• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Independent Commission on 'Lance-Gate'

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
keeponrollin said:
I disagree; I think Phat has just player a master stroke, stroke in the Irish context !

By rolling up the IC, which was getting a bit nosey, & pretending he wants a T&R project, he has blocked the IC from any access to the dirt we all believe is just waiting to be uncovered, & he has moved everything down pass the next election.

More than that; what exactly is the T&R going to offer anyone, which would encourage them to participate ???

Sure they get a pass on any ban from the UCI & other sports bodies like WADA; but in the overwhelming number of cases, this will matter SFA when weighed against the Criminal & Civil Action consequences of these actions, & I doubt the French Police will give a monkeys about a letter from Phat when there are riders & team managers admitting to massive wholesale breaches of French law. Who is going to avail of missing a 6 month ban, by putting themselves in the frame for maybe a couple of years inside ?

Phat of course knows this; so he sets up a T&R body, & then either no-one offers evidence, & he says this proves that LA was the only rotten apple; or better yet, the T&R gets legal advice pointing out how they can do nothing about providing immunity from Legal actions, so its a busted flush.

Those reading my petitions will note that , i called for the Governments of Countries , with " Anti Doping Penalties , to set ASIDE their Legislative Penalties , During the " AMNESTY WINDOW "!

Written to Tracey Gaudry , see this in http://www.skippyaus.blogspot.com

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
the Commission remains concerned as to WADA’s and the UCI’s ability to agree the scope, timing and structure of the TRC and also whether the T&R process is sufficiently advanced to justify the UCI’s termination of this Inquiry.

Pat McQuaid stated that the UCI “will co-operate fully with the Commission and provide them with whatever they need to conduct their inquiry” and urged “all other interested stakeholders to do the same”. Neither the UCI nor interested stakeholders have provided sufficient co-operation to enable the Commission to do its job. This failure to cooperate makes our task impossible.

http://www.uciic.org/press-release-29-january-2013/

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Intersting bit

From the transcripts on Jan 25.

http://www.uciic.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Transcript-of-Procedural-Hearing-25-January1.pdf

Mr. Mill is the UCI lawyer.

I think clarifies why the UCI wants dictate the terms of any amnesty program.

"MR HOLMES: I think we're talking about employees and former employees of UCI, or those persons who may have entered presently feel constrained from coming forward because of the position and the power that UCI holds over them.

MR MILL: Sorry, I had understood we were talking about participants in the sport.

THE CHAIRMAN: That was my fault.

MR HOLMES: No, we are talking in a wider sense, a different category of persons. Employees of UCI, present employees and former employees of UCI, who have knowledge of information relevant to this Commission, but who stand in jeopardy because of a potential breach of fiduciary obligations or –

MR MILL: Breach of confidence or breach of fiduciary obligation?

MR HOLMES: They may be former officers of your client, and they may have obligations. Why can't your client say, if there's a whistleblower, or somebody within UCI who wants to come forward, we will not take any action against them, and we release persons with whom we have confidentiality agreements?

MR MILL: We might well be able to. I'm not sure we have been specifically asked that question.

MR HOLMES: I think if you look in the correspondence from the Commission's solicitors,that has been asked."

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
tank2vich said:
MR HOLMES: They may be former officers of your client, and they may have obligations. Why can't your client say, if there's a whistleblower, or somebody within UCI who wants to come forward, we will not take any action against them, and we release persons with whom we have confidentiality agreements?

This was a key concern.

MarkvW said:
I may have to reappraise my opinion that pro cycling is a filthy cesspool. It's starting to look even worse than that.

NOW you are getting the picture!!!!

I was catching up on some reading last night and ran across the story of the Turkish Weight Lifting federation resigning because a number of their athletes had positives at a competition.

Weight Lifting might have more credibility than cycling. http://www.mail.com/int/sports/other/1845646-turkish-weightlifting-chiefs-resign-doping.html

To put that story in contrast, U.S. cycling had a decade+ of doping false-negatives. Cycling's most well known race has had maybe two clean-ish winners in the last 10 years?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
I may have to reappraise my opinion that pro cycling is a filthy cesspool. It's starting to look even worse than that.
let's say at the top it's certainly worse than rotten. below that it's just another peloton.