• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de La Provence 2020 (2.Pro) - February 13-16

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nairo is looking lean and mean. Looks like the move away from Movistar has done him good. It's early in the year, so maybe it's hard to speculate about the other riders. I wouldn't worry about Pinot here. He's looking decent, ready for continuing gains in form later on. Last year, maybe he came into the TDF peaking just a bit early(?) . . . Eddie Dunbar is impressive. Also, Sepp Kuss is looking much better early on than he usually does. Also, Vlasov has followed up his strong ride from yesterday with another good one today. Carthy is looking strong, too.

Great to see the Condor attack and not get chased down by his own teammates :p

As for Eddie he not only has promising skills but judging by interviews has the head and definitely the confidence to match

Apparently Pinot has been battling a stomach bug since Thursday, even surprising himself by finishing top-10 yesterday, explaining this sub-par performance to some degree
I would have thought he looked okay for this early in the year even if he wasn't sick. But if he was not feeling well, then he's performing well. I'm hoping he's feeling really good when it counts most, in July.

I'm not quite convinced, to be honest. I don't mean to rain on his parade, but let's look at the context. He took 1m28 on... Lutsenko, Carthy & Vlasov. In Februari.

This is not exactly vs Bernal, Roglic or Froome in July.
I don't think we are taking into consideration the competition anymore, but the times. Mountain is still the same whether is Pantani or Quintana.
I just don't think that the number 6.8 w/kg is right.

I'm not quite convinced, to be honest. I don't mean to rain on his parade, but let's look at the context. He took 1m28 on... Lutsenko, Carthy & Vlasov. In Februari.

This is not exactly vs Bernal, Roglic or Froome in July.
His raw numbers look insane, regardless of competition. 28:12 is quicker than anyone, ever. 6.8 w/kg, incredible. If this becomes his standard once more, he'll be a problem for anyone.

His raw numbers look insane, regardless of competition. 28:12 is quicker than anyone, ever. 6.8 w/kg, incredible. If this becomes his standard once more, he'll be a problem for anyone.
Faster than Pantani isn't standard for anyone since the 90's basically. Obviously an amazing performance, but I really doubt the W/kg calculations and I guess there must have been a big tailwind as well.

Faster than Pantani isn't standard for anyone since the 90's basically. Obviously an amazing performance, but I really doubt the W/kg calculations and I guess there must have been a big tailwind as well.
Of course, and the legendary time of Mayo isn't the best reference either since the finish was much higher up the Ventoux in '04. However, when compared to other ~ 30 minute efforts, this might be Nairo's best performance ever.

Who cares about the numbers when Vlasov, Lutsenko and Carthy only lose 1m28 on a 13k climb. Maybe Vlasov is peaking early, Lutsenko may want to be aiming for the classics, but Carthy certainly isn't and wants to go for GC in the Giro. That's some way off to be in top shape. And carthy isn't Bernal or even close.

For me, the circumstances don't exactly scream "new reference effort". But he does certainly look a lot more alive (as a competitor) than he's looked in a long time. I can see him in the mix come summer, but i won't assume he'll drop everyone just yet.

You make it sound like beating your closest competition by 1'30" is common feat.
No, i'm simply pointing out the closest competition is hardly worldclass (yet) and it's february. I can't imagine this effort would be enough to drop the entire GC competition come july. Which is what some people who are claiming it to be one of the all time greatest climbing efforts are somewhat insinuating it is. Things don't add up imho.

TRENDING THREADS