• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Video interview with Floyd Landis

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Listening to the interview is like re-reading all the forums who were stating the same thing all along, basically verification of our speculation. Surprising we were always guessing right all along. Most is a rehash of what he's said before but I like the added details and views.

sniper said:
it is an opinion like any other. but it certainly is not reasonable.

Remember Floyd on his first press-conference after the positive?
How is that comparable to Lance's style of hardcore lying?
Lance even picked up the phone to advice Floyd on how to lie more convincingly.
So that opinion (though valid like any other) is certainly not reasonable.

Also, Floyd and Tyler have stopped lying (regardless of their motivations). Again, that's not exactly like Lance, as you (or the other poster) put it.

I gotta love it: "Hardcore Lying" vs. "Softcore Lying." Floyd is a pretty hardcore liar, I've got to say. He went on TV and lied his posterior off--and he defrauded people out of money. He's a con-man. I can still remember poor Tyler and Tugboat. That's pretty hardcore, too. We definitely agree that Lance is a "hardcore liar," though.

I suppose the same reasoning applies to "Hardcore Doping" vs. "Softcore Doping." Does that mean sophisticated microdosing is "better" than the intake of larger doping amounts? Or is stupid doping "better" than "clever" doping? Is doping alone "better" than doping with others?

A liar is a liar and a doper is a doper. Every doper in the pro peloton is necessarily a liar.

Lance, Floyd, and Tyler are nothing more than cancerous tumors growing out of a sick host.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
ricara said:
I thought one of the parts with the most implications was when Landis said that Bruyneel orchestrated all of the team doping on USPS.

To me this explains very clearly how Bruyneel "coached" Contador to victory in 2007 and 2009. It explains very clearly why ASO banned Astana from the 2008 TdF. It explains where Contador learned to dope, even after he left Bruyneel (just as Landis had). It explains very clearly how Horner and Leipheimer have ridden far beyond their true abilities on Team Radio Shack, especially given their age.

A disgusting element in all of this is Trek and the actions of John Burke. He attacked LeMond in various ways, broke his contract, ruined the bicycle brand, and all through this supported Lance and Bruyneel. I have no doubt that Burke knew what was going on. Like Nike, he doesn't care how he wins, just as long as he wins. Two disgusting companies.

Bruyneel is still a cancer in the sport, and he no doubt still has financial ties to Lance. It will be a great day for cycling when Novitsky lances the boil that is Armstrong.

Thank you for saving me the time and effort...you've summed up my feeling quite well.

I recommend you watch each "individual" segment rather than the "full interview" version. The individual segments contain quite a bit more detail than the edited full version.

Credible is the word that comes to my mind after watching.

steelciocc said:
I recommend you watch each "individual" segment rather than the "full interview" version. The individual segments contain quite a bit more detail than the edited full version.

The circumstances indicate Floyd is very credible when he talks about doping. Lying about doping to retain status and wealth is one level of risk. Lying to federal investigators and to federal courts is a whole 'nother dimension of risk. I totally agree.

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
steelciocc said:

this. i'm still surprised at people still think lance didn't dope.

They couldn't have thrown him $15 and taken him to Great Clips first? What kind of low budget interview outfit is this? Oh, that is the hairstyle he desired? Never mind.

Seriously...I love the fact that he shines the light into the dark corner of cycling that needs to be cleaned up before this sport is ever taken seriously by other than a tiny cult following.

Stage 17. Epic.... Greatest. Doped. Performance. EVER.

ggusta said:
They couldn't have thrown him $15 and taken him to Great Clips first? What kind of low budget interview outfit is this? Oh, that is the hairstyle he desired? Never mind.

Seriously...I love the fact that he shines the light into the dark corner of cycling that needs to be cleaned up before this sport is ever taken seriously by other than a tiny cult following.

Stage 17. Epic.... Greatest. Doped. Performance. EVER.

