds of silence to let the scenery speak for itself (although you might have to suffer through an interminable Carlton Kirby anecdote about a restaurant dinner 25 years ago or something, your mileage may vary as to whether that is preferable or not to Marty repeating himself). He's always kind of been the guy that gets lumbered with obscure small one-dayers and the Asia Tour races and stuff like that where almost all the riders are going to be unknown to the audience, but in recent years I think he has quite sensibly chosen to focus on doing primarily the women's races and has made himself the go-to play by play commentator on those.

He's a weird one, though. I first came across him commentating solo on the 2010 Tour of Turkey and thought he was really good, and then other times I've heard him and thought he was a trainwreck. To this day, some days I think he's one of the best commentators Eurosport have and really doing a great job of selling the race and picking out the contenders and potential moves to look out for, and other days I get massively frustrated with him as he's either saying "Anna Henderson" 35 times in a minute or he's telling you the names of the riders in the break, reading out their results from an aggregator like CQ, PCS or FirstCycling, then telling you who the riders in the break are again because he forgot he just told you that.

TRENDING THREADS