• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde 2012?

jencredible said:
Any news as to who will sign him? Or his race program?

That he has a Movistar kit and Movistar colours bike means he won't fly far from the nest.

As for races, I'd expect the usual kind of thing; some Trofeo Mallorca stuff, either Murcía or Paris-Nice, Catalunya, País Vasco and the associated 1-day races, Ardennes, Romandie, Dauphiné, Tour, San Sebastián, maybe Burgos, Vuelta, Worlds.

Maybe now his suspension is over he might give some Italian races a tilt. Tirreno-Adriatico is right up his alley, and you wouldn't want to bet against him in a race like Emilia either. Mind you, if he did them the Canadian races would suit him too.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
it will be a comeback a la rebellin,he might not win a big one but he will have the form to be competitive for the first race.he trained a lot all this time.

considering his sprint he will just win as many races as he did before, maybe some less because of gilbert

Which leads us to a fairly interesting question:

Who in the peloton is the inheritor of the amazingness that is Vino?

On topic: What kind of classics-support will Valverde have in Movistar 2012, if hes signing there?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Shardi said:

On topic: What kind of classics-support will Valverde have in Movistar 2012, if hes signing there?

Voeckler on present form...

They signed Visconti, didn't they? I had a look and the team's performance in the Ardennes was forgettable. Kiryienka might be a useful helper.

In most of the recent comebacks, riders haven't done too well straight away.
Vino didn't have a very good Vuelta 09.
IIRC Basso didn't do as well as people expected in Giro 09, 4th place or something.
Kashechkin hasn't really had it at all since he came back, especially considering the hype he got by some on here.
Di Luca has been pretty poor all year.
Rebellin has done well, but he's been riding at a lower level - 2.1, 1.1 etc.

I don't think Piti will be beating Gilbert in April.

Shardi said:

di luca if he wants to suffer again like in his best days,but i've heard he might not :(

i have a feeling that in fact duarte might become a rider like vino.

luckyboy said:
In most of the recent comebacks, riders haven't done too well straight away.
Vino didn't have a very good Vuelta 09.
IIRC Basso didn't do as well as people expected in Giro 09, 4th place or something.
Kashechkin hasn't really had it at all since he came back, especially considering the hype he got by some on here.
Di Luca has been pretty poor all year.
Rebellin has done well, but he's been riding at a lower level - 2.1, 1.1 etc.

I don't think Piti will be beating Gilbert in April.

But if Valverde is back racing in February he could be up to speed by April. Let's not forget, also, that most of those guys were racing up until the point of being caught doping, so theoretically (of course, and with the danger of getting this post removed or transferred to the Clinic) they would have been at a relatively high level of doping (enough to get caught) right up until the moment they were suspended, hence took a while to adapt to the péloton at that same level again.

Valverde's case is different. The doping in question (in the form of the bag) dated all the way back to 2004. As he was closely monitored in the interim period between being linked to Puerto and being suspended, there's a good chance that his amount of doping was lower, more subtle, or absent entirely for a while before his suspension began. And hence he could theoretically re-enter the sport at the same level of preparation, and not take as long to readjust to the péloton's pace.

Libertine Seguros said:
But if Valverde is back racing in February he could be up to speed by April. Let's not forget, also, that most of those guys were racing up until the point of being caught doping, so theoretically (of course, and with the danger of getting this post removed or transferred to the Clinic) they would have been at a relatively high level of doping (enough to get caught) right up until the moment they were suspended, hence took a while to adapt to the péloton at that same level again.

Valverde's case is different. The doping in question (in the form of the bag) dated all the way back to 2004. As he was closely monitored in the interim period between being linked to Puerto and being suspended, there's a good chance that his amount of doping was lower, more subtle, or absent entirely for a while before his suspension began. And hence he could theoretically re-enter the sport at the same level of preparation, and not take as long to readjust to the péloton's pace.

You are right in pointing out that Valverde's case is very specific. I hope Valverde starts in February with the goal of peaking for the Ardennes classics. At least his return gives me the hope of a battle royal in the hills.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

He won't be back to pace that quickly. History tells us that is is very unlikely that he will get back up to speed that quickly. Anyway, Evans, Phil and Greg will crush El Imbatido!!!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I still think Valverde should be banned till after Romandie. Give him his results of 2010 back and ban him for a full 2 years. He basically got of with a 1.5 year ban. Though I guess his 4 year ban in Italian races kinda justifies it.

But Valverde hasn't looked like his 2008 super self in 2009 and 2010 anyway. In the classics of course. He only won the Klasika Primavera over 2 years.

Unless Phil becomes a one week stage racer, I don't see much of a duel except in Liège-Bastogne-Liège. Valverde isn't good at the Amstel Gold Race and despite winning on Fleche Wallone he'll never be a favorite for that kinda race with the likes of Contador, Evans, Gilbert and Rodriguez.

Valverde rarely races in Italy, even before his ban. He didn't enter the Giro di Lombardia in 2006, 2007 and 2008 despite still being allowed to race in Italy. I also don't see him compete in Milan-San Remo, the last time he entered that was when Pippo won. And he has never ridden races like Gent-Wevelgem, E3 Prijs Vlaanderen and the Ronde van Vlaanderen. So no duel between the two there either.

The only other race where they're likely to compete is the Clasica San Sebastian. With the Vuelta taking place during the Canadian races you won't see him there either.

Valverde has a totally different program than Philippe. Instead of doing Tirreno-Adriatico he prefers Paris-Nice. Instead of racing the Flemish classics(cobbled ones and the Brabantse Pijl) he's racing in Pais Vasco. Instead of doing the Tour of Belgium he's preparing for the Dauphiné Liberé. In the Tour they'll probably meet although they could both skip that, who knows. I think Phil will now prefer to do the Canadian races over the Vuelta, so they won't face each other there either. Valverde has never shown much interest in races like Piemonte, Emilia and Lombardia, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a duel there either.

There's still the World championships of course.

Ps: As for LBL 2010. It wasn't Valverde who brought Phil back after he got away on the Saint Nicholas. Cadel Evans did all the work with Valverde sitting on his wheel. He was cooked. He's just lucky to be very fast on a flat finish.

Did UCI end up bringing some rule about returning dopers not accruing points for first year, or was that just a possiblity?

That would obviously affect things, no point winning if doest earn points for the team

Hugh

El Pistolero said:
I still think Valverde should be banned till after Romandie.

Scared already:p

You are right, Piti wont challenge Cauberg or Huy but the rest of your comment acts as if GTs were totally worthless.

Id say its quite impressive to perform as he did in the classics in 09 and 10 while winning stages left right and centre, and podiuming or winning all stage races he entered + winning La Vuelta.

The guy won 2 stages and came 2nd on another 3 in Pais Vasco for example.

Theres no duel between Gilbert and Valverde. Piti is the strongest to challenge Phil but Valverde also has other things beside 1 dayers on his mind.

Valverde could compete in a few races. Strade Bianche and maybe M-SR if he was not banned/ liked them. He could then do the Ardennes to challenge Gilbert, though he won't win after his layoff. He'll do the TDF for the publicity and might then have a crack at the Vuelta. He could target the worlds as well next year.

I just wonder how much support Movistar will have to offer in some races. Breuesghin could do well and Kiryienka will help. He will have to let BC do the pace making. Visconti for him will be crucial. Maybe they can do better than Katusha have???

TRENDING THREADS