• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
KING OF THE 2 SEAS

PIC351116WM.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
I think he wants MSR, no?

He has only one way of winning MSR. One. It's very unlikely he'll win this year.

I mean he has a card to play on the descent and that's it. There will be always few riders that will be able to follow him and most likely outsprint him.

Gloin22 said:
He has only one way of winning MSR. One. It's very unlikely he'll win this year.

I mean he has a card to play on the descent and that's it. There will be always few riders that will be able to follow him and most likely outsprint him.

He realizes that, I realize that. Doesn't mean he won't try as I believe he has always wanted MSR. I don't think he can win, but he can podium.

Just want to know if he is going for it, MSR is 5 days away and I can't read Italian.

Gloin22 said:

have you watched the last 2 M-SR? the Only way for Vincezo to win it is IF the finish line is "at the Top of the Poggio"-the descent is actually where he always gets caught & then on the flat lask 2k there is no way he's uotsprinting anyone...

Carols said:
He realizes that, I realize that. Doesn't mean he won't try as I believe he has always wanted MSR. I don't think he can win, but he can podium.
But he already podiumed. :)
Maybe he promised Peter yesterday, he'll help him win by not participating in MSR. LBL is a better target.

As another poster said, he just have one way to do it, same as he did last year.

Congratulations to Nibali! I've always liked him but he just keeps growing on me. Very well deserved victory - that's how a race should be won.

Regarding MSR, I think he can definitely podium again. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him and Sagan alone at the finish line. His only chance to win is that Sagan crashes, though.

Two things to consider regarding the giro:
1) nibbles time in the tt today was 5 seconds faster than last year (correct me if I'm wrong). His position looked improved also. But he's always been good in short itts. He needs to step up in longer ones to have a chance against Wiggins.

2) astana was crap the whole week. Don't even know how many of their riders finished. I'm hoping they'll improve before the giro starts.

Bernie's eyesore said:
Nibbles will have to help Sagan win MSR to pay him back for him helping Nibbles win TA. This is a fact.

I'm inclined to think that Sagan had one thing in mind on that stage and that was winning the stage. Nibali and Purito knew they had no chance whatsoever in the sprint with Sagan. Their goals were TA win for Nibali and the podium for Purito. No deals were struck. (Can't tell sometimes if you're being serious or not!:eek:)

SafeBet said:
Two things to consider regarding the giro:
1) nibbles time in the tt today was 5 seconds faster than last year (correct me if I'm wrong). His position looked improved also. But he's always been good in short itts. He needs to step up in longer ones to have a chance against Wiggins.

2) astana was crap the whole week. Don't even know how many of their riders finished. I'm hoping they'll improve before the giro starts.
It's a sure thing that Vincenzo will improve more, and he'll have the A team with him. Sir Wiggo is the only one that should be worry, not you. :)

Angliru said:
I'm inclined to think that Sagan had one thing in mind on that stage and that was winning the stage. Nibali and Purito knew they had no chance whatsoever in the sprint with Sagan. Their goals were TA win for Nibali and the podium for Purito. No deals were struck. (Can't tell sometimes if you're being serious or not!:eek:)
In case you missed it. Sagan said he took turns because Nibali is a friend. He didn't have to do that, he would have won either way.

cineteq said:
In case you missed it. Sagan said he took turns because Nibali is a friend. He didn't have to do that, he would have won either way.

...and that means a deal was struck for Nibali to help Sagan at MSR? I figured they would work together in the break since Nibali and Sagan were former teammates, not because of any agreement for future services.

Angliru said:
...and that means a deal was struck for Nibali to help Sagan at MSR? I figured they would work together in the break since Nibali and Sagan were former teammates, not because of any agreement for future services.

Can't really see a deal on MSR, Astana will have their plans

Interestingly Cadel was quite happy to pull for Froome

May 19, 2011
Visit site
del1962 said:
Can't really see a deal on MSR, Astana will have their plans

Interestingly Cadel was quite happy to pull for Froome

I also found that intriguing, as a race leader CF is siting at the back of the chasing group. I guess Evans is just doing his own stuff building form for Tour

TRENDING THREADS