• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir 2015, August 22 - August 29

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Broccolidwarf said:
4 stages, danish riders:

1st
2nd
1st
1st

Pretty good :p
and as soon as they turn pro they suck. always the same story. they are treated like pro's at such young age they gain nothing as elite's similar to australian track riders

Just like Caleb Ewan today I guess :)

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Time flies, but I think I remember him doing the Bendigo Madison in 2012, which would make him about 18 at the time? He was still doing plenty of track that year, but certainly changed tack once Orica came knocking.

Re:

Spider1964 said:
Time flies, but I think I remember him doing the Bendigo Madison in 2012, which would make him about 18 at the time? He was still doing plenty of track that year, but certainly changed tack once Orica came knocking.
Yeah, 17/18. I assumed he'd done some track as a junior but didn't think he kept at it for long.

maltiv said:
Bushman said:
Baldinger said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Broccolidwarf said:
4 stages, danish riders:

1st
2nd
1st
1st

and as soon as they turn pro they suck. always the same story. they are treated like pro's at such young age they gain nothing as elite's similar to australian track riders

In the past many years young Danish riders suffered from being boring allrounders only capable of winning from a breakaway (Anders Lund, Mads Christensen, Jonas Aaen ect). These guys looks more like the real deal. But there are some truth to your statement I guess.

There was in the past, yes. But from what I have heard the Danish Cycling Federation has been quite concerned with securing that young riders don't train too much early on and instead gradually increase the amount of training from year to year. In a couple of years we will see if it has had an effect. I dont believe that guys like Cort, Kragh and Mads Pedersen will fade away in the next couple of years.
That's just the opposite of what Kristoff's trainer, Stein Ørn, is doing. He has always said that his philosophy is to have the riders train hard at a young age (too hard to get great results) for the long term benefits, instead of focusing on reaching peak form when they're young.

Interesting that there's two completely opposite perceptions on the matter.

Actually that is quite interesting.

I think the idea of the Danish federation is that in the past many riders who had been very good in juniors and u23 couldnt make the jump to pros because they had already been training as much as the pros, thus they didn't have a lot of room for improvement.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

maltiv said:
That's just the opposite of what Kristoff's trainer, Stein Ørn, is doing. He has always said that his philosophy is to have the riders train hard at a young age (too hard to get great results) for the long term benefits, instead of focusing on reaching peak form when they're young.

Interesting that there's two completely opposite perceptions on the matter.
One thing they have in common is that they're not focusing on u23 results but on the long term. My gut feeling says that the (new) Danish model is preferable. Since Kristoff is a true beast, he might have benefited from the hard training. I can imagine though that not anybody can survive such an approach.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Spider1964 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Broccolidwarf said:
4 stages, danish riders:

1st
2nd
1st
1st

yeah he rode massively on track in the past :eek:

So, so much for the danish domination. Field hits the mountains and Im still starving for the next Rasmussen.

Oh well, I guess I just should applaud them for what they have done so far like a normal danish cycling fan, but I badly wants climbers. Søren Kragh is the real deal tho.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So, so much for the danish domination. Field hits the mountains and Im still starving for the next Rasmussen.

Oh well, I guess I just should applaud them for what they have done so far like a normal danish cycling fan, but I badly wants climbers. Søren Kragh is the real deal tho.

Würtz as well.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

That's like expecting Cancellara to win Alpe D'Huez, instead of Paris-Roubaix..... you cannot expect riders to do well in terrain that doesn't suit them.... and the danish team has surely maximized their potential this tour already :)

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site

Ryo Hazuki said:
Spider1964 said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Broccolidwarf said:
4 stages, danish riders:

1st
2nd
1st
1st

yeah he rode massively on track in the past :eek:

Yeah he did :eek: His background is track... was quick and did heaps with NSWIS as a junior. And, as I said, then Orica came knocking. You don't have to do too much digging to know this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Ewan

Track
1st Jersey rainbow World Junior Omnium Championships
National Junior Championships
1st MaillotAustralia Omnium
1st MaillotAustralia Points race
1st MaillotAustralia Madison
2nd Team pursuit
3rd Scratch race
National Junior Championships
2nd Madison
2nd Points race