• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Usain Bolt/Carl Lewis

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
D-Queued said:
You Know Who's only test by Don Catlin had a T:E ratio of 4. Guess that was confirmation of 'clean'.

Sure be nice to see Usain Bolt publish some test data for us to prove his cleanliness.

Dave.

I'm guessing here........it would probably be something like 4:1 or maybe just a bit under. ;)

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012...wis-for-criticizing-jamaicas-doping-controls/

Carl Lewis, I have no respect for him,” Bolt said. “The things he says about the track athletes is really downgrading for another athlete to say something like that. I think he’s just looking for attention, really, because nobody really talks much about him.
Talking about drugs. For me, an athlete out of the sport to be saying that. That was really upsetting for me. Really upsetting.

“To jump up and say something like that. As far as I’m concerned he’s looking for attention. That’s all.”
Bolt had already dealt with one question about doping when he was asked Thursday if he could guarantee that Jamaican sprinters who swept the top three spots in the 200 – were clean.

“Without a doubt,” Bolt said, sitting in between silver medallist Yohan Blake and bronze winner Warren Weir. “We train really hard.

So attack a person as an attention seeker who is out for himself and not the good of athletics. Be really upset and put it down to just hard work.
It seems I have heard this type of defence somewhere before.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:
"...For example, let’s assume that a talented NCAA sprinter has a testosterone ratio (testosterone: epitestosterone) of 1:1 which is considered normal, or average. The current WADA guidelines permit a ratio of up to 4:1.
Dave.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the case they can show in tests if the testosterone is humanly 'made' or artificial enhanced?

If not it is also a case of staying between the parameters like the Bio Pass.

Nice interview with Bolt, the man is just THA LEGEND MANNN ;)

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the case they can show in tests if the testosterone is humanly 'made' or artificial enhanced?

Yes; this was one of FLandis' downfalls, the presence of exogenous testosterone in his urine sample. However, a better question may be whether or not they test to determine if the testosterone is endogenous or exogenous if the T/E ratio is below the threshold.

Bavarianrider said:
Let's face it. IF Bolt was a pale boring guy from Europe everybody would call him a fraud. He would be considered a Mühlegg 2.0
But as he is a cool guy from Jamaica, nobody doubts him. That's just the way it is.

This is true and Alan Wells got away with it and then disappeared into relative obscurity. Pietro Mennea, who beat Wells into silver in Moscow 1980, not surprsingly went into politics and became a Euro member of parliament. Mennea admitted to using HGH back in the 70's and 80's. I didn't think the science was good enough back then.

Victor Conte whos company BALCO provided drugs to marion jones and others says it is impossible to run 9.8 day after day without illegal help, since the jones scandal, he guesses that drug use is down in sport, but still thinks performance enhancers are being used by at least 60% of athletes.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Let's face it. IF Bolt was a pale boring guy from Europe everybody would call him a fraud. He would be considered a Mühlegg 2.0
But as he is a cool guy from Jamaica,
nobody doubts him. That's just the way it is.
Apart from this thread and wherever else on the internet they talk about doping. Where's the Christophe Lemaitre thread BTW? Yer posting with an agenda.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Digger said:
The issue I have with Lewis, isn't so much what he is saying...he is right about the Jamaicans and their lack of testing. But Lewis continuously makes himself out to have been clean...and he was no such thing.

SBS Australia recently broadcast "The Race That Shocked The World"...1988 100m men's Olympic final. Most of the participants implied they were innocent of taking PEDs. Carl was most vocal in asserting hjs innocence.

I was bemused because Carl was wearing braces.

No doubt in many an innocent occurence, however intriguing foot note.

Braces on mature adults are circumstantial evidence of HGH.

JA.Tri said:
SBS Australia recently broadcast "The Race That Shocked The World"...1988 100m men's Olympic final. Most of the participants implied they were innocent of taking PEDs. Carl was most vocal in asserting hjs innocence.

