• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Slovenia 2021, June 9 - June 13

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm sure he wanted to show some love to the hometown fans but it really would have been more interesting if he'd have gone to one of the other prep races. This field is just not good outside of UAE and this result feels as pre-ordained as one of the post-Tour criteriums.

So many unknowns for the Tour.

We have no idea where Pogacar is, because this race has no real competition for him.
We have no idea where Roglic is, because stage 1 will be his first start in over 2 months.
We have no idea if Alaphilippe has lost some of his punch, because he has prepared for riding GC.
We have no idea who Ineos is riding for or if any of them can beat the Slovenians.

Only 79 of 136 finished riders were inside time limit lol. The UCI decided to extend the time limit so that the riders don't get booted. I don't even know what the guys behind were doing, it's not like this was a multiple mountain alpine stage or something.

E3hyBFHVgAcO7xC

So many unknowns for the Tour.

We have no idea where Pogacar is, because this race has no real competition for him.
Just watched the last 10k or so. He did seem really happy to win, even if it wasn't all that hard for him. And Mohoric was second, given Bahrain's form, of course he was second...

But I think there's no real reason for him to go too deep right now. He'll have done the hard miles in training already.

You can check his Strava file and you see quickly that he is in bombastic shape. 15 minutes over 1800 vam in average, that is more than 6,8 w/kg, because there was some rain, wind, the road surface very bad. He would destroy any field existing. Ok, maybe Roglič could do sth. Really happy for Mohorič, he deserves podiums and wins. Hopefully he does win stage in Tour in July. Or already in June, why not..

Reactions: Sandisfan
You can check his Strava file and you see quickly that he is in bombastic shape. 15 minutes over 1800 vam in average, that is more than 6,8 w/kg, because there was some rain, wind, the road surface very bad. He would destroy any field existing. Ok, maybe Roglič could do sth. Really happy for Mohorič, he deserves podiums and wins. Hopefully he does win stage in Tour in July. Or already in June, why not..

Obviously 1800+ VAM is a world-class level but it lasted just 12 minutes: one can go above AnT for such a short effort (though I doubt Pogacar went much into the red knowing that it's not the end of the stage). His climbing speed there was a bit below Peyresourde level (and 2x shorter effort). Not sure how you incorporated rain and surface quality into the equation as well: without including them he was at 6.5 w/kg but 6.8 w/kg is monstrous (and would be even a bit better than his second half of Peyresourde).

Last edited:

I can see him (or Roglic) winning in Mur de Bretagne although Alaphilippe is the top favourite there. More important than that could actually be the seconds gained on other GC contenders.

Obviously 1800+ VAM is a world-class level but it lasted just 12 minutes: one can go above AnT for such a short effort (though I doubt Pogacar went much into the red knowing that it's not the end of the stage). His climbing speed there was a bit below Peyresourde level (and 2x shorter effort). Not sure how you incorporated rain and surface quality into the equation as well: without including them he was at 6.5 w/kg but 6.8 w/kg is monstrous (and would be even a bit better than his second half of Peyresourde).
It's also 1000m lower than the Peyresourde.

No doubt it's good numbers from Pogi. But it's a pretty lol competition, it's all just vibes and we'll see during the Tour.

Unless he wants to channel 2017 Croatia Nibali and win the race on intermediate sprints.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
Strava altitude data is not credible very often, so the VAM values should be also used very carefully. I'm no saying it's totally useless, but the estimation could be just a little less accurate beacause of that. ;)

TRENDING THREADS