That statement is probably an insult to the great Eddy Merckx.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
the last few minutes are boring...I don't really care what this guy is doing with his life tbh.
Hmmm, I found that to be the most interesting part. It's the one bit of information that is totally new. I think that NASCAR will suit Floyd's personality quite well. I'd be willing to bet that the fan base could care less about whatever Floyd might have done while "riding around in tights." They'll probably welcome him into a "real" American sport.

ludwig said:
Carmichael was "a complete smoke-screen, not a coach at all". Ferrari was Lance's real coach.

Berzin said:
I've been saying for years that Chris "Extract of Cortisone" Carmichael was a clown, and had nothing to do with Armstrong's training regimen.
Yup. That was my favorite part, by far. He doesn't leave any room for interpretation there.

Velodude said:
However, I believe he is measured in his "evidence" of team doping. It is hard to accept that he was only privy to two occasions (bus & hotel room) of team doping over 3 years.
I think he was referring only the occasions where he witnessed the entire team at once.

Velodude said:
Also, I expected him to confirm the Armstrong/Bruyneel anger against him (for joining Phonak) in his last USPS year by flushing his top up of blood down the toilet in his presence on the rest day.
Careful with that. He already discredited that story in the Kimmage interview. According to Floyd, they discarded blood simply because they didn't need it. They were trying to avoid embarrassing themselves further by being even more dominant than they already were.

MarkvW said:
He went on TV and lied his posterior off--and he defrauded people out of money. He's a con-man.
Grow up and stop feigning ignorance on the subject. The majority of Floyd's "donations" came from Lance's inner circle in the hope of squashing the whole story. They all new where the truth would lead and none of them wanted to go there. But you knew that already.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
steelciocc said:

Thanks for that tip! There is a LOT more info in those separate clips.

It's obvious that Floyd has completely moved on from cycling, and that's what makes him such a threat to Lance Inc. Nearly everyone has that has stood up to Armstrong has always had to balance the risk vs gains of doing so. Seeing that Floyd has no ambitions to be a DS, coach, trainer, advisor, commentator, company spokesperson, or have any other role in the world of cycling, he has comfortably put himself outside the sphere of Armstrong's influence.
This may be a first for one of LA's "opponents."

And to paraphrase Mark Twain: It would seem that the reports of Floyd's demise were greatly exaggerated. ;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ricara said:
To me this explains very clearly how Bruyneel "coached" Contador to victory in 2007 and 2009. It explains very clearly why ASO banned Astana from the 2008 TdF. It explains where Contador learned to dope, even after he left Bruyneel (just as Landis had).
Hearing about the way Lance ran his team (ONLY Lance's results were priority) I'd love to hear some more behind the scenes stories about 2009 when Lance and Contador raced the Tour.....

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
It's obvious that Floyd has completely moved on from cycling, and that's what makes him such a threat to Lance Inc. Nearly everyone has that has stood up to Armstrong has always had to balance the risk vs gains of doing so.
totally this, plus the fact he has no material possessions to give up either. Nothing more dangerous than a man who has nothing. No Short riders 650c wheels No Fast bikes, Nothing can be taken from him.

Wow. Just wow.

Watch this interview, look for Floyd's eye movement cues and deception tells, then watch Lance's deposition videos. Daylight and dark. Very, very dark.

I had a chuckle three seconds before the 27 minute mark when he abruptly changed his posture, his tone of voice, and his eye movement cues. It was like he was shifting gears into a relaxed Floyd who was more willing to emote.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Thanks for that tip! There is a LOT more info in those separate clips.

It's obvious that Floyd has completely moved on from cycling, and that's what makes him such a threat to Lance Inc. Nearly everyone has that has stood up to Armstrong has always had to balance the risk vs gains of doing so. Seeing that Floyd has no ambitions to be a DS, coach, trainer, advisor, commentator, company spokesperson, or have any other role in the world of cycling, he has comfortably put himself outside the sphere of Armstrong's influence.
This may be a first for one of LA's "opponents."

