• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Luxembourg June 2nd - 6th

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Dominik Klemme was DNF on Friday, no reason given. So Saxo Bank has only 4 riders left in the race.

Susan

Yup, 1 leader - Fränk Schleck - and three domestiques: Kasper Klostergaard, Laurent Didier (who's been doing really, really well in his first season as a pro if I may say so) and Jens Voigt (who might count as 2 domestiques).

Christian said:
Yup, 1 leader - Fränk Schleck - and three domestiques: Kasper Klostergaard, Laurent Didier (who's been doing really, really well in his first season as a pro if I may say so) and Jens Voigt (who might count as 2 domestiques).

Well... he sometimes have arguments with his body... :p and he definitely has the energy of two people...:cool:

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Well... he sometimes have arguments with his body... :p and he definitely has the energy of two people...:cool:

.... and almost the age of two! [Jensi wanted to register himself as a team for a race Saxo could not make until he found out there had to be a minumum of more than one member - 4 is probaly too many!]:D

A

Anonymous

Results final stage

1. Gorka Izaguirre (Euskaltel Euskadi)
2. Serguei Ivanov (Katusha)
3. Matteo Carrara (Vacansoleil)
4. Steve Houanard (Skil-Shimano)
5. Jimmy Engoulvent (Sojasun-Saur)

Final overall classification

1. Matteo Carrara (Vacansoleil)
2. Frank Schleck (Saxo Bank) 0'07
3. Serguei Ivanov (Katusha) 0'34
4. Juan Antonio Flecha (Sky) 0'40
5. Björn Leukemans (Vacansoleil) 0'41

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
just off procycling live twitter:

We just heard the jury didn't count stage 4 in GC. The top 3 remains: 1. Carrara (VAC) 2. F. Schleck (SAX) 3. Armstrong (RSH)

That's really crap from the organization, in my opinion

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
That's really crap from the organization, in my opinion

Neutralizing GC time on a stage with weather issues doens't bother me... but deciding to do it after the fact always has. If they communicated the issues to the DS's during the stage and said that it's going to be neutralized... I'm okay with it. If they waited until after it was all over and saw that Lance lost time and said "wait... we're not counting this one"... then I agree with you.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
So the guys that took risks or rode hard to get themselves into contention had their results from today taken away. If they're going to neutralize the stage, it should have been done before the finish, not after. This way just makes cycling look yet again like the WWF. Did somebody pay for the results??? What a BS move by the organizers.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
So the guys that took risks or rode hard to get themselves into contention had their results from today taken away. If they're going to neutralize the stage, it should have been done before the finish, not after. This way just makes cycling look yet again like the WWF. Did somebody pay for the results??? What a BS move by the organizers.

+1
exactly...

peloton said:
+1
exactly...

Let's forget the 3 minutes.

The 38-year-old shook off the incident and said he was pleased with his efforts on the road. "It's been a good four days. I felt strong. Any time you can win a race, be on a podium, in preparation, it's important. I wouldn't have thought I would ride so strong this week."

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Neutralizing GC time on a stage with weather issues doens't bother me... but deciding to do it after the fact always has. If they communicated the issues to the DS's during the stage and said that it's going to be neutralized... I'm okay with it. If they waited until after it was all over and saw that Lance lost time and said "wait... we're not counting this one"... then I agree with you.

Well the way it seems to have went is that they retroactively changed it, with the fact that GC times were already coming in, before this. This was also the reason I thought it was pretty strange and disrespectful from the organisers. Does anyone know how it went, or has gotten some confirmation?

BTW I don't really believe the thing that it would be concerning Lance, but there were probably other considerations? At least I hope and would imagine this to be so

Allright just found on the site from Vacansoleil:

De kopgroep van zes werd 40km voor de finish door het peloton ingerekend. Nadat er vervolgens noodweer boven Luxemburg losbarstte besloot de jury de etappe in te korten en na vier van de vijf lokale ronden klokte de jury de eindtijd van alle renners. Er restte nog één plaatselijke ronde van 8km waarin drie renners de aanval kozen. Leider Carrara gaf zijn eindzege extra glans door, ondanks dat de eindwinst binnen was, naar de leiders toe te springen en mee te sprinten om de ritzege. Gorka Izaguirre won de etappe en Carrara eindigde als derde.

Just before the time was clocked the entire peloton was together and it was known that that would be the time, it was at the final round before the race would finish. In the final round some riders attacked to win the stage mainly and not for the time gaps in the GC, because it was already known that there would be none

Barrus said:
Just before the time was clocked the entire peloton was together and it was known that that would be the time, it was at the final round before the race would finish. In the final round some riders attacked to win the stage mainly and not for the time gaps in the GC, because it was already known that there would be none

So it's all fine then, this was a decision taking the riders best interest in mind. But of course all the Lance/Radioshack haters are going to claim it was a influenced and bad decision.