• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it's pretty safe to say that Andy's form just isn't there yet. His Tour de Suisse was bad, but that's common. What he showed in the TTT and here is just below his level, even if he isn't at a 100% yet. He still has time, but he'll need it. One consolation is that last year his prologue was extremely poor as well (lost more time in those couple of kilometers on Contador than in the entire closing ITT), but that was because he was sick a week before the Tour, this time it appears to be because his shape is lacking.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
GC:

1 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Team Garmin-Cervelo 13:58:25
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:01
3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:00:04
4 David Millar (GBr) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:00:08
5 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team RadioShack 0:00:10
6 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling
7 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky Procycling 0:00:12
8 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Procycling
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
10 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek
11 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:00:13
12 Peter Velits (Svk) HTC-Highroad
13 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) HTC-Highroad
14 Christopher Horner (USA) Team RadioShack 0:00:18
15 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team RadioShack
16 Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Team RadioShack
17 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:00:20
18 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana 0:00:32
19 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:00:33
20 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:00:39

Contador - 1:42

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
Today it looked like a lot easier than Mende tho. And it isn't really that he lost time that is the problem, but the way in which it happened. Even his brother could follow, while usually those two stick together. You saw Frank looking back a couple times to find his brother. Now would be the perfect time for Riis to start mindgames.

This was the most troubling thing. Hopefully his having a slow start. Or then Fränk for the win! :)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
EVANS OWNS TODAY!!!! What a photo finish!!!! evans showing people what a good puncheur he is. he has a great power diesel sprint too.
I LOLed at contador when i found out cadel won. he thought he got the win. BMC is having a magic tour. 2nd at stage 1, 2nd at stage 2 and 1st at stage 4. I would be pretty ****ed if evans got another 2nd. I actually thought so after seeing contadors celebration. I imagine many of you guys will be happy that you didnt get to see evans celebrate.;)

Trond Vidar said:
Thor just now: "there is nothing left now, I was really deep today." talked about being " in the basement". his target is to keep it until Saturday, and had the outmost desire to keep it today.

To follow myself up. New interview on TV2 with Atle Kvålsvoll, Thors personal trainer. Said that they had worked quite a bit on medium climbs the last two years, since the pure sprinters are a bit faster than him now. He also talked about the gearing Thor ran, which was quite heavy.
double the gearing of the purists
. Meaning that it cost Thor a ****load to stay with them.

But Andy Schleck normally is explosive as well. Not as much as Gilbert or brother Fränk, but still more explosive than most GC guys. And an ex-winner of LBL and always good in Amstel as well.

So I wouldn't expect him to finish this far behind. Andy did worse than non-explosive guys like Leipheimer, Martin and Gesink today

Dutchsmurf said:
Today it looked like a lot easier than Mende tho. And it isn't really that he lost time that is the problem, but the way in which it happened. Even his brother could follow, while usually those two stick together. You saw Frank looking back a couple times to find his brother. Now would be the perfect time for Riis to start mindgames.

There is no comparision, Mende is a climb I think they need to include in the Tour more often, its similiar to a Giro finish. Mende is 3 km at 10 and some change % average, this was about 8% for the first km and less then 3 the last km.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yeah, but at Mende he was only beaten one-on-one by Contador and Purito (I'm not counting Vino since he went before). This should be a lot more worrying for him.

Oh, I agree with you.
Lucky for him, it's Stage 4 and Pyrenees aren't till next Thursday.

Still, 8 seconds isn't much at all, it's really the fact that Alberto said to everyone that he's got good legs. That's what's worrying.

EDIT: And the fact that Thor finished ahead to me means Andy's not yet at Top Form. Still not a good excuse though.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
also not to forget what a great job BMC did bringing up to the front after the puncture. and a massive pull by veteran hincapie. this is just the warmup before ACF comes;)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
WHO'S YOUR DADDY MOTHER****ERS?!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

**** Yeah!

Go Cadel, brilliant. Into the headwind for the sprint and still wins.:)

brilliant!! started his sprint from way out. honestly I thought someone else was gonna win when they were on the hill. dont know what happened to gilbert today. wasnt that strong.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dlwssonic said:
also not to forget what a great job BMC did bringing up to the front after the puncture. and a massive pull by veteran hincapie. this is just the warmup before ACF comes;)

Exactly right! Marcus Burghardt and Hincapie were phenomonal.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
But Andy Schleck normally is explosive as well. Not as much as Gilbert or brother Fränk, but still more explosive than most GC guys. And an ex-winner of LBL and always good in Amstel as well.

So I wouldn't expect him to finish this far behind. Andy did worse than non-explosive guys like Leipheimer, Martin and Gesink today

yeah, Gesink has been crappy on a finish like this for the last 2 seasons, especially in stage races.

Schleck is pretty explosive.
But on a finish like this, it is over so quick, so one mistake or feeling bad for a slight moment can cost you.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yeah, but at Mende he was only beaten one-on-one by Contador and Purito (I'm not counting Vino since he went before). This should be a lot more worrying for him.

Did he even try? He just seemed to disappear. :confused:

Dekker_Tifosi said:

he's still waiting to peak :rolleyes:

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Nice finish!

I think 1:30 behind Andy is a good spot for Contador.

Evans looking great. I hope he can hold form and stay in the mix through the end of the Tour. His team looks decent too!

Very impressed with Hushovd. I like seeing somebody really fight to keep the jersey. Other than missing the split on day one, Garmin has been performing very well.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
Oh, I agree with you.
Lucky for him, it's Stage 4 and Pyrenees aren't till next Thursday.

Still, 8 seconds isn't much at all, it's really the fact that Alberto said to everyone that he's got good legs. That's what's worrying.

EDIT: And the fact that Thor finished ahead to me means Andy's not yet at Top Form. Still not a good excuse though.

Andy will abandon the Tour next Wednesday i bet!:p

May 27, 2010
Visit site
This has already been quite a successful tour for BMC and evans so that takes the pressure off them. Evans must be the favorite for super man sancy.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Cadel is an awesome punchy rider.

He would have won fleche again I reckon.

You know what Timmy, he would of done the triple this year.:D

No matter what happens from here on in, BMC have something to take out of the Tour. This great for team morale.

TRENDING THREADS