• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France stage 10: Tuesday, St-Gildas-des-Bois - Saint Malo

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2009
Visit site
Polza_ said:
He did in his first tweet.

Mark Cavendish ‏@MarkCavendish 2h
Not seen a replay of the final yet, but was involved in an incident with Tom Veelers. Whatever has happened, if I'm at fault, I'm sorry.

Only if he holds himself at fault. Which it doesn't really seem from his subsequent tweets.

Seeing as most people on here don't and never have raced, including me, this seems very relevant.

@Mark Cavendish
Can all sprint experts on twitter go & try flicking their bike right at 65kph without leaning your body left to balance & come back to me.

Seems he was trying to avoid him but just couldn't.

King Boonen said:
Seeing as most people on here don't and never have raced, including me, this seems very relevant.

@Mark Cavendish
Can all sprint experts on twitter go & try flicking their bike right at 65kph without leaning your body left to balance & come back to me.

Seems he was trying to avoid him but just couldn't.

Greg Henderson ‏@Greghenderson1 5m
Dont get me wrong. @MarkCavendish is not a crazy sprinter. Never has been, never will be. He has speed. Today was a mistake by him IMO.

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Cav did bad

DQ would be silly, relegated would be reasonable. The Stannard incident was not comparable, it was a crowded road and it got narrow. Cav messed up badly to knock Kittel off his bike. Cav was out of position, out of contention, and if he had to flick his bike to get around Kittel then he wasn't paying attention.

Look381 said:
DQ would be silly, relegated would be reasonable. The Stannard incident was not comparable, it was a crowded road and it got narrow. Cav messed up badly to knock Kittel off his bike. Cav was out of position, out of contention, and if he had to flick his bike to get around Kittel then he wasn't paying attention.

You weren't paying attention, it wasn't Kittel. :rolleyes:

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazed at some of the comments on here from armchair watchers who have probably never been involved in a real sprint either on the road or on a velodrome. Sprinting is a tough business, actions are taken in split seconds, and riders sometimes make the wrong decisions. In this case, the replays clearly show a number of things:

1. Veelers peeled off the lead out and did not make enough of an attempt to get out of the way of the following sprinters. Sure, you don't have to go off to the side, but you shouldn't slow down right in front of the others and you should make predictable movements.

2. Cavendish probably had the wrong wheel (Veelers'), realized it, then tried to get around him. At the same time, Veelers slowed and swerved to the right by about a foot (impossibly to know if this was deliberate blocking, but he did take a look at Cavendish before he did it which would lead me to believe it was an impeding move).

3. Cavendish used his exceptional track-derived handling skills to avoid going down by using his body weight and his shoulder (not his elbows, not his head) at 40 mph. This is not easy.

I'd say Veelers made the dangerous move (slowing and swerving at least a foot) - probably not malicious, but not safe. Cavendish was protecting himself from going down.

May 10, 2013
Visit site
William H said:
Only if he holds himself at fault. Which it doesn't really seem from his subsequent tweets.

Why would you apologies if you weren't at fault? Whether he is at fault is another matter to me looks 50/50 you could blame either for different reasons.
Are biased people either way and even unbiased people will see the incident.

Greg Henderson recons it was Cavs fault Robbie McEwen that it was an accident.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Polza_ said:
Why would you apologies if you weren't at fault? Whether he is at fault is another matter to me looks 50/50 you could blame either for different reasons.
Are biased people either way and even unbiased people will see the incident.

He shouldn't apologise if he doesn't think he did anything wrong, absolutely. All I'm saying is that as it stands, he hasn't apologised

Greg Henderson recons it was Cavs fault Robbie McEwen that it was an accident.

Being an accident doesn't mean it wasn't Cav's fault. Just that there wasn't any malicious intent

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree with TrackCynic. I think people are failing to really consider just how fast they were going. We're talking a guy moving over at 65kph and Cav having to both go around him and protect himself from eating asphalt. This was just an unfortunate racing accident.

King Boonen said:
Exactly, nowhere near it. He also didn't bad-mouth Greipel when he sent Martin flying. If you don't have a point don't try and use a random quote from someone else in an attempt to make one.

I didn't try to make a point,i just post what a pro tweeted regarding the incident.Sorry, if you don"t like it, HTFU mofo. I don't really care whether it was cavendish or Veelers fault.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Look381 said:

Jesus who is this guy?? he doesn't even know the result??

Yet his first instinct is to slag some guy!

FFS !!

Zam_Olyas said:
I didn't try to make a point,i just post what a pro tweeted regarding the incident.Sorry, if you don"t like it, HTFU mofo. I don't really care whether it was cavendish or Veelers fault.

If you're not trying to make a point then why quote my post?

Or maybe you were, realised it looked ridiculous and tried to bail? Nice try flower.