• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of the Alps 2021 (April 19th-23rd)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What are you keeping your eye on during the Tour of the Alps?

• who's going to win

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • a youngster or outsider the thread-starter didn't even know existed

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • the scenery

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • who's in form for the Giro

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • whether Anton Palzer is the new LeMond

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • whether Bernal's back is good

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • whether Pinot's back is good

• whether Hindley will have to wait for Bardet when he's in for a podium

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • whether Hindley will have to put on a rain jacket

• your girl/boyfriend/Netflix

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Froome should supposedly have one job in this race: work for Dan Martin.

He's not exactly doing very well in that regard. I get the impression some "fans" ask for special dispensation from critique with regards to his performances, i.e. because he was injured or whatnot.

All I see is a very sad sight to be honest, i.e. a GT multi-winner rolling around like a continental pro rider. The poster above is right about one thing: he's a multi-millionaire. So why publicly aim so high (Tour de France 2021, which is his de-facto stated ambition) when he's totally incapable of delivering anywhere near that promise? He could have just sailed into the sunset (or taken a lesser contract with lesser goals just for the joy of racing) but nope, it's apparently all about getting in shape for a fifth Tour.

Is it funny or sad? Champions should know when enough is enough.

1. Who says Chris Froome isnt working for Dan Martin. He is allowed to go int he break as per other riders in the break today and everyday
  2. I dont see it as sad that Froome is continuing to race . Sad is death and other stuff. This is someone doing what they have always done and want to continue to do it...nothing sad in that.
  3. No one said he should be immune comment or indeed have special dispensations, I am not a particular fan. Just prefer if people were less gleeful about his current fall from grace

With tomorrow's stage Ineos can right the ship. It is perfect for a team attack. It is a pity that they Dani Martinez kept losing time because it would have been the perfect bait.
I don't get why the are sending him to the Giro when he has a well documented history of underperforming during that part of the season because of allergies. EF talked about it and even back when he rode for Scinto they said the same.

Reactions: Sandisfan
In a podcast that I was watching they were taking about Dani Martinez doing a Soler. I missed that. I frankly didn't see him doing that. I thought he tried to be a good soldier to get back to help his leader Sivakov. In fact Sivakov told him to go ahead but he still stayed with him until the end.
Did I miss something?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't get why the are sending him to the Giro when he has a well documented history of underperforming during that part of the season because of allergies. EF talked about it and even back when he rode for Scinto they said the same.
Perhaps he wouldn't quite make the Ineos team for TdF if everyone was healthy and just imagine Ineos buying out EF's best GT prospect out of contract early only to send him to the Vuelta as his only GT. :p

TRENDING THREADS