• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 449 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have a feeling that this final climb suits Nibali much better than Stage 5 finish... first of all it is longer with close to 5km, it is more steadier with lot of 10-13% where he should have better chance to stay with punchier riders. The really steep section (+15%) is relatively short (around 800m or so) and comes after more than 2km in around 10% so Moscon might not be in help there. And of course the descent to finish. This reminds a lot the Stage 6 ultimate climb without the first 3-4km which were relatively gentle there. And the steep section is much shorter here.

But of course he needs to have legs to execute, but he has a fair chance to limit the losses to max 10-20 sec.

Re:

bambino said:
I have a feeling that this final climb suits Nibali much better than Stage 5 finish... first of all it is longer with close to 5km, it is more steadier with lot of 10-13% where he should have better chance to stay with punchier riders. The really steep section (+15%) is relatively short (around 800m or so) and comes after more than 2km in around 10% so Moscon might not be in help there. And of course the descent to finish. This reminds a lot the Stage 6 ultimate climb without the first 3-4km which were relatively gentle there. And the steep section is much shorter here.

But of course he needs to have legs to execute, but he has a fair chance to limit the losses to max 10-20 sec.

The descent is pretty much straight down

Re:

skippo12 said:
Great performance today: Only lost 17s too Froome and was the 3rd last to get dropped. One more murito to go and he is still within 1 minute in the GC. He seems to be improving and even more important his team is getting better as well.
Great it's a big word. Anyway he did a decent job, lpoks like he's improving.

He did well today considering this climb doesn't suit him. His form is surely improving and he is probably going to be one of the strongest climbers when the race hits the real mountains. When you factor in the time Chaves will lose in the TT and the fact that Contador is 3 mins down, Nibali should be the biggest threat to Froome.

Re:

bob.a.feet said:
He did well today considering this climb doesn't suit him. His form is surely improving and he is probably going to be one of the strongest climbers when the race hits the real mountains. When you factor in the time Chaves will lose in the TT and the fact that Contador is 3 mins down, Nibali should be the biggest threat to Froome.

I agree with this, the trend and the situation was kind of expected by most.
It remains to be seen if Froome fades, that would complete Slongo plans, otherwise podium looks certainly possible as a minimum.
But this Vuelta is very hard, everything can happen, isn't that why we love this GC so much?
Unpredictable !

Re: Re:

Climbing said:
bob.a.feet said:

I agree with this, the trend and the situation was kind of expected by most.
It remains to be seen if Froome fades, that would complete Slongo plans, otherwise podium looks certainly possible as a minimum.
But this Vuelta is very hard, everything can happen, isn't that why we love this GC so much?
Unpredictable !
Yeah with TT the very least he can expect is the podium. But if his form continues to improve then he must know that he can win.

Encouraging that he was as strong as or stronger than guys that should be better on these steep short climbs such as Chavez and Yatesx2. He didn't crack. Of course, he will need to start taking back time, but I cannot imagine Froome will be as strong relative to Nibali than he is now towards the end of the Vuelta.

A lot better than I feared. He is visibly improving which bodes well, and was the last one dropped today (apart from the mighty Contador). Trying to follow as much as possible was the right call today rather than going tempo because it was still a short climb and Froome only really started pushing in the second half of the climb. Hopefully he'll lose a similar amount of time tomorrow, no more than 30 (at most), hopefully less than 15

He did exactly what I predicted before the stage.

Tomorrow is really crucial, Bahrain needs to have the team well place to hit that Murito as the steepest section is in the 1st km. If he can stay with Froome/Berto that first hit, there will be a chance that he won't get dropped at all, or less than 10 sec.

The goal has to be that the deficit stays under minute to Froome after Muritos.

Re:

bambino said:

Tomorrow is really crucial, Bahrain needs to have the team well place to hit that Murito as the steepest section is in the 1st km. If he can stay with Froome/Berto that first hit, there will be a chance that he wont't get dropped at all, or less than 10 sec.

Froome's not gonna go on the first hit. Froome will do as he did the last time they did Cumbre del Sol. I'd say sit on Froome's wheel all the way up to when Froome takes off and then limit the damage.

Red Rick said:
bambino said:

Tomorrow is really crucial, Bahrain needs to have the team well place to hit that Murito as the steepest section is in the 1st km. If he can stay with Froome/Berto that first hit, there will be a chance that he wont't get dropped at all, or less than 10 sec.

Froome's not gonna go on the first hit. Froome will do as he did the last time they did Cumbre del Sol. I'd say sit on Froome's wheel all the way up to when Froome takes off and then limit the damage.
Might not be too smart if Froome will deploy the atomic yoyo.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
bambino said:

Might not be too smart if Froome will deploy the atomic yoyo.

Froome yoyo's on the power meter. He only does it when the peloton is going above an optimal speed. You won't blow up if you sit on him until he takes off.

Red Rick said:
bambino said:

you'd think they would have learned that by now

TRENDING THREADS