• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Riding like a *****, that's generally not Contador's style.

Obviously, but I've seen him calculate as well.
He will need to crawl out of his shell earlier this year and hopefully he'll be forced to keep putting the hammer down until the last stage.

Barracuda said:
Whats the weather update looking like ???

Rain about to arrive there, could be fairly heavy for a time, then easing once they get about an hour in. Bit of a SW'ly wind, not that much though. Could well be a crosswind from 30km left to go to 15km left to go although the wind is likely to start turning round a bit more westerly by then so there will be a touch of tailwind at that time too. Wonder if anyone will try anything.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Rain about to arrive there, could be fairly heavy for a time, then easing once they get about an hour in. Bit of a SW'ly wind, not that much though. Could well be a crosswind from 30km left to go to 15km left to go although the wind is likely to start turning round a bit more westerly by then so there will be a touch of tailwind at that time too. Wonder if anyone will try anything.

Cheers ...... only 3 hours to go here in Oz till coverage starts so maybe a wet and windy ride eh

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Yesterday when the peleton broke apart on the bridge they had all the chances in the world to spice up things. But they just decided to soft pedal. Therefore i've no hope at all that anything will happen before the final 2km

It was over 50km to the finish, with only Basso dropped. Not much point of sacrificing your team for that.

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it is that Contador has to attack every stage that has a steep section. His team is surely good enough to cover any breaks and should put him in a good position to have a real go in the final steep section. For him to let this stage go as a non event is unthinkable. He needs every second he can get to make up time. He is not going to blow everybody away by minutes in the mountain stages and he will be looking for the maximum amount of 'seconds' in stages that suits him. Stage 4 has climbs....he's a climber ergo he has to have a real go today. Just my opinion of course.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Well an alliance of a a few teams just would have needed to sacrfise 1 or max two riders each and Basso would have been gone forever

I don't know why you keep banging on about this. The way Basso is riding he isn't a threat to anyone. it isn't worth expending that much domestique energy so early in the tour to put two minutes in to a guy who looks like he will lose at least that much on the first mountain finish.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Will be full on heading to the foot of the final climb. Just hope there are no crashes and the best rider wins on the day. I am tipping Evans to come past Gilbert in the final 50m to take the stage and yellow. I think Contador will round out the top 3.
Evans to stay in yellow up till stage 12, where I expect Andy to claim it. I think Evans will gain 10-15 seconds over other GC contenders (beside Contador) at Super Besse on Saturday,and maybe a few seconds today.
He knows he needs as much head start as he can get heading into the big climbs.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hushovd will lose something like a half minute or more on this I predict.

Cadel Eeebans, Gilbert and maybe Vino to battle for the win (but Gilbert will take it)

TRENDING THREADS