You were being set up to think that by editing and subliminal imaging. The circumstantial evidence against Johnson was overwhelming even back in 1988. The BBC steadfastly refused to suggest (subliminally or otherwise) back then that there was a problem with Johnson. It was most definitely anti-Lewis in 1988 and still is. Nobody is saying Lewis is clean but the documentary was hypocritical. No mention was made of the no less ridiculous sprints in Moscow 1980 and Barcelona 1992. All this documentary revealed is the anti-Americanism which continues to exist in the UK and its diaspora.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
buckle said:
You were being set up to think that by editing and subliminal imaging. The circumstantial evidence against Johnson was overwhelming even back in 1988. The BBC steadfastly refused to suggest (subliminally or otherwise) back then that there was a problem with Johnson. It was most definitely anti-Lewis in 1988 and still is. Nobody is saying Lewis is clean but the documentary was hypocritical. No mention was made of the no less ridiculous sprints in Moscow 1980 and Barcelona 1996. All this documentary revealed is the anti-Americanism which continues to exist in the UK and its diaspora.

Thank you for your view as it fleshes out and increases my perspective.

I did not infer an anti-American sentiment (not saying it was not there). I also did not take an anti-Lewis view from the doco. I guess I was already biased against Carl....in that I had observed/perceived physionomy changes in Carl over the years. These changes were consistent with my limited understanding at the time (still limited to lay person) of HGH.

To be complete, I admired his style and technique, but was increasingly disheartened by his manner and holier than thou attitude.

JA.Tri said:
Thank you for your view as it fleshes out and increases my perspective.

I did not infer an anti-American sentiment (not saying it was not there). I also did not take an anti-Lewis view from the doco. I guess I was already biased against Carl....in that I had observed/perceived physionomy changes in Carl over the years. These changes were consistent with my limited understanding at the time (still limited to lay person) of HGH.

To be complete, I admired his style and technique, but was increasingly disheartened by his manner and holier than thou attitude.

It's to be wondered if members of the American black "community" ponder the irony of being disliked by many around the World for simply being American? It must be a very confusing experience when they encounter the prejudice.

JA.Tri said:

Ridiculous assertion. Some of our parents didnt have money to foot a $6k bill cash for braces, or teeth were not bad until maturity.

Once he had money, he wanted his teeth straight.

Also, why dont you go talk to your local orthodontist. Ask them what percentage of their patients are adults. You might be surprised.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

If not it is also a case of staying between the parameters like the Bio Pass.

Nice interview with Bolt, the man is just THA LEGEND MANNN ;)

TheInternet said:
Yes; this was one of FLandis' downfalls, the presence of exogenous testosterone in his urine sample. However, a better question may be whether or not they test to determine if the testosterone is endogenous or exogenous if the T/E ratio is below the threshold.

Google "Landis weighted isotope".

zigmeister said:
Ridiculous assertion. Some of our parents didnt have money to foot a $6k bill cash for braces, or teeth were not bad until maturity.

Also, why dont you go talk to your local orthodontist. Ask them what percentage of their patients are adults. You might be surprised.

Agreed.

I didn't get braces until I had finished one Olympic sport and started cycling. Odd that I needed them then.

Ooops. Didn't mean to say that. ;)

Dave.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
zigmeister said:

I readily concede that many adults will have braces fitted for the reason you state (among other non-PED reasons).

That does not negate the fact that HGH use may well result in altered bone structure...in turn resulting in fitting of braces.

Ridiculous assertion??? Incorrect in this case?...maybe. Ridiculous, I beg to differ. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
buckle said:
It's to be wondered if members of the American black "community" ponder the irony of being disliked by many around the World for simply being American? It must be a very confusing experience when they encounter the prejudice.

Where do you obtain the "take" that I dislike "Americans" because they are American? Or for that matter that I dislike "African Americans"???

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
buckle said:
You were being set up to think that by editing and subliminal imaging. The circumstantial evidence against Johnson was overwhelming even back in 1988. The BBC steadfastly refused to suggest (subliminally or otherwise) back then that there was a problem with Johnson. It was most definitely anti-Lewis in 1988 and still is. Nobody is saying Lewis is clean but the documentary was hypocritical. No mention was made of the no less ridiculous sprints in Moscow 1980 and Barcelona 1992. All this documentary revealed is the anti-Americanism which continues to exist in the UK and its diaspora.

Anti-Lewis? Hardly, for 2 weeks now they've been going on about how great he is all the time. I fail to see that being uncomfortable with certain aspects of American culture is either unique in any way to Britain or even necessarily a bad thing.