• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Track star to GT hero

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
He is skinny, thin ankles [=climbing proneness], bit like Zulle, with the right training he can learn to climb to a level where he can kill everyone off in the time trials. Otherwise, a great Paris Roubaix winner for the future.

Agree. He's PR material and maybe Flanders. He'll be a great one day rider. He doesn't have Andy Shleck abilities like Andy did at 22 going up the mountains.

simo1733 said:
Any future British GT contender will almost certainly be an ex track rider.Likewise any Australian.This wasn't always the case.

In Australia the seasons are in reverse. Track was in the summer so grew very big because it became a family sport whereby the road season was in winter and competed with Australian Rules/Rugby.

That's different now whereby national junior road riders like in the UK are stationed in the Europe and in their summer.

Still track riders don't become GT riders. What you present explains nothing about the phenomenon that occurred with Wiggins.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Anyone in the last 40 years?

Moser, yes. Agreed. Blood doper though. One of the first to blood dope mind you.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT! Irrelevant to his GT prowess.

The clinic has already established that blood doping was not possible in the 80's for GT's.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It was nice to see a Brit win the Tour, not a big fan but definately something to be happy about but as we question everything these days so this merits questioning also so carry on..

One wee point there's a first time for everything.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
On a subject that has already been done to death on the Sky thread.

Next time, hoggie, make it a little less obvious

wink-happy-13.jpg

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
ultimobici said:
So Boardman was the first World-class track is from Britain? Reg Harris, Hugh Porter, Tony Doyle & Colin Sturgess never existed? Nor their 11 world track titles, 7 of which were in the individual pursuit?

Over a 25 year period British riders won almost a third if the pursuit golds before Boardman's 1992 win

No totally agree with those world class riders from the UK track. But Boardman's Olympics ride was the start of the lottery funded rise of track in the UK. Therefore it's no suprise to now see "Track riders" from the UK migrating to the road side.
Many of the previous British road Pros from the 80's and 90's, if riding now may well have gone through the track system rather than the tough amateur French, Belgian etc road scene.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
TheGame said:
Because the world needed another Sky thread that the same five people can participate in :D

Yep. This was all discussed at great length in the "Sky" thread, near the start. Of course it had not yet been discussed in a thread started by thehog, so that had to be sorted ;)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
xcleigh said:
No totally agree with those world class riders from the UK track. But Boardman's Olympics ride was the start of the lottery funded rise of track in the UK. Therefore it's no suprise to now see "Track riders" from the UK migrating to the road side.
Many of the previous British road Pros from the 80's and 90's, if riding now may well have gone through the track system rather than the tough amateur French, Belgian etc road scene.

Wrong. Lottery funding came in after Peter Keen & Boardman's success in Barcelona. The British lottery wasn't even in existence until almost 2 years after that gold medal ride. It merely served as the template for Keen's work later on with British Cycling.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Wrong. Lottery funding came in after Peter Keen & Boardman's success in Barcelona. The British lottery wasn't even in existence until almost 2 years after that gold medal ride. It merely served as the template for Keen's work later on with British Cycling.

I totally agree, I didn't say Boardman was lottery funded but it was I think the catalyst.

Parker said:

That they were. Thank-you.

Moser we can discount for his blood doping. The others are all pre-60's.

So in 50-60 years no one has got close.

Not even Dean Woods.

It's still a massive phenomenon in my eyes. Extremely unusual. Not a given to go from 4000m to GT winner.

Interesting data though.

It could've suggested that anyone pre 60's was going to be good at all forms of cycling like those you mention.

Certainly no one in the modern era has achieved this feat. Well except for Berzin :rolleyes:

Siriuscat said:
It was nice to see a Brit win the Tour, not a big fan but definately something to be happy about but as we question everything these days so this merits questioning also so carry on..

One wee point there's a first time for everything.

True. There is a first time for everything. Possible but not probable in the modern era. In fact statistically almost impossible.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
xcleigh said:
I totally agree, I didn't say Boardman was lottery funded but it was I think the catalyst.

No doubt about it.That was the start of British track cycling entering the modern era.I remember the GB pusuit team all had different bikes while the Germans were on FES carbon.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Doesn't look a natural or normal progression at all. It actually looks like a "off the charts" phenomena.

It's unexplainable.

thehog said:
In fact statistically almost impossible.

So you have guys like Coppi, Altig, Moser, Berzin, McGee, Wiggins plus some non-climbers (Ekimov, Boardman, Bobridge ... ) and you throw out words like phenomena and statistically almost impossible :confused:

This has got to be a wind-up? I don't usually comment but as a student of maths I feel a tad annoyed by this thread.

There's a lot of suspicious things about Wiggins but this isn't one of them.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
xcleigh said:

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
In fact statistically almost impossible.

'In fact', eh?

Is it. Is it really? Care to give us your statistical calculations?

I'm really good at statistics. Would love to see the Maths behind your conclusion.

TRENDING THREADS