• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

5j8yMgWw_400x400.jpg

FyR4-sgacAAWbFm

More hot racing this year. Last two editions were won by Pogacar. This year because of the broken wrist he will not participate. But that opens the up to some actual competition!

Notable GC mentions: Ulissi, Fortunato, Mohoric, Zanna, Wellens
Notable sprinters: Groenewegen, Molano, Bauhaus, Moschetti, Govekar

Live coverage: Eurosport/GCN+ will be covering the race.

xW2fNIW.png

ZrUZIUo.png

PS: Last year's winner also Pogacar.

yKrfJby.png

Full startlist:

Well that's a pretty low quality field

Ideally there should be more big names. But it just shows that this would've been a cakewalk for Pog and at least it opens up the race without him here. Last year it was just Pog and Majka winning hand in hand. This year they have Ulissi and Wellens, who is coming back from injury. So no guarantee they will win the GC.

ZLM has always been an awful ****race that only benefits from teams scared of relegation.
My point is that both ZLM and (to a lesser extent) this should never have been allowed to become a .Pro race.

Edit: and the same goes for the Ventoux one-day race, which is equally doomed to terrible fields in its current slot. Too many races trying to attract some of those stars doing their final Tour prep.

Last edited:
ZLM has always been an awful ****race that only benefits from teams scared of relegation.

Like Jumbo? There were 0 teams actually there because of relegation stuff. DSM is a dutch team, they benefitted way too much from it obviously (more than 400 points which is ridiculous) but they would always be there. Jumbo and Alpecin have nothing to do with relegation, so maybe only Astana.

It's an awful race because it has an awful parcours and mainly cause it overlaps with Dauphiné, Suisse and Belgian races. Then there's also Slovenia and Occitanie the week after. In the past it was actually quite decent with the Gileppe stage and more good teams there cause Belgium Tour was at the end of May.

Just too many race at the same time. A race like ZLM should simply be downgraded to .1 honestly. Their field does not warrant that many points at all. Slovenia neither honestly but atleast it had a good UAE team the past few years.

Honestly. June should just have lesser races. Let the Giro guys rest (instead of using for points indeed), and let the Tour guys prep in the same races so we atleast get some good riders battling it out.

Edit: and the same goes for the Ventoux one-day race, which is equally doomed to terrible fields in its current slot. Too many races trying to attract some of those stars doing their final Tour prep

Why did they make that race .Pro. I honestly don't get it. As if France doesn't have enough races to score easy points in lmao. And if you want one of those high mountain one day races to go .Pro let Mercan Tour have it, atleast they have a slightly better spot on the calendar indeed. It might get some extra teams interested. But Ventoux is simply impossible. Not even the French teams send good riders cause they just did Dauphiné and need rest for the Tour.

Last edited:
Like Jumbo? There were 0 teams actually there because of relegation stuff. DSM is a dutch team, they benefitted way too much from it obviously (more than 400 points which is ridiculous) but they would always be there. Jumbo and Alpecin have nothing to do with relegation, so maybe only Astana.

It's an awful race because it has an awful parcours and mainly cause it overlaps with Dauphiné, Suisse and Belgian races. Then there's also Slovenia and Occitanie the week after. In the past it was actually quite decent with the Gileppe stage and more good teams there cause Belgium Tour was at the end of May.

Just too many race at the same time. A race like ZLM should simply be downgraded to .1 honestly. Their field does not warrant that many points at all. Slovenia neither honestly but atleast it had a good UAE team the past few years.

Honestly. June should just have lesser races. Let the Giro guys rest (instead of using for points indeed), and let the Tour guys prep in the same races so we atleast get some good riders battling it out.
And before that you had Lampre, Bahrain and sometimes even Bora (with Majka), Sunweb and Orica sending good riders to Slovenia. Usually the field is clearly stronger than this year.

Reactions: Lui98
Tour de France - Tim Wellens: "I hope to be on the Tour, but..."

"It's all going as planned, but I still have to be a little careful. I'd better not fall to the left side anymore and I can only put about 80 to 90 percent weight on my clavicle. According to the doctor, this may take up to a year for the bone to heal completely. But I guess I'll be able to do it all over again soon."

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
My point is that both ZLM and (to a lesser extent) this should never have been allowed to become a .Pro race.

Edit: and the same goes for the Ventoux one-day race, which is equally doomed to terrible fields in its current slot. Too many races trying to attract some of those stars doing their final Tour prep.
I disagree with regards to Ventoux as that is a race that should be given far greater star treatment and more world tour teams should be sending top class climbers there after the Dauphine to showcase their pre-tour climbing legs.

Reactions: Lexman