• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour du Rwanda 2024, February 18-25

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A WT team is able to send a team to a .1 race, but don't use your academy team and insert a WT rider. So in other words QS sends a WT team. For example Israel is sending Van Asbroeck and Hofsterrer to ride for the Development team in Le Samyn
He is riding with the WT team. We will reach the height of absurdity if Jonas rides for the development team.
So send the actual WT team.
This is utter BS. Your argument was that he was "too good". So you admit he isn't too good, just that you want to split hairs about a young rider riding for the devo squad instead of the WT squad, even though BOTH are allowed to start. So now you're arguing sending a full all star WT squad with Evenepoel or Roglic or Pogacar and their A-team is not a problem (not "too good"), but when a neopro comes with devo riders in support, it is a problem... because reasons.

Who are you exactly trying to protect or playing knight in shining armour for? The organization? I'm sure they'll take any WT rider they can get - be it as part of the WT or devo team. So i'm sure they would find your chivalry misplaced. Are you doing this for other "lesser" riders in the race? Because you just admitted it would not be a problem if Lecerf came here with the WT team, so that would make it far worse for lesser rivals if that was the argument you wanted to make. It's also not doing the better (WT) riders any good, because them being here means it fits best in their preparation, they otherwise wouldn't be here, trust me. Or are you doing this for the devo riders? Because if they were to field the WT team here (like you say they should have done) then you are simply taking away a good opportunity for those riders to show themselves and gain experience.

So who exactly would benefit from things when you would get your way? Maybe you should start thinking about what your argument is exactly and what it is you want to achieve by changing things, because so far i'm not seeing anyone benefit from your proposition.

This is utter BS. Your argument was that he was "too good". So you admit he isn't too good, just that you want to split hairs about a young rider riding for the devo squad instead of the WT squad, even though BOTH are allowed to start.
they could actually send exactly the same team as now, according to UCI rules.

As mentioned before, I'm not much of a fan of this rule either, but there's not much point in complaining about Lecerf starting for the devo team indeed, when the rules would allow Quickstep to also send a WT team of Lecerc and four devo guys anyway.

A WT team is able to send a team to a .1 race, but don't use your academy team and insert a WT rider. So in other words QS sends a WT team. For example Israel is sending Van Asbroeck and Hofsterrer to ride for the Development team in Le Samyn
Why not? Are you concerned about the race (I have never heard of a race organisation complaining that the riders signing up for it are too good), about the rider who is 'stepping down' (teams have no vested interest in upsetting their riders, and on the whole this happens for experience, recovery from injury, or other specific circumstances), or the team that they are temporarily joining (because having a realistic goal to work for as a team is a terrible thing, riders must never gain experience of being a domestique for a potential leader)?

I thought the max was 2 riders per team per race stepping either up or down...
only two can step down, but in the other direction it's four. So in a race like this (with 5 or 6 starters only) both can line up exactly the same team:

95Cq8ST.png

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Why not? Are you concerned about the race (I have never heard of a race organisation complaining that the riders signing up for it are too good), about the rider who is 'stepping down' (teams have no vested interest in upsetting their riders, and on the whole this happens for experience, recovery from injury, or other specific circumstances), or the team that they are temporarily joining (because having a realistic goal to work for as a team is a terrible thing, riders must never gain experience of being a domestique for a potential leader)?

It's even worse on the women's side. At times it's hard to determine if it's the WT team or the Conti team on the startline. I have no issue with development riders going up to the WT team as it's like an unofficial stagiare period and also helps teams who have multiple injuries illness or illnesses.

Latest posts