• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Stage 1 was an anomaly bar Gilbert. 75% of the field was on the deck or soft pedaling in to the finish. Evans only finished 2nd because there was no one else.

Erm, he beat the 2nd favourite for the stage (Hushovd) by 3 seconds??????

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Erm, he beat the 2nd favourite for the stage (Hushovd) by 3 seconds??????

Anyone who doesn't rate evans on this sort of finish is delusional.

I belittle evans in the cols at every little chance, but in these finishes not many riders are as good.

Unfortunately for cadel, the cols are more decisive :p

auscyclefan94 said:
When was Contador better than Evans on these finishes?

Never. Cuddles is the most awesomest rider ever on 10% grades. Contador will lose at least 30 seconds when Cuddles unleashes his awesomeness tomorrow. AC should just pack up and head home before he gets embarrassed by Cuddles. :p

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Grand Tours:

AC: 6
Evans: 0

Talk is cheap. I like Cadel and all, but he's no Contador.

correct but in todays race of the tour.

Evans is favoured over Contador anyway you look at it.

This is the Phil and Cadel show. In a week or so it will be Alberto and Andy show.

Gilbert or Evans for the win
Tommy v
Vino

I also this contador will try and get some time back.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the finish imo favours gilbert's characteristics perfectly but other punchers are likely to spoil his day - vino of course and (has anyone mentioned) cunego.

if contador has the legs he will almost certainly try to jump away.

evans ? i think he'll try but will be outfoxed.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
cadel wont podium. Mark my words :)

Cuddles has a really good shot. With AC out of it, if he can latch on to Andy's wheel (and really, besides Bottle, is there a better wheel sucker in the peloton today?) in the mountains and limit his losses, he crushes him in the TT to win his first Grand Tour ever.

No, in all seriousness, Cuddles will manage to screw up his advantage shortly. But he will be in yellow tomorrow barring an injury or Hushovd putting in the ride of his life.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Publicus said:
Cuddles has a really good shot. With AC out of it, if he can latch on to Andy's wheel (and really, besides Bottle, is there a better wheel sucker in the peloton today?) in the mountains and limit his losses, he crushes him in the TT to win his first Grand Tour ever.

No, in all seriousness, Cuddles will manage to screw up his advantage shortly. But he will be in yellow tomorrow barring an injury or Hushovd putting in the ride of his life.

Thats got to be the plan. But he needs a minute or 2 on Andy before stage 12 without going too deep.

They got through the TTT better than anyone expected.

Be great if Evans started the TT 30 down on Andy. Even Ryo would be wanting Evans to win.

If he does win I hope BMC dont let him talk - tears and he will say something stupid

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
Thats got to be the plan. But he needs a minute or 2 on Andy before stage 12 without going too deep.

Be great if Evans started the TT 30 down on Andy. Even Ryo would be wanting Evans to win.

If he does win I hope BMC dont let him talk - tears and he will say something stupid

???? It is better than just saying all this cliched bull**** like most athletes come out with these days. Nothing wrong with showing some emotion. Shows they aren't robots and that it means something to them.

just some guy said:

Well that's not going to happen. And if Cuddles wins a Grand Tour, any Grand Tour, he's entitled to celebrate however he likes, including crying tears of joy. Don't mistake my tweaking of ACF's nose about Cuddles as a sign of disrespect for Cuddles. He's a top notch rider and you can't really fault him--he's true to who he is as a rider. He's just unfortunate in that AC came into his prime when Cuddles had his best shot at a GT.

thehog said:
Stage 1 was an anomaly bar Gilbert. 75% of the field was on the deck or soft pedaling in to the finish. Evans only finished 2nd because there was no one else.

True but the point is that he looks good, having done well there and got so close to yellow. I think that stage was more to his advantage though, having the steepest bit last.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if AC is trying to attack at the end of the stage to gain back some seconds. The Schlecks better will have an eye on him. ACs form seems on the rise. I was surprised not to see him dropped yesterday due to the wind when the crossed that bridge... BTW, that point showed which status Basso has among the favorites- he lost contact and nobody took up tempo to put time into him...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
Wonder if AC is trying to attack at the end of the stage to gain back some seconds. The Schlecks better will have an eye on him. ACs form seems on the rise. I was surprised not to see him dropped yesterday due to the wind when the crossed that bridge... BTW, that point showed which status Basso has among the favorites- he lost contact and nobody took up tempo to put time into him...

You must of had strange expectations. His actual form is totally unknown like pretty much every tdf contender. The first day we will possibly see any cracks is the stage to Super Besse. Did you seriously think he would be dropped on the bridge?

My predictions:

Kolobnev and/or Gerdemann to launch something speculative and ultimately futile about 10k before the finish.

Gilbert to eek out a buffer on the steep section and narrowly hold off Cunego, and a fast closing pair of Contador and Evans riding together on the flatter top section.

Evans to take the yellow jersey, but get sick in the next day or two courtesy of foul weather today.