• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Unbelievable doping excuses

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
There was an Australian pentathlete at the Seoul olympics that tested positive for caffeine duuring the fencing section of competition. He claimed his drink was spiked - he had the equivalent of 40 strong coffees in his system.

I also recall the opposite of this claim, an Australian female marathon runner was doing really well and then it all fell apart with about 5 km to go. She claimed her drink at the drink station had been spiked by a competitor. Given she was a past world champion, its almost (but not entirely really) believable...

Martin318is said:
There was an Australian pentathlete at the Seoul olympics that tested positive for caffeine duuring the fencing section of competition. He claimed his drink was spiked - he had the equivalent of 40 strong coffees in his system.

I also recall the opposite of this claim, an Australian female marathon runner was doing really well and then it all fell apart with about 5 km to go. She claimed her drink at the drink station had been spiked by a competitor. Given she was a past world champion, its almost (but not entirely really) believable...

Lisa Ondieki nee Martin.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
python said:
my favourite is when a biochemistry major professional cyclist in just several months after hamilton failed the same drug, says 'i never heard of it before'.

no, it's not funny to my ilk.

First off, Zirbel's degree is in Chemistry, not Biochemistry.

Second, He DID NOT say "I never heard of it before"--what he DID say was "I did not know what it was"--as in: He needed to research DHEA to understand what the USADA test results meant. None of us give a very good accounting without doing some research first.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:

Similar thing happened to Gianni Bugno. The levels of caffeine were something like 20 cups of espresso.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
Similar thing happened to Gianni Bugno. The levels of caffeine were something like 20 cups of espresso.

Seems like you would notice when your resting heart rate is 110, before you get notice of a failed test.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:

Big deal. DZ and Landis drank 20 cappucini each one day in Spain. Off-season. Not to dope, but because it was raining and they were bored.

42x16ss said:
I'd be scared to ever drink coffee again after that!!!

I knew this guy who was recovering from a 16-espresso-per-day caffeine 'problem'. It was this easy: he'd bought a machine, installed it in his office and he just kept on hitting that button. ;)

So he tells me this one day over a cup of tea and I laugh. But his face suddenly comes over all dark like a summer afternoon out in the fields.

And he says: "Things are much better now - my wife came back, for example - but I'm still urinating blood". :eek:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
I knew this guy who was recovering from a 16-espresso-per-day caffeine 'problem'. It was this easy: he'd bought a machine, installed it in his office and he just kept on hitting that button. ;)

So he tells me this one day over a cup of tea and I laugh. But his face suddenly comes over all dark like a summer afternoon out in the fields.

And he says: "Things are much better now - my wife came back, for example - but I'm still urinating blood". :eek:

I'm sure you're aware of the saying: Too Much Information. That applies to the story your work mate told you.

brianf7 said:
Jesús Rosendo Prado has managed to come up with an excuse for doping that I have not heard before: Haemorrhoids.

Guys this is a horrible way to go imagin if you have to suffer that much pain on top of what it takes to get over the line.

Anyone remember the rider in the TdF a number of years ago who cut out a chunk of his saddle to give some relief to a huge saddle sore on his buttock. Not sure if he finished that tour or not, but he rode through a lot of additional pain.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Not just that. His hemoglobin and hematocrit were very low. He would have had to have lost enough blood to make his blood values look suspicious. That probably means more than 500 ml. That is a lot of blood to bleed. He would have freaked out and gone straight to the nearest hospital.
imagine what his chamois must have looked like:eek:

Reminds me of Vino's claim that he fell and landed on blood from some other rider's crash:

Fatima Yvelain is a regional-level distance runner in France. I suspect you had not heard of her until now but she enters history with one of the best ever excuses for a positive doping test.

Following a positive test for EPO after a half-marathon, she claimed heavy rainfall on the day of race had caused water to stream over hidden medical waste somewhere near the course. As she ran, the EPO-laced rainwater splashed onto her shorts, thus contaminating her urine when she later provided a sample at the doping control.

Needless athletics website VO2.fr reports the French Athletics Federation didn’t believe a word. She is banned for two years.

Actually, she could have been running near where a certain team's trailer had been parked earlier. :)

http://inrng.tumblr.com/post/29472905178/itsrainingepo

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
Yes, but come on, that's semi-believable by this thread's standards. Contaminated EPO rain!!!

I have resisted the temptation to embed the Rasmussen photo. This do you seriously expect me to believe that this man had two women on the go at once? I'd say it was more likely that my grandmother was on EPO.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
Ah, the old "I ate Chinese food" excuse. :rolleyes:

wasn't the contaminated meat from china not also used by a german top ping pong player? can't remember his name though, but iirc he was cleared of doping charges.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Re:

brianf7 said:
BroDeal said:
Jesús Rosendo Prado has managed to come up with an excuse for doping that I have not heard before: Haemorrhoids. Not quite as good as saying that your stash of dope was for your mother-in-law or your dog but still pretty good.

We need a list of the best excuses.

Have you ever had a dose of piles?? not nice.

Very easy to get rid of!!

TRENDING THREADS