And to paraphrase Mark Twain: It would seem that the reports of Floyd's demise were greatly exaggerated. ;)

+1
very well put indeed

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Questions that I would like to ask Floyd.

Who were these Doctors who were there helping to blood dope??

Who were these bus drivers that were there for the doping??

Why is Floyd protecting these people?

It seems to me that if these "little people" could be questioned, we might get a "real" story. If he refuses to give these names, maybe it never happened.

Not to say that Armstrong was clean, but Floyd is not known for being the most sane person.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
MR_Sarcastic said:

It seems to me that if these "little people" could be questioned, we might get a "real" story. If he refuses to give these names, maybe it never happened.

Not to say that Armstrong was clean, but Floyd is not known for being the most sane person.

Floyd's only obliged to tell a detailed story to the FEDs. Why ffs would he go into such detail on an american tv show? who'd care besides us here in clinic?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Velodude said:
Yes I agree. Compelling interview with a demeanour consistent with honest answers as contrasted with his post TdF positive interviews.

However, I believe he is measured in his "evidence" of team doping. It is hard to accept that he was only privy to two occasions (bus & hotel room) of team doping over 3 years.

Also, I expected him to confirm the Armstrong/Bruyneel anger against him (for joining Phonak) in his last USPS year by flushing his top up of blood down the toilet in his presence on the rest day.

Also he was only confirming what everyone else knew and documents reveal that Armstrong had control over the team (at least as a director of Tailwind Sports). A point Armstrong has been denying from the outset as it is an important plank in the Prosecution's case that Armstrong was involved in team management and, at the least, had knowledge of PED use within the team.

Also, even if Armstrong personally held no shares in Tailwind Sports he indirectly held shares through his company C&SE, which co-owned the USPS team according to ESPN.

we're talking about an indepth interview for american television with a broad audience. why expect such detail?

MR_Sarcastic said:

There has never been anything wrong with Floyd's sanity. That was the LA PR machine turning that perception out.

MR_Sarcastic said:

I think it likely there are details being closely kept for use in the investigation. When corroborated by others without having heard public mention, they are more useful pieces of information.

-dB

Granville57 said:
Grow up and stop feigning ignorance on the subject. The majority of Floyd's "donations" came from Lance's inner circle in the hope of squashing the whole story. They all new where the truth would lead and none of them wanted to go there. But you knew that already.

What's your source for "The majority of Floyd's "donations" came from Lance's inner circle . . .?" I have never seen any evidence of that. In fact, Floyd is promising (as late as 2010) to pay back his donators--I doubt he would be paying Armstrong back.

You throw out a personal insult and back it up with an unsupportable statement. What kind of a discussion is that?

Even if "the majority" of donations were from Armstrong proxies, a LOT of innocent people were conned.

You seem to be arguing that dopers can dope throughout their career, and all will be forgiven if they just come clean--after they retire.

Granville57 said:
That would still leave us with the minority of Floyd's donations. Those are a real issue.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
What's your source for "The majority of Floyd's "donations" came from Lance's inner circle . . .?" I have never seen any evidence of that. In fact, Floyd is promising (as late as 2010) to pay back his donators--I doubt he would be paying Armstrong back.

You throw out a personal insult and back it up with an unsupportable statement. What kind of a discussion is that?

Even if "the majority" of donations were from Armstrong proxies, a LOT of innocent people were conned.

You seem to be arguing that dopers can dope throughout their career, and all will be forgiven if they just come clean--after they retire.

Evidence has already been produced on the Armstrong thread to a temporary Armstrong fanboy interloper that Floyd disclosed about 70% of donations to the FFF came from identifiable LA/Tailwind backers.

The obvious intent was to assist FL in damaging the same French lab that tested LA's 1999 B samples.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" (Arabic proverb)

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
Careful with that. He already discredited that story in the Kimmage interview. According to Floyd, they discarded blood simply because they didn't need it. They were trying to avoid embarrassing themselves further by being even more dominant than they already were.

