• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
webvan said:
It will probably be hard to hold on tomorrow, he might do it. Still, let's be realistic, this was an opportunistic win today, after several days if struggling for him, that's not how a GT is won...

ya because tomorrow we have a 50k flat time trial :rolleyes:

on this course nibali lost 20 seconds on cancellara last year. . . as if froome or contador can be that much stronger then cancellara over 10k

webvan said:
It will probably be hard to hold on tomorrow, he might do it. Still, let's be realistic, this was an opportunistic win today, after several days if struggling for him, that's not how a GT is won...
Sorry for the bad news but your hero doesn't think he can do it.

@chrisfroome
Killer stage today. We emptied ourselves out there to try retain the lead but this time it wasn't enough. TT tomorrow to wrap things up.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:

So how a GT should be won? Boring as hell like last year Tof? Never heard of there should be a winning fomula for GT. Oh wait maybe SKY just invent it last year. LOL

And opportunity only favor those who are prepared;)

maxmartin said:
So how a GT should be won? Boring as hell like last year Tof? Never heard of there should be a winning fomula for GT. Oh wait maybe SKY just invent it last year. LOL

And opportunity only favor those who are prepared;)

So when was the last time a GT was won in a descent as opposed to climbs and ITTs? None that I can think of since 1978. Again, it was a perfect move by Nibali (and Purito) today but let's be realistic, it would take a bit of a miracle for Nibali to beat in-form riders like Wiggo or Froome or Bertie (even the current one).

webvan said:
So when was the last time a GT was won in a descent as opposed to climbs and ITTs? None that I can think of since 1978. Again, it was a perfect move by Nibali (and Purito) today but let's be realistic, it would take a bit of a miracle for Nibali to beat in-form riders like Wiggo or Froome or Bertie (even the current one).

Contador and Evans dropped the Shlecks in 2011 on a decent in the first week of the Tour.

Evans won.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
webvan said:

oh yeah and miracle just happened today LOL
why can't you CF fan boy accept the defeat and move on.
I dislike CF in so many ways, but at least he has sort of class admitting the defeat and mistake. Not some whining complaining type whose name I shall not mention here.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
webvan said:
You must be right, Nibali did not win la Vuelta.

Trolling?

webvan said:

Actually Savoldelli won the 2005 Giro due to his descending abilities.