I was unaware of his clarification with Kimmage. However, I am more inclined to believe the statement of Vaughters to Andreu was factual based on a first hand account from Landis. Vaughters had to cover up by claiming heresay in the SCA deposition and Landis is riding shotgun for him in support.

The act of Armstrong/Bruyneel of not topping up Landis on the rest day was consistent conduct with other parts of the Kimmage interview.

Yeah, (in the 2004 Tour) they had me work on the front every single day on the flat stages for the first ten days; they were going to wait until I was tired and then come and talk to me. That’s what they did the first year (I rode) in the Tour – they negotiate when you’re completely ****ed and say ‘Look, everything is going to be fine, we’re going to take care of you.’ But the problem (in 2004) was that I never had a bad day. And so they came to me when I was warming-up for the last time trial (penultimate stage) and offered me $300,000 a year for three years, which was less that I was being offered for two years (at Phonak)

The motives of overworking one rider in the team then withholding his PED top up can only be construed as forcing him to abandon the Tour or submit and agree to their terms. If FL was forced to abandon he would be damaged goods to any other team interested in his services.

sniper said:
we're talking about an indepth interview for american television with a broad audience. why expect such detail?
If any detail further exemplified and epitomised the dark, bullying, malicious side of LA would be how he marginalised FL in his last year of contract to USPS (2004) as stated above.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Velodude said:
Evidence has already been produced on the Armstrong thread to a temporary Armstrong fanboy interloper that Floyd disclosed about 70% of donations to the FFF came from identifiable LA/Tailwind backers.

The obvious intent was to assist FL in damaging the same French lab that tested LA's 1999 B samples.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" (Arabic proverb)

One of Floyd's bigger donations came from an Angry LA/Taiwind Backer.
A Lance Hater as a matter of FACT.
Nothing to do with discrediting the French Labs.
"Tiger" Williams wanted to discredit Lance.
Tiger was mad that he could not Bribe Lance boo hoo.

Get your facts straight Velodude.
Although your Arabic proverb is right on lol.

WSJ Article said:
Mr. Williams, an amateur racer and former captain of the Yale hockey team, also had become friendly with Mr. Armstrong. Mr. Williams pledged $1 million to the Lance Armstrong Foundation, which helps cancer survivors, and raised money from others. But some two years after Tailwind's breakup, his dealings with Mr. Armstrong soured.

A company Mr. Williams co-owned, eSoles, wanted to sell athletic shoe liners bearing the Armstrong Foundation's "Livestrong" logo. Mr. Williams believed he had been given that right in exchange for his pledges to the foundation. But the foundation—which had an agreement with Nike, one of Mr. Armstrong's top sponsors—said no.

On April 29, 2009, Mr. Armstrong was preparing for a race in New Mexico when Mr. Williams emailed asking to speak to him immediately. Mr. Armstrong's response came just over an hour later.

"To be honest, and I say this as a good friend of yours, I don't feel like dealing with this right now," he wrote. "I'm afraid it's up to you guys to sort out. For what it's worth, and maybe a good solution, is to return you all of your money and let's all get on down the road."

Mr. Williams's logo plan unraveled, and the foundation declined to return his donations. A foundation spokeswoman says it doesn't "accept donations with strings attached" and "never had a formal relationship with, or entered into any agreement with, eSoles." Mr. Armstrong's lawyer, Tim Herman, said the foundation released Mr. Williams from the two or three remaining years of his pledge.

Mr. Williams was furious, say people familiar with the matter. He talked about suing Mr. Armstrong and said he considered their friendship over, these people say.

Late last year, after Mr. Landis's comeback fizzled, he again began thinking about speaking out about doping. He reached out to Mr. Williams, who told him the story was bound to come out and that Mr. Landis should make sure whatever he said was accurate, Mr. Landis says. Mr. Williams has said that his advice wasn't influenced by his dispute with Mr. Armstrong, according to Mr. Landis and a person familiar with the matter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704457604576011490820993006.html

TRENDING THREADS